This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acquiring Player Rights

I know this is a very risky move, but what if Toronto makes a move for one of the top FAs by trading for his rights before July 1 and offers max money to secure his services -and to show Bosh that we're serious? It happens a lot in hockey, by where a team trades a draft selection and or player to another team to negotiate with a player before the FA period opens up. What are your guys' opinion on that?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

If you mean trading for draft rights from this 2010 draft, then yes, you can do that. But you are still limited to offering a rookie scale contract to the player.

If you mean trading for someone like Josh Childress's rights, I don't think it works that way. Much the same way we had Delfino's rights last season, there would need to be a sign and trade in order to obtain him.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to acquire "player rights" is from the draft, before the rookie signs his contract.

Comment

I think he's suggesting, for example, trading for a guy like Joe Johnson now so that they would have the ability to offer him the full max come July. Not sure if you're allowed to do it though.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        I think he's suggesting, for example, trading for a guy like Joe Johnson now so that they would have the ability to offer him the full max come July. Not sure if you're allowed to do it though.
        That's exactly what I was referring to. I'm not sure if I've heard a team having done that in the past, but I don't think it's out of bounds either. It's outside of the box thinking, but it's really risky.

Comment

I'm almost positive you cannot do that in the current CBA.

EDIT: And here it is:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q83
          83. Can a team trade the rights to a free agent, so the other team will inherit his Larry Bird rights?

Once a player becomes a free agent, he cannot be traded, except in a sign-and-trade deal.
          Last edited by Marz; Wed Jun 9, 2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Right. And that player does not become a Free Agent until July 1.

Comment

You can't trade for a player who is about to become a free agent.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Still not allowed:

...teams cannot trade players under the following circumstances...

...When the trading deadline has passed. Teams are free to make trades again once their season has ended, but cannot trade players whose contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO.
                http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q87

Comment

ok, so right now we could trade turkoglu and calderon to washington for arenas and that's a done deal?
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                  X