Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo wrote: View Post
    The Bears games I watch this year had me coming away with the impression that the defense is the real problem. Cutler is a good QB as long as he's not always having to make a comeback. When he's down he forces throws into tough situation and this is why you see him getting picked. The Bears paid him a lot of money and that compounded with the always having to launch a comeback is what is causing the issues. Most teams in the league don't/can't stay committed to the run when they're trailing by a couple scores.
    I haven't watch much of the Bears this year but Cutler has been awful. Poor decisions and poor throws have killed the offence. Trestman should be riding Forte more but seems determined to have the game in Cutler's hands. The defence hasn't been very good either, but it's hard for a defence that is constantly defending a short field to be effective. Plus the defence is probably playing too many snaps since the Bears offence can give them many sustained drives to rest on.

Forte, Marshall, Jeffrey - that's 3 ProBowl talents at skill positions on offence. How does the offence suck with that many weapons? Cutler and Trestman are both the problem I think.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Cutler actually played really well in the first month. Like I said, while I'm no expert on Cutler, the game time I saw this year was bad protection and him playing from behind. The guy doesn't handle those pressures well no doubt but put him on a team with a good line and a solid defense and I think you'd see more of the September Jay Cutler. That's not meant to be a defense or an attack on Cutler but if I put it another way, if he's the 49ers QB in 2014 they win more games than they did with Kaep.

I will say that this isn't a chicken or an egg situation. The Bears defense is awful, but Cutler hasn't been awful all the time this year. That defense is like Swiss cheese and it's not due to Jay Cutler.

Some stats:

Cutler is 7th in completion %, 9th in yards, 7th in passing TD, 1st in int and 7th in sacks.

On offense Chicago is 12th in passing and 26th in rushing.

On defense Chicago is 31th in passing and 15th in rushing.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• i don't really get Cutler this year at all. i was never a cutler fan and honestly think he's about as overrated as can be, but he IS a decent enough QB. i've watched a couple bears games this year and from his body language and everything he just doesn't seem to have his head in it at all. i think there's something going on behind the scenes that hasn't really been revealed yet.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• the o-line has been miserable but even all those years it was absolutely terrible cutty still did ok. it's really bizarre.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Well he's not going anywhere with that contract on the books. I think if the Bears want to hang with the Packers they need to spend a lot of picks this draft on defense. They need a complete overhaul. They lost key vets and knew it was coming but are seemingly unprepared and this is the second year of it. Last year their defense struggled as well. But hey, I'm fine with it because the Packers' road to victory is easier.

Comment

• The D's pretty bad, yeah, but i don't think it's as terrible as a lot of people are making it out to be. they have quite a few good young pieces there.

if i'm the bears i take a page from the cowboys design (i can't believe i'm saying this) and really build up the o-line. apparently having a top 5 o-line is the difference between being a mediocre and a playoff team. who knew? just ask tony romo.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Most teams who win the Super Bowl have a strong defense. The next most common factor is a strong, if not elite, QB and offensive weaponry.

You gotta be able to play tough defense and you gotta be able to grind out tough yards because depending on who you're playing and where you're playing, the pass game may be strategically removed from your equation by the opposing team(who chances are have a strong D) or it may be negated by the weather or both.

I agree that you need a strong O-line. AP, LT, Priest, Alexander, Terrell Davis, Sanders, these guys for as talented as they are could not dominate without somebody throwing some good blocks on occasion. There are only so many tackles you can break and avoid and for that matter, there are only so many hits you can take at awkward angles.

Comment

Most teams who win the Super Bowl have a strong defense. The next most common factor is a strong, if not elite, QB and offensive weaponry.

You gotta be able to play tough defense and you gotta be able to grind out tough yards because depending on who you're playing and where you're playing, the pass game may be strategically removed from your equation by the opposing team(who chances are have a strong D) or it may be negated by the weather or both.

I agree that you need a strong O-line. AP, LT, Priest, Alexander, Terrell Davis, Sanders, these guys for as talented as they are could not dominate without somebody throwing some good blocks on occasion. There are only so many tackles you can break and avoid and for that matter, there are only so many hits you can take at awkward angles.
                  Teams win with non-elite QB and RB who don't turn the ball over.

Comment

• Hence I said the highest condition is defense. Most teams who won it in the last ten years had strong defenses and QB's who were elite or performed at an elite level during the playoffs. They also found the run and I mention the importance of grinding above. The Packers would have never won in 2011 if James Starks hadn't come out of no where late in the season and made teams swallow their teeth. He by no means is a star RB though. He's a high energy sub, sort of a "sixth man".

Comment

Hence I said the highest condition is defense. Most teams who won it in the last ten years had strong defenses and QB's who were elite or performed at an elite level during the playoffs. They also found the run and I mention the importance of grinding above. The Packers would have never won in 2011 if James Starks hadn't come out of no where late in the season and made teams swallow their teeth. He by no means is a star RB though. He's a high energy sub, sort of a "sixth man".
                      Defense is good but ball control is better. No turnovers and never give up possession. Playoff football is played inch by inch minute by minute. Never let the opposing teams offense hit the field.

Comment

Hence I said the highest condition is defense. Most teams who won it in the last ten years had strong defenses and QB's who were elite or performed at an elite level during the playoffs. They also found the run and I mention the importance of grinding above. The Packers would have never won in 2011 if James Starks hadn't come out of no where late in the season and made teams swallow their teeth. He by no means is a star RB though. He's a high energy sub, sort of a "sixth man".
                        sort of like why its been so long since the patriots have won a superbowl. being able to convert on third and short is so important.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          sort of like why its been so long since the patriots have won a superbowl. being able to convert on third and short is so important.
                          Its the NFL equivalent to the dagger three. Nothing kills momentum like a third down conversion, even TD.

Comment

• And now the Bears have benched Cutler in favour of Jimmy Clausen...
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• If they bite the bullet(huge guaranteed money) and cut him there will be a half dozen teams calling immediately. I could see him going to Tampa or maybe Houston or Tennessee. Heck, the NYC Jets and Buffalo might be at the head of the line. Geno and Vick are not the answer in NYC and who knows if Orton is back next year.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                And now the Bears have benched Cutler in favour of Jimmy Clausen...
                                originally i thought "are they protecting his trade value making sure he isn't hurt?" but then i wondered "wait, does he even have trade value at this point?"

i think this is Trestman's last ditch effort at trying to prove the season isn't his fault
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X