G20 Coming Jun 26-27 Along With Protesters & Barricades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G20 Coming Jun 26-27 Along With Protesters & Barricades

Message: More G20 set up: Wall being set up in the middle of Bremner Blvd (looking East towards the ACC
    link to photo below

Protesters and demonstrations

Protest groups and other activists are expected to make a showing at the summit.Forward planning for this specific G8 summits began in advance of the 2008 Hokkaido summit. Activist organizations anticipate that early planning can result in greater networking effectiveness for G8 summits.Not all demonstrations are expected to focused in opposition to some issue. At the 2005 Scotland summit, for the first time the tens of thousands of people protesting outside were actually supporting the summit's agenda of African aid;and some activists traveled to Hokkaido in 2008 for the same purpose.

http://tweetphoto.com/26099393

http://www.torontog20summit.com/
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

G20 protesters could be hit with sonic guns

G20 protesters could be hit with sonic guns

By Colin Perkel, THE CANADIAN PRESS
    Last Updated: May 27, 2010 1:44pm

TORONTO — The addition of sound cannons to the arsenal available to security forces managing G20 protests comes as no surprise to groups planning to demonstrate in Toronto at next month’s summit.

They say it’s just one more signal amid an unprecedented security operation that dissenting voices are being muzzled.

“We were expecting the use of sound cannons, sound grenades, Tasers, tear gas — they’ve been used in the past against Canadian protesters,” Sharmeen Khan, spokeswoman for the Toronto Community Mobilization Network, said Thursday.

“We definitely are concerned that this will scare people away.”

The sound cannons are capable of emitting ear-piercing and hearing-damaging alerts, not unlike that of a smoke detector, that can be heard up to 1.5 kilometres away.

Formally known as long-range acoustical devices, they can also be used to broadcast pre-recorded and other messages to protesters.

“It will allow our officers to speak to the crowd over and above chanting, yelling, screaming — noise that is most commonly part of protests,” said Const. Wendy Drummond, spokeswoman for Toronto police.

“It will allow us to communicate, most effectively, our demands to the crowd.”

Toronto police have purchased four of the devices — three hand-held and one mounted — from Vancouver-based Current Corp.
    http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../14146366.html
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Yikes

Not to mention the crazy costs involved in this whole circus:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,5322517.story

I feel sorry for the people who will be in downtown Toronto for this. It's going to be a massive disruption with the possibility for bleeding ear drums and riots. A real poop show.

Comment

The concern shown by LA residents is duly noted and appreciated. Our contribution to world economic chaos.

To be reciprocal, how's the gubernatorial stumping going? Hope you pick the right one this time. No more "hasta la vista baby" for the citizenry very soon I hear.

Comment

And our first arrest so far: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/24...t-site/?hpt=T2

Comment

Largest G20 protest march begins

By DON PEAT and KEVIN CONNOR, QMI Agency

Last Updated: June 26, 2010 2:09pm

TORONTO - As the largest G20 protest march begins in Toronto and U.S. President Barack Obama touches down inside the summit security zone, police say they've seized incendiary devices along the planned protest route.

Catherine Martin of the Integrated Security Unit confirmed to QMI Agency that two people were arrested with incendiary devices at University Ave. and Dundas St.

Martin said police had no other information at this time on the arrests.

Thousands arrived at Queen's Park for the rally and march through the city's streets early Saturday afternoon. Protesters began leaving the rally and heading down University Ave. shortly after 1:30 p.m.

Police on bikes blocked off University Ave. at Queen St. and waited for protesters to move south. Police were also stopping some protesters from getting too far ahead of the marchers.

Toronto transit has also shutdown all subway service into the city's downtown.

TTC spokesman Brad Ross told QMI Agency Saturday that trains won't run south of Bloor or St. George station at the request of Toronto Police.

The TTC adds that until further notice, streetcars will not be entering the downtown core.

At it's southernmost point, the protest march will be just blocks from the G20 summit traffic zone and the fenced in outer security zone.
            http://www.torontosun.com/news/g20/2...-14526566.html

Comment

Working...
            X