James Worthy Says LeBron is a Quitter If He Leaves Cleveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Worthy Says LeBron is a Quitter If He Leaves Cleveland

If LeBron doesn’t re-sign with the Cavs this summer, he’s a quitter. Or so says former Laker great and three-time NBA champion James Worthy.

“My personal opinion is a lot of times when you lose and you leave, it sounds like a quitter,” the seven-time All-Star told the New York Post. “I would never want to leave without accomplishing the goal.”

Though Worthy believes The King will ultimately decide to stay in his home state, he doesn’t think the Cavs’ supporting cast is capable of bringing him a title.

“He’s in a position to tell the team what he wants,” Worthy said. “If they don’t give it to him, I don’t think he wants a Kevin Garnett situation where he’s there 11 years, 12 years. He’s got to ask for the same thing Larry Bird had, Magic had, he needs another Hall of Famer around. But I still see him in Cleveland.”

And even if the Knicks were to offer James a massive contract and Chris Bosh as a sidekick, Worthy can’t see The Chosen One bolting for New York.

“It would be tough with [the Knicks’] current team,” Worthy said. “He’d stay in Cleveland for that. The Knicks would have to make some moves. Wherever he goes, they’re going to have to make moves. He’s been in the league seven years. He’s not going to stand for status quo. Antawn Jamison is a good player, Shaq is an older veteran, but they still haven’t given him enough.

“Larry Bird had Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, Dennis Johnson and Magic had Kareem, myself, [Bob] McAdoo. I don’t think LeBron has received what he needs. Kobe got Pau [Gasol], [Ron] Artest, players that can get the job done.”

As for LeBron’s ongoing comparison to Kobe, who’s vying for his fifth title in this year’s Finals, Worthy said that, until The King gets a ring, he can never be on the same level as Bryant.

“Fans who go by MVP awards, they go with that,” Worthy said. “I go with the finishing product, who’s standing in June. The torch has been passed to LeBron. But I don’ think LeBron has gotten to where he needs to get to be mentioned in that [Kobe] conversation.”
    SI.com

I think KD will get a NBA Finals ring before Lebron. just saying.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      I think KD will get a NBA Finals ring before Lebron. just saying.
      You should turn that into an article for The Bleacher Report!
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Why do ppl always say LBJ's got no help in Cleveland? Shaq is older, but still a force , Jamieson and Williams were all-stars, Varajeo? is a decent hustle guy. When they got Jamieson, everyone thought that was the last piece and they would cruise to the finals. Is it the players that arent good enough, or is it the point forward/ 1st option system they run? I think that team is as stacked as most others, so why is it always that LBJ's got no support? DWade and Shaq brought a Championship to Miami with less of a team that LBJ has now.

Comment

Shaq was a force at eating hot dogs on the bench this season.

Comment

Ray Allen to cleveland book ittt!!

Comment

I think they had the team to win it but their coach sucked.

Comment

DWade and Shaq were much more of a force than just Lebron. Mo and Jamieson didn't do much in the playoffs, which was still more than Shaq gave them. I think their coach held them back a little bit LJ isn't good enough to win it all on his own.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                X