Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Van Gundy Would Like the NBA to Do Away With Players Fouling Out

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/05/j...layers-foulin/

While I agree with his point about fans wanting to watch the stars and possibly adding another personal to make it 7, I don't know about doing away with fouling out, that's an integral part of the game and part of the strategy.

I would however fix the officiating to how it was back in the 90s, the days of the Piston bad boys, those classic Knick/Pacers clashes... rough and tough. No soft calls, no touch fouls, let the players play. And as much as the refs and league would deny it, its quite obvious there are "superstar" calls where the stars get the benefit of the call simply cause of the name on their back.

Removing fouling out would be a horrible idea. It would turn the NBA into a hack-a-thon as players no longer care about fouling other players. The current system requires strategy from the coach and control/awareness from the player. Yes, sometimes the refs get out of hand, but this is a very extreme way to handle that.

Comment

part of the game ...
      don't change the rules

Comment

Fouling out adds some drama to the game and I don't think doing away with it would help the league be more entertaining. I agree with Forge that their are too many ticky tack fouls and that rules like the no hand checking and three second defensive violation have greatly decrease the quality of play in the league.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I am really surprised at V Gundy having this pov but then again he is a defensive coach and would like the hack-attack that would consistently take place alongwith the punchups during the days of the Bulls vs Knicks vs Piston days. I can see why he isnt getting a job anymore! I think it is a terrible idea...would slow the game down and diminish point guard play and the athleticism of wing players because Howard and Garnett and Perkins et al would go to town on the smaller. Has he checked out the physicality in the post during the series with the bigs attempting to get position? I can go on. But am I mistaken or have I missed the groundswell of agreement with Gundy on this issue. Oh yes, Fratello probably is another one who agrees with Van G. and another ex coach who cant get a gig. His comparison to the NFL and Baseball is laughable as well. There are penalties built into errors and fouls in those games and coaches hate such occurrences (loss of yardage and bases gained with prolonging the state of play in the opposition's favour). This is goofy and regressive in my view.

Comment

The foul limit is in place to protect the players. You take that away and people are going to be bulldozing guys out there.

Comment

I agree in principal with JVG however in soccer two yellows and yur gone!!. There are some other sports where you get tossed for too many fouls.

I never liked the idea. There are better ways to handle too many fouls rather than tossing a player.

1. Give the opposing team one or two foul shots extra for each foul over six
              2. Sit the player for 2 minutes game time for each foul over six

They used to have 3 to make 2 in the NBA and did away with that. No reason the dumb foul out rule can't be changed.

Nobody pays big bucks to see the stars park their asses on the benches because the official blew the questionable call instead of swallowing the whistle.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I think the idea would be, after a certain number of fouls, the other team would get two shots and the ball, or some other punishment for the other team. I see the merits in it, but I'm not sure, myself.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  I think the idea would be, after a certain number of fouls, the other team would get two shots and the ball, or some other punishment for the other team. I see the merits in it, but I'm not sure, myself.
                  In these unknown Raptors times can any of us be sure of anything? Really now
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                    Removing fouling out would be a horrible idea. It would turn the NBA into a hack-a-thon as players no longer care about fouling other players.
                    Agreed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I would like to see is more coaches who choose defensive strategies that avoid fouling instead of making a player earn it at the line. Too many coaches like high fouling defensive systems.

The Spurs have always been one of the league's leaders in avoiding fouls and avoiding putting opponents on the free throw line. One of the best defensive teams every year for most of the last decade. Byron Scott was the same when he was in NO and in NJ when the Nets had the best defensive team in the league. The Lakers this year under Phil Jackson also avoid giving away fouls.

Give up the odd the high percentage shot instead of getting your players in foul trouble and sending a player to the foul line for high percentage scores.
                    nbaroundtable

Comment

Working...
                    X