Toronto/LA/Philly Bosh Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto/LA/Philly Bosh Trade

I've been a long-time lurker on this forum, and I wanted to get some feedback on a trade idea that I have. It's one of those ones that's too complicated to be likely, but the salaries work and it gives some interesting options for all teams involved.

To Toronto: Bynum, Brand, Walton, 2nd overall (Turner)
    To LA: Calderon, Bosh
    To Philadelphia: 13th overall, Odom, Banks, Vujacic
    http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade...radeid=5549041

Why it could work for Toronto: The potential upside here is tremendous when you consider a healthy Bynum and Evan Turner; add Bargnani and DeRozan and that could be the best young core in the league. If (and it's a big if) Bynum and Brand both stay healthy, front-court toughness goes from being a weakness to a strength. Why it might not work: Bynum and Brand both have well-documented injury issues, but I think this lineup could work if you get even 60 good games a year out of each. Brand and Walton both have crappy contracts, so even though they get rid of Banks and Calderon, they aren't any better off, contract-wise, than they were before.

It would give Toronto a roster like:

Bynum / Johnson / Evans
    Bargnani / Brand
    DeRozan / Turkoglu / Walton
    Turner / Weems / Bellinelli
    Jack / ???

Ideally, the final move would be trading Turkoglu for a backup PG. Team weaknesses are now interior toughness, and team youth. Team weaknesses are salary inflexibility, big man durability, and lack of outside shooting from the wings.

Why it could work for LA: Depends on whether they want to give up on Bynum; I've gone back and forth through these playoffs about whether or not they'd move him (and about whether I'd want him on the Raptors). But they get an elite young PF who can give them a second scoring option. In Calderon, they get an offense-first PG who's already got good chemistry with both Bosh and Gasol, and someone who can run the offense when Kobe is on the bench. If other teams start zoning LA more the way Phoenix did, Calderon's the perfect PG to break them down. Vujacic and Walton are included to make the salaries work, but both are replaceable guys. Why it might not work: they're gaining one good rebounder, but giving up two. And Bosh's skillset is so similar to Gasol's that there is some redundancy. If they win a championship, do they really want to tinker with that formula? Or do they believe that this championship is the result of Kobe, Gasol, Fisher, and Jackson, and that everyone else is expendable? It's also possible that they'd rather part with Artest than Odom, and the trade could still work if other parts are tweaked.

Why it could work for Philadelphia: Obviously they're desperate to get rid of Brand's contract, and with so many PFs on the free agent market this year (and available in the draft), not many teams are going to take on a guy with as many question-marks as Brand. Odom, the 13th pick, and nearly 10 million in expiring contracts is a respectable return for the #2 pick (which they apparently aren't keen on) and one of the worst contracts in the league. They also get some decent scoring back in Odom. Why it might not work: Lots of teams like Turner and can offer a better draft pick than the #13. As well, it would require some patience from Philly: this trade probably can't come together until after July 1, so Philly would need to draft Turner and wait until the other pieces fall into place.

Why it could work for Bosh: I think LA is a great fit for Bosh. Bright lights and championship appearances are what Bosh ultimately wants, and he'll get those in LA. But he also wants to balance that with a chance to be the main guy; obviously he'll be second fiddle behind Kobe, and possibly even third fiddle behind Gasol to start. But over the length of his contract, Gasol will likely become a veteran role-player, while Kobe will increasingly need to rely on the players around him, and become more of a facilitator and clutch performer. By the time he is 32 and his next contract is up, Bosh could very well be the guy in LA, which is one of the most coveted roles in the league. Beside Wade or James, it's unlikely Bosh would ever be able to emerge from their shadows.

Great Trade for Toronto, Below average trade for Lakers since they can get much better PGs for much cheaper price than Calderon and are losing both Odom and Bynum, an AWFUL TRADE for Philly , they are not getting anything for their 2nd round pick.

So, unless the GMs for Lakers and Philly are retards on meth , this trade is a NO GO.

Comment

LA wont do it-
      1) They are trading 2 bigs for 1. They are already getting killed inside the way it is now.
      2) Caldaron could help them, but how is he gonna share time with fisher. And again they are getting killed by quick PG, caldaron is not gonna help that.
      PH wont do it-
      1) There are enough teams with cup space that would just take Brand + #2 for nothing and give them immediate cup relief instead of expiring contracts and odom .

Instead could do:
      Bosh to NJ for #3 pick.
      Brand + #2 to Toronto for #13.

If NJ signs Johnson or Gay, it could actually be a really good fit for Bosh.
      And if raptors draft smart they are the next next Oklahoma city/ Portland

Comment

Ya, I've got to say, the Lakers get stung in this deal No idea what would possess them to do it. Sure, Bynum has injuries and Odom has been inconsistent, but the Lakers will probably win the title, and the last thing they are going to do is trade away two of their top five players unless it is a clear win for them, and it's frankly not.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Actually, its a decent trade for LA. First, the whole playoffs their bench has been struggling and the point guard play has been inconsistant. Jose is a good shooter and he's actually a better point guard than he's percieved to be.

And For Odom and Bynum.. they have been neraly non existant in this playoffs. If the lakers could get to the Finals with little contribution from Odom and Bynum, why not risk losing them? Bosh brings scoring, commands a double team, an above average rebounder, and gives them something to look forward to in the future.

Imagine Bosh, Pau, and kobe running the triangle. That enough should make the Buss family to make the trade.

And they get rid of two bad contracts in Sasha and Luke Walton, both making 5 million.

Comment

This Philly trade is creating a lot of speculation, most of the scenario I've seen have them shipping out Elton Brand + #2 overall pick, every team's forum are running their own scenario of how to trade for Elton Brand + #2 pick, so far the best deal I've heard is Al Jefferson + #4 for it. In Al Jefferson that get another 20/10 player, albeit he just came off ACL surgery, but he still put up 17/9 in his recovery year.
            Unless Sixer just want a pure salary dump, I just don't see how Raptors can realistically have a shot at offering a package that could be more appealing than Al Jefferson + #4.

Comment

Working...
            X