Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 98

Thread: Andrea Will Be the Starting All Star PF

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i cant believe that this is a real post

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Bargs will get in for sure, even if it's just the NBA trying to ensure Toronto has at least one player in the all star game (and hopefully DD back in the dunk contest...or Weems)
    dude...it's nice that you like andrea. but as someone else said, let it go. not happening, and certainly not next year. the raps are gonna STINK. as in, epically stink. he's certainly not getting voted in ahead of the guys apollo noted, and the coaches generally don't add guys on crap teams, even if their numbers are good (see lee, david).

    it's also nice to assume that with bosh gone, and likely (hopefully) turk as well, that bargs becomes the #1 option for them on offense...but then, he'd be the #1 focal point for defenses to shut down. bargs didn't exactly light it up at the end of the year when bosh went down, and that was when teams didn't really have much time to game-plan or coordinate their D around stopping him. we all like to fantasize about his skill-set, but that's all it really is, a fantasy. he's never given a reason to believe that he's capable of handling the offensive responsibility for a two-week period, let alone an entire season.

    but hey, dare to dream, right?
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  3. #23
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Ripp wrote: View Post
    How did Granger get 100k votes?
    8th in league scoring?

    Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    If Bosh leaves, Bargs should be putting up minimum 19-7, 1.5 blk, decent percentages and hopefully not world class matador defense.
    Why? The stats from this season support the opposite happening.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yertu- why do you hate the Raptors so much?

    Everyone else- just wait and see man. This is Bargs' year. Just watch, I'm going to make sure to come back to this post during all star weekend. The All Star voting is largely a popularity contest. Trust me, the NBA is going to hype up Toronto this year especially if Bosh leaves, just watch.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Rookie Moon Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Zimbabwe
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    8th in league scoring?



    Why? The stats from this season support the opposite happening.
    Andrea's been increasing his scoring and his rebounds year to year (except for his rookie sophore campain i have no idea what happened there), so you would have to expect the trend to continue of him "imporving"

  6. #26
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Andrea Bargnani led all Raptors' starters on Tuesday with 11 points, making 5-of-14 field goals while attempting just one free throw.

    Chris Bosh went down early in the first quarter and consequently the starting five finished just 16-of-42 from the floor.
    MSNBC.com


    Maybe what Bargnani lacks more than anything is urgency, a sense of the moment.

    Take Bargnaniís performances this year without Chris Bosh in the lineup. On Wednesday against Boston, he was average: 17 points on eight-for-22 shooting with five rebounds in 39 minutes.
    in the 67 games he has played with Bosh in the lineup this year: 17.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game on 47.1 per cent shooting. When Bosh plays, Bargnani averages 34.6 minutes of floor time per game.
    in which he has played and Bosh has not: 15.0 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1.2 blocks per game on 41.6 per cent shooting. When Bosh does not play, Bargnani averages 36.7 minutes of floor time per game.
    his weaknesses ó toughness, rebounding, defence ó also happen to mirror his teamís shortcomings.
    A search through the league reveals that when stars go down, their replacementís production tends to increase.
    And when given the opportunity to do more, Bargnani has actually done less.
    VancouverSun.com


    I mentioned yesterday that I think Bargnaniís could be in better condition. This isnít to say heís out of shape or that he doesnít take care of his fitness.
    By way of evidence I give you his performance on the second night of back-to-backs this season. The Raptors have been pretty abysmal as a group, with just a 3-8 record in these situations.
    Bargnaniís efficiency falls off a cliff. He is averaging 12 points and 6.2 rebounds and shooting a brick-like 38 per cent from the floor and 28.2 per cent from deep. The scary thing is those numbers are an improvement over his career trend.
    Bargnani is best on two dayís rest. He shoots 52 per cent, though the rust seems to hurt his deep stroke as he connects on just 32.5 per cent of his triples. With a day between games he shoots 47.6 per cent and 41.9 per cent from beyond the arc.
    TheGlobeAndMail.com
    Raptors Republic Forums: "Andrea is Better Than CB4"

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    MSNBC and the Vancouver Sun- the 2 cornerstones of sports journalism.

    Can I throw up some bleacher report or real gm quotes as well? (oh burn)

    Bargnani 2011 All Star 4 Real!

  8. #28
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So mathematics and logic aren't things you hold in high regard? Numbers aren't biased.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    This year's all star game will feature Andrea Bargnani as starting PF, with Dwight at Center. Watch and enjoy!
    So you are telling us that Bargnani is seeking a buyout so that he can play for a FIBA group B team?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    ďAs a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to winĒ
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have to wonder whether people start threads like this just to bait me.

    Well, let's see. You're assuming Bargnani will be a PF next year, which is a big assumption, but last year, Bargnani received 265,024 votes. That's fewer than LeBron, Garnett, Bosh, Pierce, Smith, Iguodala, Granger and Rashard Lewis. All but Granger were in the playoffs last year. Remember the playoffs is where most players make their names. Bargnani hasn't been in the playoffs in two years and played poorly when he was there. With Charlotte in the playoffs, it's a good bet Gerald Wallace will get lots of votes next year.

    As for simply making the All-Star team, Bargnani would have to beat out LeBron, Garnett, Pierce, SMith, Antawn Jamison, a probably healthy Granger and Gerald Wallace, and that's assuming Bosh will play in the West. It's highly unlikely that will happen.

    If Bargnani plays center next year, he'll have Dwight Howard, Brook Lopez, Andrew Bogut, Joakim Noah and Al Horfod ahead of him. All are better centers, and if Bosh leaves, all will likely be on teams with better records than the Raptors. That's something you seem to be forgetting, lottery teams rarely send players to the All-Star game.

    It's great to make bold statements in order to get the conversation going, but if there's little thought behind them, no one's going to listen to you.

  11. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Apollo, didn't mean to diss, but that was last year's new and last year's #'s.

    This year will be a new era, so we have to start a brand new equation.

  12. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One could argue that you are making a "bold statement" by saying that Bargs will NOT make the all star team.

    It could also be construed that your conviction that Bogut, Lopez, Horford, Noah, et al are better centers than Bargs is also "bold".

    We will see come all star time next year whether your immediate dismissal of Andrea's potential is warranted, but I am betting it is not sir.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Rookie robito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really don't understand what you've seen out of Bargnani that would make him one of the elite players in the Eastern Conference. Instead of looking at the many facts that have been presented, you choose to ignore them and instead tell us to "watch out" for Bargnani and its "a new era"... Please, you're making yourself look ridiculous...If you want people to take you seriously, maybe you could substantiate your argument at least with some scenarios or possibilities detailing how exactly you think Bargs is going to accomplish this All-Star berth.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll side with Multipaul, I don't see him cracking the roster, but its not inconceivable.

    The all star game mainly recognizes offensive players which leans in Bargs favor, regardless of whether he has earned them or will use them efficiently he will be the recipient of a lot of Bosh's touches and have first dibs on the high post. The East doesn't have a lot of all star quality PF's right now, he could sneak in ala Jamal Magloire and forever taint the all star game.

    If the raps can surprise people and hover around .500 till the all star break Bargs will be getting....MVP votes.

    (Tim, i'm just kidding)

  15. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote robito wrote: View Post
    I really don't understand what you've seen out of Bargnani that would make him one of the elite players in the Eastern Conference. Instead of looking at the many facts that have been presented, you choose to ignore them and instead tell us to "watch out" for Bargnani and its "a new era"... Please, you're making yourself look ridiculous...If you want people to take you seriously, maybe you could substantiate your argument at least with some scenarios or possibilities detailing how exactly you think Bargs is going to accomplish this All-Star berth.
    How am I making myself look "ridiculous"? I could say you are ridiculous for disagreeing with me so much. 2 years ago Dwade was a post-injury, fatigued shell of his former self playing on a dilapidated Heat. Last year he was "da man".

    If I had told you he would be an all star would you have berated me just as much? Not saying Bargs is like Wade...BUT..if you look at the crop of Centers and Forwards out there that would be in the All Star mix, I think he has a shot (as evidenced by his fan voting tally this year).

    I can substantiate my argument by saying that Bargs has improved statistically, and will continue to do so, and this year he won't have jabroni Bosh cramping his style.

    Watch out...this is the year of the Bargs...

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Moon Knight wrote: View Post
    Andrea's been increasing his scoring and his rebounds year to year (except for his rookie sophore campain i have no idea what happened there), so you would have to expect the trend to continue of him "imporving"
    Per 36 mpg, Bargnani averaged
    Year 1: 16.6 ppg and 5.6 rpg
    Year 2: 15.3 ppg and 5.6 rpg
    Year 3: 17.6 ppg and 6.1 rpg
    Year 4: 17.7 ppg and 6.2 rpg

    His only real improvement came from year 2 to year 3, and it that's only because he declined from year 1 to year 2. This year he had nearly identical stats per minute as last year. In other words, he showed very little statistical improvement. What did go up were his minutes. Since he averaged 35 mpg last year, I don't see him getting many more than that next.

    The one area which got worse is drawing fouls. He drew fouls at a worse rate this past year than any other previous season. Not a good sign for a guy who people expect to take on the scoring load.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    LMFAO, man, you guys are laying heat on me...

    Think about it..lets assume (this is dangerous I know) that CB goes out West. Who do you see as the starting PF? Garnett? Horford?

    I think Bargs, as the #1 option this year, will put up big time #'s, and will get the nod.

    Who do you think will beat him out? Lee maybe?
    lee will be an all star before andrea is even close.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  18. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Per 36 mpg, Bargnani averaged
    Year 1: 16.6 ppg and 5.6 rpg
    Year 2: 15.3 ppg and 5.6 rpg
    Year 3: 17.6 ppg and 6.1 rpg
    Year 4: 17.7 ppg and 6.2 rpg

    His only real improvement came from year 2 to year 3, and it that's only because he declined from year 1 to year 2. This year he had nearly identical stats per minute as last year. In other words, he showed very little statistical improvement. What did go up were his minutes. Since he averaged 35 mpg last year, I don't see him getting many more than that next.

    The one area which got worse is drawing fouls. He drew fouls at a worse rate this past year than any other previous season. Not a good sign for a guy who people expect to take on the scoring load.
    Bargnani's shot blocking is awesome, he also makes critical offensive moves and defensive stops during crunch time. I watched all the games this year, he was composed and focused in the heat of some serious battles, and even when he was "off" offensively he managed to sustain his defensive effort. Once Bosh gets out of his way, he will emerge.

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,830
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a funny feeling too that 2011 might be the Year of Bargs. Better keep this thread Paul just in case, you can slap everybody around with it incase Bargs gets into the All-Star Team.

    If we get a big, a shot-blocking, rebounding, no-ego big to be exact, i think this will make way for Bargs to excel. I remember in Bosh's exit interview, he was saying, "some of these guys are really good, you just have to push them and let them know how good they are" i think he might be referring to Bargs....

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    One could argue that you are making a "bold statement" by saying that Bargs will NOT make the all star team.

    It could also be construed that your conviction that Bogut, Lopez, Horford, Noah, et al are better centers than Bargs is also "bold".

    We will see come all star time next year whether your immediate dismissal of Andrea's potential is warranted, but I am betting it is not sir.
    Well, Horford made the All-Star team last year ahead of Bargnani. And all those centers had a higher PER than Bargnani (including Noah, who's a defensive player which PER doesn't generally recognize). Lopez and Bogut had PERs 5 points higher than Bargnani. And since PER doesn't take into account defense, and all those players are also much better defensive players than Bargnani, it's difficult to argue that Bargnani is better than any of them.

    SImply trying to reverse what people are saying doesn't make it magically true.

    It's great that you're optimistic about Bargnani, but the facts don't support your argument, so don't pretend they do.

    Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    If the raps can surprise people and hover around .500 till the all star break Bargs will be getting....MVP votes.

    (Tim, i'm just kidding)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •