Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/11/rob...e-wells-report

"Kraft in many ways made NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Kraft helped push through Goodell’s election in 2006. Five years later, Kraft left his ailing wife, Myra, to convince the players that Goodell, who was widely despised, and the league could be trusted in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. Kraft helped promote and justify Goodell’s salary increase from $11.5 million before the 2011 lockout to an average of $37 million over the last two fiscal years. And in the wake of last year’s Ray Rice debacle, Goodell’s darkest hour, Kraft defended Goodell to the public and worked behind the scenes to make sure other owners remained loyal to the embattled commissioner.

For his part, Goodell, in the eyes of some, went easy on the Pats after Spygate (relative to subsequent infractions by other teams). In addition, as of 2010, the Patriots had generated the most complaints to the Competition Committee during the Bill Belichick era, and many team executives felt the issues raised were swept under the rug. Goodell has been a guest at Kraft’s home and charity events, and according to a story in GQ, Goodell relies so much on Kraft’s input that the latter is derisively called “the assistant commissioner” by one NFL executive.

Patriots sources are steadfast—and their belief was conveyed to the league, according to a source—that Mike Kensil, the NFL’s VP of game operations, walked up to Patriots equipment manager Dave Schoenfeld on the sideline after halftime and said, “We weighed the balls. You are in big f------ trouble.” New England and Kraft thought this incident, and others, showed bias by the league and would be explored in the Wells report. But the Patriots’ theories (including another in which they believed the Colts deflated the intercepted ball) were tossed aside, with the report simply calling the sideline interaction a difference in recollection.

“I really don’t see how Robert is going to get past this with Roger,” says a source close to Kraft. “Robert was furious with the leaks and the investigation in the first place, but he figured they’d be exonerated. Now he’s out of his mind with anger.”

Will Kraft seek to have Goodell replaced? It’s possible, and we’ll know soon. As chairman of the NFL’s broadcasting committee, Kraft has to work more closely with Goodell than any other owner. After this season the NFL can opt out of its deal with CBS for Thursday-night games, which means a decision needs to be made soon. If Kraft steps away from the committee, Goodell could be in trouble. Kraft, in effect, would have signaled that he’s done putting the league ahead of his personal interest. There’s nothing more dear to him than the reputation of his football team and Brady, his biggest star."
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      SI

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/11/rob...e-wells-report

"Kraft in many ways made NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Kraft helped push through Goodell’s election in 2006. Five years later, Kraft left his ailing wife, Myra, to convince the players that Goodell, who was widely despised, and the league could be trusted in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. Kraft helped promote and justify Goodell’s salary increase from $11.5 million before the 2011 lockout to an average of $37 million over the last two fiscal years. And in the wake of last year’s Ray Rice debacle, Goodell’s darkest hour, Kraft defended Goodell to the public and worked behind the scenes to make sure other owners remained loyal to the embattled commissioner.

For his part, Goodell, in the eyes of some, went easy on the Pats after Spygate (relative to subsequent infractions by other teams). In addition, as of 2010, the Patriots had generated the most complaints to the Competition Committee during the Bill Belichick era, and many team executives felt the issues raised were swept under the rug. Goodell has been a guest at Kraft’s home and charity events, and according to a story in GQ, Goodell relies so much on Kraft’s input that the latter is derisively called “the assistant commissioner” by one NFL executive.

Patriots sources are steadfast—and their belief was conveyed to the league, according to a source—that Mike Kensil, the NFL’s VP of game operations, walked up to Patriots equipment manager Dave Schoenfeld on the sideline after halftime and said, “We weighed the balls. You are in big f------ trouble.” New England and Kraft thought this incident, and others, showed bias by the league and would be explored in the Wells report. But the Patriots’ theories (including another in which they believed the Colts deflated the intercepted ball) were tossed aside, with the report simply calling the sideline interaction a difference in recollection.

“I really don’t see how Robert is going to get past this with Roger,” says a source close to Kraft. “Robert was furious with the leaks and the investigation in the first place, but he figured they’d be exonerated. Now he’s out of his mind with anger.”

Will Kraft seek to have Goodell replaced? It’s possible, and we’ll know soon. As chairman of the NFL’s broadcasting committee, Kraft has to work more closely with Goodell than any other owner. After this season the NFL can opt out of its deal with CBS for Thursday-night games, which means a decision needs to be made soon. If Kraft steps away from the committee, Goodell could be in trouble. Kraft, in effect, would have signaled that he’s done putting the league ahead of his personal interest. There’s nothing more dear to him than the reputation of his football team and Brady, his biggest star."
      All very well....but it sounds (as it's usually is the case with powerful very rich honchos) that there is always a quid pro quo in their relationships. If the animus around the league ownership is as anti Patriots org. as I seem to hear....and Goodell has assessed his support at the table accurately then this should be a delicious tussle. All the more ludicrous since if Brady on day one just said "hey I didnt think it would be a big deal...I am sorry" it would have been over with a wrist slap.

How often have we heard....It's always the coverup. Seems like some people dont read the papers nor history.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
        All very well....but it sounds (as it's usually is the case with powerful very rich honchos) that there is always a quid pro quo in their relationships. If the animus around the league ownership is as anti Patriots org. as I seem to hear....and Goodell has assessed his support at the table accurately then this should be a delicious tussle. All the more ludicrous since if Brady on day one just said "hey I didnt think it would be a big deal...I am sorry" it would have been over with a wrist slap.

How often have we heard....It's always the coverup. Seems like some people dont read the papers nor history.
        I actually believe Kraft is completely innocent in having zero knowledge of the shenanigans going on. Belicheck and Brady are a different story. Makes sense though from a criminal stand point, have the top guy as squeaky clean as possible and hope that his reputation as such helps cover the darker corners of those in his organization.

All that said, Kraft needs to seriously look at his own guys and have "the talk" before going out and speaking in public. Cause if further evidence was brought forth (say additional texts from Brady) and Kraft has no where to place his outrage, it's going to end up on the table of anyone who lied to him.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I actually believe Kraft is completely innocent in having zero knowledge of the shenanigans going on. Belicheck and Brady are a different story. Makes sense though from a criminal stand point, have the top guy as squeaky clean as possible and hope that his reputation as such helps cover the darker corners of those in his organization.

All that said, Kraft needs to seriously look at his own guys and have "the talk" before going out and speaking in public. Cause if further evidence was brought forth (say additional texts from Brady) and Kraft has no where to place his outrage, it's going to end up on the table of anyone who lied to him.
          Agree. Plausible deniability is what they call it I believe. And this typically works well until arrogance and hubris takes over the guy which the cocoon is supposed to protect. I have always wondered why Kraft has never convinced Bellichick to stop it with his weekly post game insulting shtick with the reporters. And these were mostly Boston area press people.

#ILikeKarma

Comment

• lol pats just updated their twitter avatar to Brady's shirt. Heh, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying as they say...

Last edited by rocwell; Tue May 12, 2015, 12:52 PM.

Comment

• It's the echo chamber.

Only the RR is allowed that.
              Last edited by Bendit; Tue May 12, 2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I'm not sold on Belichick knowing about this one. We all want him to be part of it because that fits with our views of him but I don't know.. . This is smalltime stuff and would he think it was valuable to do when considering the risks? Here he has a hall of fame QB, the best TE in the game, a solid compliment, and strong defense. Why risk deflating the ball to give his QB an unquantifiable added edge when he knows all eyes are focused on him, even more in the AFC championship game?

To me, it doesn't make sense for him to be involved with it because based on his ego he wouldn't need to do something like that to win. I mean look what he did with Matt Cassell leading the show that one year. Jimmy G is probably going to light up the Steelers in week 1. Bill will be out to make a statement.

The investigation proved him innocent as well by the way.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  I'm not sold on Belichick knowing about this one. We all want him to be part of it because that fits with our views of him but I don't know.. . This is smalltime stuff and would he think it was valuable to do when considering the risks? Here he has a hall of fame QB, the best TE in the game, a solid compliment, and strong defense. Why risk deflating the ball to give his QB an unquantifiable added edge when he knows all eyes are focused on him, even more in the AFC championship game?

To me, it doesn't make sense for him to be involved with it because based on his ego he wouldn't need to do something like that to win. I mean look what he did with Matt Cassell leading the show that one year. Jimmy G is probably going to light up the Steelers in week 1. Bill will be out to make a statement.

The investigation proved him innocent as well by the way.

The investigation cleared him but only from the limited view that the Wells report was able to find. Without any legal power, the Wells report isn't a definitive report at all, but in its limited findings was able to show that Brady most likely was aware. I am sure there is much more to this story than what was found.

Belicheck admitted to Kraft that the spygate stuff didn't really add any competitive advantage- so he clearly is willing to break the rules for even the slightest edge (on phone so can't provide link). And along that same vein and to your point of having a good team, Belicheck was recording the Jets in spygate; not exactly a powerhouse. No advantage is needed to defeat Mark "Butt-Fumble" Sanchez.

Comment

• Spygate offered a huge advantage. Knowing the opposing teams play signals? That's like playing poker while knowing what the other guy is holding. I don't care what Bill said then, he was probably protecting his ass.

This one there is no proof he had anything to do with it. That means if you are assuming guilt it's purely speculation based on your own views of Bill; you're making a gut call based on Spygate.

Comment

• That's just not the case though. Lack of evidence in the Wells report isn't the same thing as innocent. We got maybe 30% of the facts, which was enough to paint a picture showing Brady's likely involvement but we are still missing a lot.

I know that Belicheck was bullshitting Kraft to an extent, but that is what he said. Will have to find the link.

Comment

• We don't live in a society where you're guilty until proven innocent thankfully.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          We don't live in a society where you're guilty until proven innocent thankfully.

Lol this isn't court so I don't know that would apply.

Comment

• That's a society standard, not just a law. People aren't guilty just because you don't like them.

Comment

• I think 4 games is fair.
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• http://mmqb.si.com/2015/05/13/deflat...-fan-reaction/

4 award winning journalist weigh in:

Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (2014 McCann winner)

I thought it was appropriate, considering Brady did not cooperate fully. As for the Patriots, those two employees represent the team, and they conspired to alter the footballs. In light of the Patriots being convicted once before (for Spygate), it upped the ante, as far as I saw, and made this punishment the right thing.

I thought [coach Bill] Belichick should have been punished somehow. The man who supposedly knows everything under his watch knew nothing? I don’t get that. But I thought the Brady punishment was right.

Moving forward, I think the league has to change how the footballs are handled for games. I think the NFL ought to take control of all the footballs, and everybody should have to throw the same ball. Have the league get some volunteers to get the sheen off and both sides play with the same ball. What other sport allows individual players to control the condition of the ball in play?

Vito Stellino, Florida Times Union (1989 McCann winner)

I don’t understand why Belichick wasn’t suspended. Ignorance is not supposed to be an excuse. Roger Goodell suspended Sean Payton, and he tossed Rich McKay off the competition committee for three months. I find it amazing Brady was doing this under his nose and Belichick had no idea. Belichick is accountable for his team. He wasn’t suspended for Spygate, and he skates here? I don’t understand that. With the culture of cheating in New England, did that let Brady think he could get away with it?

I probably would have gone six to eight games for Brady.

Another chapter in the nightmare year of the NFL.

As far as for Goodell, it was a good move.

They’ve got to do something about the balls in the future. Some league official is going to have to make sure nobody walks off with the balls between the time they’re tested and the game starts.

One other thing that bothers me. The Ted Wells report praised the ref, Walt Anderson, for his diligence. Wells praises Anderson, and Anderson lets the balls disappear before the game? That is puzzling. There’s a lot of puzzling things here.

John McClain, Houston Chronicle (2006 McCann winner)

I believe if Brady had come out and said he did it, and taken it all upon himself, it might have been one game. I still believe, after the appeal, he will not be suspended four games. It does not affect my opinion at all that he is one of the four greatest quarterbacks I have ever seen. And I will vote for him on the first ballot for the Hall of Fame. He deserves it.

I thought what the league gave them was harsh. This sets a precedent. Everybody wondered if Goodell would be tough on [Patriots owner Robert] Kraft. It reminded me when you’re a Little League parent, coaching your son, and he does something wrong and you’re going to be tougher on your son than you would be on the other players. Goodell with Kraft, that was like the Little League coach being tougher on his kid. The rest of the league saw it, and it sets a precedent.

Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News (2004 McCann winner)

I think Tom’s image has taken a hit. I don’t think it’ll keep him out of the Hall of Fame, but I do think it will jeopardize first ballot. You want the biggest names in the sport to come across as heroes. Tom came across as less than that. I expected four games. If [Cleveland GM] Ray Farmer got four for violating the integrity of the game for texting his coaches during games, Brady has to get four. You’ve got to be consistent. Farmer’s actions didn’t cross the white lines. Brady’s actions did.

I understand the big [sanction] against the team. It was the second offense. If there’s no Spygate, maybe this time it’d be a $100,000 fine and a fourth-round pick.

Now, I think the league will hire yet another person to work at the game, with a regulator to measure the pressure in the balls, and then measure the balls and walk them out to the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X