Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bucs To Select Winston 1st Overall?

I remain in the camp that says this isn't a Tampa smokescreen – the Bucs brass is increasingly sold on Jameis Winston with the first-overall pick
    Head coach Lovie Smith said the Buccaneers were comfortable making Winston the face of the franchise based on all information the team had before that meeting.
    while Mariota's Pro Day was far from convincing and several teams still harbor doubts about how pro-ready he is, the old rules of supply and demand will apply.

It's a two quarterback draft and a good quarter of the league is at least uncertain about its present and/or future at this position. Mariota has more than enough supporters among NFL coaches and decisions makers to end up going with the second pick, whether to the Titans, who the pick, or another team via trade.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...ariota-at-no-2http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...-out-nfl-draft

Just one thing though, he won't be attending the draft:
    Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston is the presumptive favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, but he might take in the moment surrounded by friends and family rather than taking the stage in Chicago.

The first round of the draft held at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago on April 30 is televised in primetime, and a regular scene on the stage at the event is commissioner Roger Goodell squeezing hands and sometimes sharing a hug with top prospects as their names are called. It would be unusual for the top overall pick not to attend the draft.
    He doesn't have a clean slate for being a #1(ie: a "lock" as a franchise player, a sure shot star):
    Winston met with Goodell in a face-to-face interview in early March. The meeting, King reported, was requested and arranged by Winston, who lost just one game in two years as the starting quarterback and left Tallahassee with a national title and Heisman Trophy.

He also strolls into the NFL as a lightning rod for controversy.
    The questions with Winston are based on character and questionable decisions off the field. He was investigated for sexual assault involving a female FSU student -- the state's attorney did not bring formal charges -- cited for shoplifting crab legs from a supermarket and suspended for standing on a table at the student union and shouting a profane statement.
    But he does have a lot of good things going for him:
    Winston seems to thrive in the spotlight
    Winston is fiery, engaged in nose-to-nose talks with teammates and even coaches in the heat of the game and teammates and head coach Jimbo Fisher tout his leadership and ability to raise the level of play of those around him.
    And, you know, he's really good at college football. That's doesn't hurt.

Comment

• Just learned about the "Blackout Rule", where unless the teams games were sold out, the game couldn't aired on Local TV to Local Fans ... that's some F*CKED up businessing, once again.

a couple of years ago, 75 percent of all home games at Cincinnati were blacked out. Let me get this straight: Say I’m from Cincinnati. I supported this team my whole life. My taxpayer dollars go to support the stadium, and what do I get in return? I can’t watch the game on TV. Oh and I want to go, but wait a minute, the ticket prices just went up and I’m unemployed so I can’t afford it. Source
      I really don't like the NFL..
      Apparently they did just lift this rule, which is good, but already, some owners are apparently crying foul that it will negatively affect their attendance figures ... unreal.

Comment

• The game itself is great if you if you can get past some of this stuff. At the end of the day, this is all business and it's their product so they can choose how to distribute it any way they see fit. I get the tax dollar thing is unfair but the NFL isn't a government entity. It's on the politicians who make these arrangements to have rules and regulations in place in their state to prevent this sort of thing. Otherwise it's all in the hands of the league and they're in it to make money. This is a much larger problem than the NFL. It's everywhere.

But this rule was old and very out of date. The NFL makes huge TV revenue so it makes sense to remove it because they're alienating part of their fanbase. I'd imagine the owners disliking this would be teams like the Jags who present a horrible product in a small NFL market.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          Just learned about the "Blackout Rule", where unless the teams games were sold out, the game couldn't aired on Local TV to Local Fans ... that's some F*CKED up businessing, once again.

I really don't like the NFL..
          Apparently they did just lift this rule, which is good, but already, some owners are apparently crying foul that it will negatively affect their attendance figures ... unreal.
          Apollo wrote: View Post
          The game itself is great if you if you can get past some of this stuff. At the end of the day, this is all business and it's their product so they can choose how to distribute it any way they see fit. I get the tax dollar thing is unfair but the NFL isn't a government entity. It's on the politicians who make these arrangements to have rules and regulations in place in their state to prevent this sort of thing. Otherwise it's all in the hands of the league and they're in it to make money. This is a much larger problem than the NFL. It's everywhere.

But this rule was old and very out of date. The NFL makes huge TV revenue so it makes sense to remove it because they're alienating part of their fanbase. I'd imagine the owners disliking this would be teams like the Jags who present a horrible product in a small NFL market.
          Agreed. The league as a business entity is gross is many facets, all boiling down to the bottom line. (A not-so-fun tidbit - every October the NFL wears pink (cleats, gloves, hats) to support Breast Cancer - but they only donate a portion of the profits - not even the revenue. So while Mack pays $185 for that pink Romo jersey, only a couple % points of the profit actually gets donated to charity - the NFL still gets the majority of the profit margin. I don't remember the exact %, but it isn't impressive.)

But as a game, it is amazing. Much like basketball, there are many layers you can get into. Most casual fans (or the ones who are mostly just Fantasy Football fans) just want to see big plays, scores and the odd hit. But as you get a deeper understanding of the game, you learn to appreciate things at a completely new level; things like offensive line play, exotic blitz packages and defensive stunts.

One thing that I really enjoy (that can't be duplicated in any other sport) is predicting play calls. When you get to know a team, their style, and can see what the defence is doing, you can start predicting what plays the offence should use ("good time for a draw here", or "I'd call a bubble screen") and sometimes they'll use the play right away and you'll impress your friends, but other times you'll see it a couple of plays later and it is a big gain; then you can start the "I know more than the coach" routine

At the end of the day, the enjoyment is much like basketball. If you want to just see Touchdowns (big dunks), then you'll find what you are looking for. If you want to see coverage schemes (defensive rotations), then you'll find what you are looking for too.

If you can into the game stuff Joey, there is nothing quite like it.

PS - side rant, I really hate it when people flip channels during a game to simply see someone score. NFL RedZone is creating a generation of football morons who can only see the game in terms of fantasy (one of the reasons I got away from fantasy for a few years). They don't understand anything of the game, how it's played or who any player on Defence even is. The number of people that I can actually stand to watch football with is very limited (less than 3) and I completely blame fantasy football.
          Last edited by Axel; Tue Mar 24, 2015, 09:21 AM.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Oh, people in our Dynasty fantasy league do. I have it mandatory that you must start nine defensive players: three defensive backs, three linebackers and three defensive linemen.

Better bring your A game when you're playing the Raptors Republic Dynasty.

No doubt you do have some fans our there that don't understand how a TE with a couple catches in a season can score a lucrative multi-year deal but I think overall football fans are more educated now between the huge popularity of fantasy football and Madden video games than they were in the past. These forms of entertainment make the sport much more approachable. For example, I never played football as a kid and I learned the NFL game in the 90's more so by fooling around with Madden and NCAA than actually watching the games.

Also you have the NFL network now. That's another great spot for fans to learn the game and it comes in many cable sports packages.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              Oh, people in our Dynasty fantasy league do. I have it mandatory that you must start nine defensive players: three defensive backs, three linebackers and three defensive linemen.

Better bring your A game when you're playing the Raptors Republic Dynasty.

No doubt you do have some fans our there that don't understand how a TE with a couple catches in a season can score a lucrative multi-year deal but I think overall football fans are more educated now between the huge popularity of fantasy football and Madden video games than they were in the past. These forms of entertainment make the sport much more approachable. For example, I never played football as a kid and I learned the NFL game in the 90's more so by fooling around with Madden and NCAA than actually watching the games.

Also you have the NFL network now. That's another great spot for fans to learn the game and it comes in many cable sports packages.
              Well as the Dynasty ROY (and almost Champ), I appreciate the added defensive player layer. As someone who follows the whole NFL as closely as I do, I see that as free points over the average player.

I dunno though, my experience with the Madden crowd is still a lot of hail mary type offences and "whatever the game recommends" on D. Madden definitely helps, but the game still has a lot of limitations (basically every TE can run a go route and be a successful downfield option). I love Madden, but I still prefer to playing "off-line" for that very reason. Same as NBA2K is a fun imitation of the NBA, but it still isn't the same thing.

I really doubt that the "average" fan is most knowledgeable about football now. They definitely know the name of more receivers, backs and TEs, but they still don't know the difference between the Cover 1 or Cover 2.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                I dunno though, my experience with the Madden crowd is still a lot of hail mary type offences and "whatever the game recommends" on D. Madden definitely helps, but the game still has a lot of limitations (basically every TE can run a go route and be a successful downfield option). I love Madden, but I still prefer to playing "off-line" for that very reason. Same as NBA2K is a fun imitation of the NBA, but it still isn't the same thing.

I really doubt that the "average" fan is most knowledgeable about football now. They definitely know the name of more receivers, backs and TEs, but they still don't know the difference between the Cover 1 or Cover 2.
                I never play Madden online. I stick solely to franchise mode. This year they've made great improvements to the defense and I have to say it's difficult to throw down field without getting picked. I usually run McCarthy's playbook and roll with two or three WR sets out of the I Form in a hurry up offense. It takes me sometimes a series or two but I can then occasionally hit some deep connections; usually from my slot receiver or my TE(who essentially is my slot receiver in my two WR sets).

Comment

• A.P. Demands Out Of Minnesota

Adrian Peterson's agent spent an hour holding court Monday in the lobby of the swanky hotel where NFL owners are gathered this week, but Ben Dogra would allow just one comment for the record.

"We want out of Minnesota," Dogra told USA TODAY Sports.
                  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...gent/70356648/

Cards are rumored to be offering a 1st rounder. If the Vikings were smart they'd take that and run but who knows, because you know, they're clearly not smart. Maybe they do what the Lions did with Barry Sanders and force his hand into a retirement.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...gent/70356648/

Cards are rumored to be offering a 1st rounder. If the Vikings were smart they'd take that and run but who knows, because you know, they're clearly not smart. Maybe they do what the Lions did with Barry Sanders and force his hand into a retirement.
                    Can't really blame him. Don't really understand why the team is trying to force this. It's done and over. Time to move on. He still has enough value to trade and come away competitive. 1st rounder might be a bit of an over-pay imo, but clearly the Cards think they are close to SB (personally think they are crazy with their QB situation).

Comment

• The Cards should have went out and got Sanchez to compete against Palmer for the starting job. Even if they did land AP, they still need a QB who can keep teams from stacking the box. Palmer played really good last when healthy but he's getting up there and injuries may become a trend. Not to mention I don't think the Cards have enough to get past the Seahawks and Packers even with Palmer healthy and AP in the mix.

Comment

• NFL adjusts rule defining catch

Sorry Mack but this still wouldn't have changed things.

The NFL competition committee tweaked the rule for a catch, but even under the new wording, Dallas Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant still would not have had a successful grab in an NFC divisional-round game.

The rule now states that a receiver must establish himself as a runner rather than just make a football move. He also must have control of the ball and both feet in bounds.

The problem for Bryant, as the competition committee showed during a video presentation at the owners meetings, is that his hand hits the ground as the ball squirts free. So it would not have been viewed as a catch and the Cowboys still would have failed on a fourth-down play in a loss to Green Bay.

The rule has been debated since an apparent touchdown catch by Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson was overturned in 2010.

"Once you go down that path, it becomes more subjective," said Dean Blandino, the NFL's vice president of officiating. "What is, what isn't a football move. We're not talking about a lot of plays over the course of the five seasons since the Calvin Johnson play. This allows us to consistently officiate the rule."

St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who is co-chairman of the competition committee, said the members spent a lot of time on this topic, which helped clear up a rule that could be tough to define.

"If you're going to the ground, hang on to the ball. It's really pretty simple," Fisher said. "To include if you become a runner, I think it really cleans things up for us. If you start talking about reaching the ball out, you invite a lot of gray area back into the interpretation."
                        http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...completed-pass

Comment

• Falcons got fined for playing fake crowd noise at games

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                            Falcons got fined for playing fake crowd noise at games
                            ....and they still managed to have a losing record at home over the period of time they cheated.

Comment

Worst than that, the league took away one of their draft picks.

Comment

Wait, what? Hahahahahahahahaha
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X