David Geffen Trying to Buy Clippers and Sign Lebron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Geffen Trying to Buy Clippers and Sign Lebron

An impeccable source reveals David Geffen is hot to buy 51 percent of the Clippers. Friday night, the billionaire co-founder of the zaftig film-making company, had dinner in Los Angeles with Donald Sterling to discuss just that.

Anybody who knows Sterling can't imagine him selling controlling interest of anything he owns, much less turn over the decision-making of his showcase property.

"He'll take the Clippers to the grave with him," is the considered opinion of one and all. "They're his entree to Hollywood's galaxy of stars. You have no idea how Donald gets off swaying on the sidelines with demi-celebrities 41 nights a year."

For the sake of argument, surely Sterling must understand, by giving way to Geffen, his constellation, which often IS dying in the corner of the sky, would greatly illuminate and increase in value -- should the record-company big shot be able to recruit LeBron like he signed Bob Dylan and the Eagles.

In fact, Geffen has been deep in the hunt for quite some time. My source claims he told Sterling he can deliver LeBron as long as he's calling the shots. Maverick Carter, who sits at the right hand of James in all business ventures, was next to the Lakers' bench alongside Geffen.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...QLtH8e8MUDbtlL
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Maverick Carter? What happened to World Wes?

Comment

You know that article was written by Peter Vescey, who I think actually avoids writing about anything that might be true.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        Maverick Carter? What happened to World Wes?
        Maverick Carter is LeBron's best friend from childhood and his current manager. Wes is like James' "guardian angel" based on everything I've read.

Comment

Lebron will not go to Clippers. At the end of the day, Clipper is Clippers and Lakers is Lakers in LA. Lebron does not want to belong to the 2nd best team of LA.

Comment

The Clippers have a bad name due to bad ownership. Mark Cuban proved that good ownership can turn a franchise around in no time. The Clippers have a great young nucleus.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Maverick Carter is LeBron's best friend from childhood and his current manager. Wes is like James' "guardian angel" based on everything I've read.
              And Leon Rose? He must be the Godfather

Hope the "Arenas specials" dont get drawn when there is disagreement on strategy. You know what they say about keeping a flat management structure!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                The Clippers have a bad name due to bad ownership. Mark Cuban proved that good ownership can turn a franchise around in no time. The Clippers have a great young nucleus.
                it's true they seem to have a lot of good players kind of like washington but there guys are always overweight or injured and their main guys are up there in age. but, there starting to crop a nice young group and with lebron they would be giving the lakers a run for their money.

Kaman, Griffin, LBJ, Gordon, Davis

that would be a pretty good starting line up. but, how would their bench/role players be?
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

The Clippers would be one of the best destinations for free agents this summer and a team everyone would be talking about were they not owned by Donald Sterling. Griffin, Kaman and Gordon are a great, young core, plus they have loads of cap space. As long as Sterling is the owner, though, they will never be relevant.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

NBA / Jun 8, 2010 / 5:30 pm
                    NBA Rumor: Clippers getting new majority owner

By Austin Burton

Last week, when I posted the L.A. Clippers’ summer to-do list, more than a few readers put “Get a new owner” as their No. 1 suggestion. While it’s obvious that current owner Donald Sterling’s reign of futility has kept the Clips in place as the NBA’s running joke of a franchise, I never even entertained the idea of an ownership change because it was just not realistic — or at least that was the case last week.

James was invited to watch Game 2 of the NBA Finals at Staples Center in Geffen’s seats, sources confirmed, but he ultimately elected not to attend Boston’s eventual 103-94 victory, fearful of the spectacle his courtside presence would create at a time that James’ impending free agency has routinely drawn media attention away from the playoffs.

Yet Carter, who handles the bulk of James’ business dealings, did watch the game with Geffen.

http://dimemag.com/2010/06/nba-rumor...ajority-owner/
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

This report reminds of a story Bill Simmons told in one of his mailbags a few months back. Simmons has always said if he every got stupid rich, the first thing he would do is make a godfather offer to Sterling for the Clippers. Apparently one was made and Sterling said no.

...That reminds me, I heard two incredible Sterling stories in the past month.

Story No. 1: Sterling's office is located in a six-story building in Beverly Hills. He is the only occupant. Why? He doesn't like being around people he doesn't know. Instead of sharing an elevator with a stranger, he'd rather the building was empty. I swear this is true.

Story No. 2: Nobody in Los Angeles believes that Sterling would ever sell the Clippers because, as insane as this sounds, they give him cachet out here. (Sure, it's "isn't that the guy who destroyed the Clippers" cachet, but still, it's cachet because you never know when things might turn around. You should have seen him during the 2006 playoffs. He was wandering around aimlessly with a giddy smile on his face like Kathryn Bigelow after she won the last two Oscar categories.) I did some digging in Dallas to find out if anyone has ever made him a "Godfather" offer for the team. The answer? Yes. In the middle of the past decade, when the economy was still thriving, Sterling was offered a billion dollars for the Clippers by somebody. The only part of this story I couldn't confirm was the identity of the person who made the offer. But it was definitely one billion dollars. Got it confirmed by an impeccable source.

One billion dollars.

ONE BILLION DOLLARS!

Now you're saying to yourself, "There's no way. That's a ridiculous price. That can't be."

Well … it's the No. 2 TV market in the league and a proven basketball market. The Lakers had already established that ridiculous revenue could be generated in Los Angeles, and at the time the Clippers were considered the "up and comers" and the Lakers were considered "Kobe and the Kobettes." And the buyer knew he had to overpay to get them. The point is this: The "Godfather" offer was made, and Sterling said no. He's never selling.
                      Funny how both claim an impeccable source... Do you believe Simmons or Vescey?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part1/100312

Comment

Working...
                      X