This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebounding Issue

If you check game 4 box score from 2010 Finals, rebounding column for Celtics looks very interesting: the rebounds are distributed uniformly, there is no big individual performers but there is a single winner on rebounding: the team. This is how Raptors defense should look like: everybody must go after rebounds, no matter what position play. Play aggressive and feel the bouncing pattern. A couple of year ago, I thought that Rondo had such great numbers because he plays behind the "Big Three". But now, he is the MVP player of that team, not only for scoring and distributing the ball, but for willingness to go for rebounds and fight with big bodies for balls in traffic. I wish we could have a PG like Rondo to play for Raptors.

Yes, the Celtics are good rebounders across the board, but their front line are all above average rebounders and can grab double digit rebounds on any particular night, if needed. I do think it's important to have good rebounders at as many positions as possible, but first and foremost, your front line has t be able to grab tough rebounds, and the Celtics can do that.

And I think most teams wish they could have a PG that rebounds like Rondo, but PGs like Rondo aren't not all that common, are they? Personally, I wish the Raptors could have a small forward like LeBron.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Good rebounding PGs aren't that common, all I can think of besides Rondo is Jason Kidd.

Comment

I think if your PG is getting a lot of rebounds, then i think your team is in trouble. PGs are not meant to rebound, your frontline should be doing the rebounding.

I look at Rondo as more of a looseball chaser than a good rebounder, he doesnt really bang it with the bigs, but he's timing is really good in chasing down long rebounds. And he gets a lot of those because, well, Allen, shoots most of the time, and so does Pierce and KG likes to shoot at the top of the key as well. He's really good at anticipating plays, because he seems to know where the balls go when they miss.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
          PGs are not meant to rebound, your frontline should be doing the rebounding.
          I don't think this is necessary the best approach ... your front line should rebound or clear the space for a teammate to rebound. Basketball is a team game, if you have a good defensive strategy it doesn't matter WHO rebounds, the most important thing is that your team gets the rebound.
          One aspect regarding Andrea is that he doesn't get rebounds as much as other bigs do, but what people don't see that much is that many times Andrea clears the space/tips the balls for teammates and it doesn't show up in the stats.

For Celtics, Garnett and Perkins does a lot of work keeping others in check so Rondo/Allen/Pierce gets easily the rebound. Celtics plays defense as a team and it does look like they have a plan in place.

Comment

Rebounding is about boxing out and everyone on the floor has to box out their man in order for a team to be successful at rebounding. I think insight_tor has it right when he says Bargs does a lot to clear space and boxes better than his rebounding numbers suggest. His problem is, as it always is, that he doesn't do it all the time.

I think the Celtics are one of the best teams around at having everyone find a man and box out. Perkins may be one of the best in the league at it. Rondo get's rebounds because he is fast and long, so when the ball rebounds long it's tough to box him out because he
            s so fast.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
              I don't think this is necessary the best approach ... your front line should rebound or clear the space for a teammate to rebound. Basketball is a team game, if you have a good defensive strategy it doesn't matter WHO rebounds, the most important thing is that your team gets the rebound.
              One aspect regarding Andrea is that he doesn't get rebounds as much as other bigs do, but what people don't see that much is that many times Andrea clears the space/tips the balls for teammates and it doesn't show up in the stats.

For Celtics, Garnett and Perkins does a lot of work keeping others in check so Rondo/Allen/Pierce gets easily the rebound. Celtics plays defense as a team and it does look like they have a plan in place.
              I think it does matter who gets the rebound. Specially with a team like the Orlando Magic who has a lot of perimeter players. If your guards are trying to rebound, it opens up the floor for the opposing team's shooters. An offensive rebound then kick-out will spell problems. Most teams now are playing off the perimeter, thats why you dont get as many rebounding guards as there used to be.

It is a team game, but each player still has to stick to the position that he's playing in, otherwise, it creates problems for his teammates. It works for the Celtics because Allen and Pierce are shooters, so when they shoot, they kinda stay in the perimeter which allows Rondo to run around.

I agree with your other points.

Comment

Wait.... the Raptors are a poor rebounding team? Damn..

Comment

Working...
                X