Tony Parker is One of the Knicks Top Targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Parker is One of the Knicks Top Targets

While no one should expect that the sage and calculated Donnie Walsh will cover his eyes and throw cash at whoever walks through the door, it is likely the Knicks will be extremely aggressive this summer in an effort to build a contending roster, with or without LeBron James. It may not come via free agency, either. According to several sources, the Spurs may be downplaying trade rumors involving Tony Parker, but they are clearly ready to consider moves. The franchise committed to Manu Ginobili and have George Hill as a built-in replacement, which has made Parker expendable. But at what cost?

The Knicks would love to get a deal done before July 1 as an attention-grabber for free agents, but it might take the rights to David Lee in a sign-and-trade to get the Spurs talking. If that’s the case, it couldn’t happen until after July 1, because, as a one-year contract player, Lee can’t be signed to an extension.

Parker is an obvious target. His offensive skills, which are very close to Steve Nash (though Parker gets to the rim much better than Nash), make him a perfect fit for Mike D’Antoni’s system. He’s not the passer that Nash is, but Parker can be a very effective pick-and-roll player and then the Knicks would need to target a big man in free agency who would fit well with Parker, such as Amar’e Stoudemire, Chris Bosh or Carlos Boozer. And with that extra room the Knicks could also still be aggressive and go after Joe Johnson, who would form a dynamic backcourt with Parker (just as he would in Chicago with Derrick Rose), or, at a more affordable number, target restricted free agent Rudy Gay. Hey, if LeBron doesn’t come to the Knicks, the Knicks are gonna need to find someone to guard him because if you plan on being in the playoffs, you have to plan on beating LeBron.
    Newsday

I think the Knicks getting Tony Parker would be a very good move assuming his injuries don't linger. Of course, they'd still be left with a very bare roster:

PG: Parker/Douglas
    SG: Walker
    SF: Galinari/Chandler
    PF: ??
    C: ??

Comment

You didn't take into consideration what they would have to give up to get him?

PG: Parker
      SG: ?
      SF: ?
      PF: ?
      C: Eddy Curry

Comment

Makes sense for TP (get paid big money by a spendthrift team), for the Knicks (have a big name that can be used to lure FAs), and the Spurs (a team probably unwilling to give TP a big new contract.)

Will be interesting to see what a deal looks like.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          You didn't take into consideration what they would have to give up to get him?

PG: Parker
          SG: ?
          SF: ?
          PF: ?
          C: Eddy Curry

I assumed it would be David Lee as mentioned in the article. Spurs may want Chandler too I guess.

Comment

Parker for Lee won't fly. He's worth much more than that. Especially considering the Spurs have no pressure to trade him but the Knicks have all the pressure in the world to deliver their fans some stars who can win. I'm not sure if Lee and Chandler would be enough.

Comment

Who else but Lee or Galinari do the Knicks have to offer?

Don't they not only have 4 or 5 players under contract?

Plus they have traded away all their draft choices that they are permitted to trade.

If not free agency, how exactly are they going to acquire players?

This is one very funny scenario for the Knicks.

Walsh has spent so much time and energy getting the wedding invitations just right, without stocking the bar so anyone would accept the invitation.

If the Knicks make the playoffs next year, I will eat my shorts.

...and anyone elses shorts for that matter!

Comment

I can't see the Spurs wanting Lee. They like their big men to play some semblance of defense, something Lee doesn't do.

I do like Parker to the Knicks, though. He'd be perfect playing with LeBron, as well, and as stated, he'd be good in D'Antoni's system.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Oh those NY papers! Such dreams.

That team was gutted of any movable parts (not that they were the greatest) in order to create that vaunted cap space. It was a strategic option no doubt but was it going overboard in one direction? They have even given up draft picks and swaps of picks to move one dimensional players like Jefferies to Houston. I am afraid that putting so much stock in that Madison Square Garden aura is going to be not such a great idea. There seems to be a decided lack of buzz coming from the biggie f/as.
                  This is more of an afterthought so I dont have much in way of numbers...but doing a Calderon or Hedo plus Bosh move for Parker, Blair and other pieces (not sure about Jefferson or availability of others to make up salary numbers) would not be such a bad move for both teams.

Comment

Dream on NY. Even if Parker is somewhat expendable by Hill's progress, it's a longshot that the Knicks can put together anything to make it a fair trade.

Plus I can't see any of the reports of TP having interest in NY being close to true. It wouldn't make any sense to me.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                    X