Thread: Where Are They Now? Pape Sow Edition.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where Are They Now? Pape Sow Edition.

Pape Sow played 76 games with the Raptors, last seen in the 2006-07 season. He was a high energy guy, raw but big and tall and explosive. Unfortunately for Pape, athleticism only gets you a free pass for so long. Since then he's been around world, playing in various locals but here's the shocker and the point of the thread:

In June 2010 he suprisingly changed sport and signed for Académica de Coimbra.
    Académica, is an autonomous and professional football organization based in Coimbra, Portugal.
    Source: Wikipedia

The Academic announced last night, officially hiring Pape Sow for the next two seasons, confirming thus the news firsthand advanced in our Journal in yesterday's edition.
    Source: DiarioCoimbra
    Translation: Google Translate

I'm not sure how many pro basketballers have converted to soccer but put Pape on the list. Back when he was playing here he showed flashed, at times, of an exciting player. I really thought he would have made a more dedicated go at the NBA. Either way, whatever makes you happy is where you should be. Can you imagine the mismatches Pape is going to create on a football field?
    Last edited by Apollo; Sat Jun 12th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's actually insane. I think there are quite a few guys in the NBA who have the right athletic skills to be good soccer players - Nash, Barbosa, Tony Parker - but a 6'10 center strangely doesn't come to mind. I doubt he'll ever amount to much, but it's interesting to see a team give him a shot. I wonder what position he'll play?

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow card collector.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He'd make a good goalie I think....tall, athletic, jumper, reach, lateral move (??). Think about it...an intimidating presence in net. No?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry guys I live in Portugal and I had already thought of that because he almost sign for another team a year ago but he is not the same guy lol he just has the same name

Raptors Republic Rookie The Mascot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote eric_biochem wrote: View Post
    sorry guys I live in Portugal and I had already thought of that because he almost sign for another team a year ago but he is not the same guy lol he just has the same name
    Yeah, I was gunna say, I saw him in some Euroleague highlights from early on this past season. If I'm not mistaken, I think he plays for a Spanish team now.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_Lucentum_Alicante

Raptors Republic Starter Dark Knight's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve Nash is gonna retire a soccer player. I'm calling it.
    "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Those two guys in the pictures don`t even look alike. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like

I know marco jaric did it this past december.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote eric_biochem wrote: View Post
    LOL, well Wiki could have it wrong. Maybe you should go there and change it?

Thread Information