Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rumor - Mo Williams Headed To Raptors?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rumor - Mo Williams Headed To Raptors?

Trade talk involving Mo Williams mostly involves Toronto. Nothing serious at this stage. Delonte West is a goner for sure. 2 minutes ago via web
    http://twitter.com/SamAmico

In?

@stackmack All source said is Calderon's name is the one being mentioned for Raps. But again, seems like mostly speculation right now Holly. half a minute ago via web in reply to stackmack

Out?

No Haggle or Haggle?
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Jun 6, 2010, 01:26 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Mo Williams would fit better with Hedo.

Williams is used to playing with a PF; i.e. King James.

If this trade goes down it could mean that Hedo stays?

Then again Williams showed that he was not a bad point guard with the Bucks when he handled the ball more than at Cleveland. So if this trade happens Hedo could still be gone.

Interesting stuff.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Bob Finnan of N-H also mentions Mo-for-Calderon swap:
      http://www.news-herald.com/articles/.../nh2600140.txt
      Rumor mill

-- If the Cavs decide to trade Mo Williams, one possible destination could be Toronto in exchange for Jose Calderon. Williams is a more dynamic scorer and Calderon is more of a distributor. Both are great free-throw shooters, but neither player is a good defender.

Their contracts are similar in amount and length. The Raptors would like to move Calderon and swingman Hedo Turkoglu.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/.../nh2600140.txt

Comment

This only makes sense if the Raptors plan to compete next year. I suppose trading him for Calderon makes sense since Jack/Calderon isn't working out and we need a scorer.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
          This only makes sense if the Raptors plan to compete next year. I suppose trading him for Calderon makes sense since Jack/Calderon isn't working out and we need a scorer.
          I don't like this trade.

Williams is not a much better defender than Calderon and Calderon is a better distributor with a lot fewer turnovers. Calderon is also a better shooter, though not by that much.

The Raptors don't need more scorers or scoring. They need better defenders.

i would go for a Calderon for Stuckey trade, even with Stuckey's occasional none heart related fainting problem. Stuckey is one of the better defending PG in the league. However since he is as much a #2 as a #1 I could see him and Jack on the court together being very effective.

The Raptors would lose some three point shooting but Stuckey gets to the foul line at a very high rate and is an above average free throw shooter.

However, I doubt that the Pistons would trade Stuckey for Calderon and Stuckey makes a lot less than Calderon so some money balancing would have to be included unless it became a multi-player deal.

Bottom line it is more of a wish trade for the Raptors than anything that I think could happen.

Comment

Mo Williams is the better player overall, he's a good guy and so I like the trade.

Oh and by the way...

Mo's final three years 2010/11: $9,300,000; 2011/12: $8,500,000; 2012/13: $8,500,000

Jose's final three years 2010/11: $9,000,000; 2011/12: $9,780,993; 2012/13: $10,561,985

What that means is that there is also some costs savings going on here. The Raptors stand to save around $3M in salary. That may not sound like much but when you're a team that's planning to pay luxury tax it could equal savings of as much as $6M.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Mo Williams is the better player overall,
              Curious what do you base that statement on?

1. It can't be the Bucks record when he was their PG. In his 4 years as their PG they won 30, 40, 28 and 26 games.

2. It can't be his overall stats because Calderon has a better career offense and defense rating as well as a higher career WS/48 despite the fact that Williams had a two year bump in his by playing with Lebron.

3. I don't believe that Williams has ever played in the Olympics. Yes the U.S.A. has been better than Spain but not by much.

So, what do you base you straight up statement on? Just curious.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...willima01.html

Comment

I don't understand why we are making this trade. It is true that Mo needs the ball less and all but he is an awful defender and we really need to tie things up front when we have AB back there.

Plus, isn't Hedo leaving anyway ?

Comment

K im done with calderon we've had him since hes been a rookie. The guy hasn't really improved much. Williams is in a different class. Dude got skills. BC needs to change the image of this team starting with all these useless European players. Excuse me but its usually black athletes that win championships in this day and age. Unfortunately theyre arent anymore Larry Birds.

BTW im not racist its just a coincidence..
                  We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                    K im done with calderon we've had him since hes been a rookie. The guy hasn't really improved much. Williams is in a different class. Dude got skills. BC needs to change the image of this team starting with all these useless European players. Excuse me but its usually black athletes that win championships in this day and age. Unfortunately theyre arent anymore Larry Birds.

BTW im not racist its just a coincidence..
                    That statement limits the basketball universe to America straight up.

Fortunately basketball is played world wide and outside of America your statement does not hold water.

Even in world competition including America, the U.S.A. does not win all the time and the competitive level is getting closer and closer.

Kenny "the Jet" Smith said the subject and I think that there is some truth to what he is saying on the subject.

The NBA consists mostly of athletes and to a lesser extent basketball players.
                    FIBA consists mostly of basketball players and to a lesser extent athletes

When you read the scouting reports of almost every potential NBA draft prospect they all talk about how athletic he is. They rarely talk about a prospects basketball IQ and when they do it is usually only guys who are not considered very athletic. It is almost like. Okay he is not very athletic but he has a high basketball IQ.

The NBA is a league of athletes that coaches and general managers hope that they can make into basketball players.

Not that that is a bad thing at all. It certainly makes for a more exciting game although not necessarily a better one.
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Jun 6, 2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Like earlier posts mentioned, no one is really winning here. It's just a change of scenario type of trade and the pros/cons of both players pretty much balance each other out.

However, people always talk about team cohesiveness and that very rarely do you get a team that's been together for a long time. I would think familiarity and having played with each other before has some impact on performance and is an intangible characteristic. Would this trade make sense then? Is Williams, who might be a better scorer, worst distributor and same defensive ability as Calderon worth undermining the team chemistry/cohesiveness?

Maybe if we got a better defender in return, then it would make the team better, so yes. But I'd rather keep Calderon and stick with the familiarity factor than get Williams.

Comment

bodmon wrote: View Post
                        Like earlier posts mentioned, no one is really winning here. It's just a change of scenario type of trade and the pros/cons of both players pretty much balance each other out.

However, people always talk about team cohesiveness and that very rarely do you get a team that's been together for a long time. I would think familiarity and having played with each other before has some impact on performance and is an intangible characteristic. Would this trade make sense then? Is Williams, who might be a better scorer, worst distributor and same defensive ability as Calderon worth undermining the team chemistry/cohesiveness?

Maybe if we got a better defender in return, then it would make the team better, so yes. But I'd rather keep Calderon and stick with the familiarity factor than get Williams.
                        +1

Comment

I don't see the point of this trade. How much would the Raptors would improve by doing this? Not very much I'd say.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

I've never liked Mo WIlliams. He's not a great defender, doesn't make his teammates better and his only real strength is scoring. And I really, really don't think WIlliams is a better player than Calderon. Not by a long shot. I think Cleveland would be a better team with Calderon than Williams, and I don't think Toronto would be any better with Williams.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              Curious what do you base that statement on?

1. It can't be the Bucks record when he was their PG. In his 4 years as their PG they won 30, 40, 28 and 26 games.

2. It can't be his overall stats because Calderon has a better career offense and defense rating as well as a higher career WS/48 despite the fact that Williams had a two year bump in his by playing with Lebron.

3. I don't believe that Williams has ever played in the Olympics. Yes the U.S.A. has been better than Spain but not by much.

So, what do you base you straight up statement on? Just curious.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...willima01.html
                              He's far more aggressive on offense. He's a far better 3pt shooter. He's a better defender. He's more athletic, faster on his feet.

1. The Bucks teams were in rebuild mode. How's his record with the Cavs?
                              2. Mo had a higher true shooting percentage. Actually, his defensive rating was better than Jose's (107 Mo vs. 116 Jose in 2009/10). Oh and the net between offensive rating and defensive rating is +5 for Mo compare to +3 for Jose.
                              3. Mo could make the Spanish national team with his eyes closed.

Comment

Working...
                              X