Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    Thinking along those lines, the NFL I believe would be well served to hire an African-American for the position. I am not advocating that the individual be a lesser in any ability required for the position but considering the percentage makeup of players in the NFL such an individual would be of much value to all the stake holders. Surely having a football background is not mandatory for the job of commissioner. Now imagine Bettman on a breakaway or Stern dribble his way for a layup. Come to think of it Bettman might be a good choice...he'd jump at the raise and his resume is generally impeccable as far as making money for the owners and retaining a positive image for his league.
    Bettman and the NHL haven't exactly been top notch when it comes to discipline. Very erratic punishments, not sure how well that would fly.

Would love Stern in the role but he's not realistically going to take the job.

I think having football knowledge of the league rather than the sport is really the prerequisite.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      Thinking along those lines, the NFL I believe would be well served to hire an African-American for the position. I am not advocating that the individual be a lesser in any ability required for the position but considering the percentage makeup of players in the NFL such an individual would be of much value to all the stake holders.
      I don't think race should come into this at all. Is there any indication whatsoever that the NFL shows favoritism to white players? I mean you could make a case at the team level twenty years ago with QB's but not now.

If we were going down that path though the percentage of owners who are white are in the majority. The commissioner is hired by them, represents them. The PA is the organization representing the players, not the NFL head office. The players vote for their leader, just as the owners vote for their "representative".

Comment

• If anything, NFL has been accused of favouritism towards certain franchise's players due to the Owner relationship (Kraft and the Patriots being #1). One thing that has been handled well in recent years has been any race related issues. It's probably the one area that the league does well with.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Conspiracy theories and reality are two different things a most times. There is nothing to gain to showing favoritism to the Patriots. If anything, what this has reaffirmed is that a.) there are cheaters in every walk of life and b.) the NFL tries to let everybody not caught smoking pot off the hook whenever possible.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
            Conspiracy theories and reality are two different things a most times. There is nothing to gain to showing favoritism to the Patriots. If anything, what this has reaffirmed is that a.) there are cheaters in every walk of life and b.) the NFL tries to let everybody not caught smoking pot off the hook whenever possible.
            To the bold, since Kraft was buddy buddy with Goodell before he got the job, and helped lobby to the other owners for Goodell to get the job; it wouldn't be outlandish to think that Goodell would return a favour here to there.

Benefit is to Goodell as an individual (Kraft's influence would help him with the Owners), not the NFL.

Comment

Conspiracy theories and reality are two different things a most times. There is nothing to gain to showing favoritism to the Patriots. If anything, what this has reaffirmed is that a.) there are cheaters in every walk of life and b.) the NFL tries to let everybody not caught smoking pot off the hook whenever possible.
              Axel wrote: View Post
              To the bold, since Kraft was buddy buddy with Goodell before he got the job, and helped lobby to the other owners for Goodell to get the job; it wouldn't be outlandish to think that Goodell would return a favour here to there.

Benefit is to Goodell as an individual (Kraft's influence would help him with the Owners), not the NFL.
              Suppose I should add the caveat that I HATE the Patriots. Living on the east coast, far too many Patriots fans and media coverage. Hard to catch most Ravens games, but you can always see Jets-Patriots with prime coverage

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

They could ax Goodell if they agreed he wasn't conducting good business.

Axel wrote: View Post
                Suppose I should add the caveat that I HATE the Patriots. Living on the east coast, far too many Patriots fans and media coverage. Hard to catch most Ravens games, but you can always see Jets-Patriots with prime coverage
                Anyone who isn't a Patriots fan tends to hate the Patriots in my experience.

Comment

They could ax Goodell if they agreed he wasn't conducting good business.

Anyone who isn't a Patriots fan tends to hate the Patriots in my experience.
                  Less likely to ax Goodell if he has Kraft's support (very influential owner).

Patriots deserve to be hated imo.

Comment

• These guys are all tough business men who are essentially conquerors. All no doubt highly competitive in their own way to achieve what they have. I have a hard time believing they could be seduced by Kraft.

Comment

These guys are all tough business men who are essentially conquerors. All no doubt highly competitive in their own way to achieve what they have. I have a hard time believing they could be seduced by Kraft.
                      Pretty sure it was a Peter King MMQB a few months back that talked about how well respected Kraft is amoungst his peers. Can't find it anymore, but even in a group of lions, group dynamics exist. He's been around a long time and been very successful. That counts for something.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Pretty sure it was a Peter King MMQB a few months back that talked about how well respected Kraft is amoungst his peers. Can't find it anymore, but even in a group of lions, group dynamics exist. He's been around a long time and been very successful. That counts for something.
                        Well, I respect you but no offense I'm not letting you win this debate.

There is a difference between bringing experience to the table for the good of the league and cheating and getting away with it because of said experience.

Comment

Well, I respect you but no offense I'm not letting you win this debate.

There is a difference between bringing experience to the table for the good of the league and cheating and getting away with it because of said experience.
                          Well Kraft cheats, of that I'm confident, but I doubt the owners would vilify one of their own the same way.

And the conversation that Kraft would be influencing would be steering any conversation about Goodell's job to the money they made with Goodell in charge and all the positives.

and I'm totally winning against you in any debate (really it's just a preview of the RR NFL Dynasty season).

Comment

• So by that token if I cheat you in fantasy football to win the title you're not going to feel put off, and want something done about it? I think you would and we're talking a free fantasy football league.

The NFL is a license to print money. Goodell was on duty but he's not to credit with all of that, come on.

No you're not. I respect you, your words carry weight here yet I am feeling no urge to roll over. Odd, it's like this real life scenario is in violation of your "Kraft Theory of Fat Cat Dynamics".

Comment

So by that token if I cheat you in fantasy football to win the title
                              Maybe you did. I better go back and check things more closely....wait the league is gone.

Comment

• Crabtree
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X