This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith: Colangelo On the Hot Seat Now

Yikes ... I don't see how Colangelo can improve this team a significant amount this summer. I hope he can pull off some amazing tricks, but at this point I'm not a believer.

Q: Hey Doug, at what point do we hold Bryan Colangelo's feet to the fire? When will he be on the proverbial "hot seat"? In his defense (somewhat) he's never tried to do a re-build through the draft, I believe because of his initial success. Long question cut short(ish) if this off-season ends up with the Raptors coming out on the losing end will the big time decision makers allow Bryan Colangelo to try and re-build this team (through the draft or not)?

Bill V, Toronto

A: He’s on the hot-seat now. And it doesn’t matter how close you hold his feet to the fire, he knows what he’s up against and just because fans are clamouring for more success doesn’t mean he’s going to work harder. He’s worked to the best of his abilities since he got the job.

And if the Raptors go down in flames again this season with little appearance of improvement, I would imagine ownership might look long and hard at making a change.
    Source - Click here

Colangelo needs to produce better results ASAP

Q: Hey Doug, at what point do we hold Bryan Colangelo's feet to the fire? When will he be on the proverbial "hot seat"? In his defense (somewhat) he's never tried to do a re-build through the draft, I believe because of his initial success. Long question cut short(ish) if this off-season ends up with the Raptors coming out on the losing end will the big time decision makers allow Bryan Colangelo to try and re-build this team (through the draft or not)?

Bill V, Toronto

A: He’s on the hot-seat now. And it doesn’t matter how close you hold his feet to the fire, he knows what he’s up against and just because fans are clamouring for more success doesn’t mean he’s going to work harder. He’s worked to the best of his abilities since he got the job.

And if the Raptors go down in flames again this season with little appearance of improvement, I would imagine ownership might look long and hard at making a change.
    Source: Doug Smith's Blog

I think the decision won't just be about what's happening in the standings. I think it will have a lot to do with the direction the team appears to be heading towards. The neglect of defense will lead to Colangelo's downfall if he doesn't focus on resolving it. The team is going to score points with or without CB4. So this off-season needs to be about finding some guys who take pride in defending people.

Comment

This team has had the same problems throughout the time that Colangelo has been here, although he's tried to solve these problems with big-splash, quick fix transactions, they just haven't worked. I think what the Raptors need are complete rebuild, not a quick one-year turnaround. When (not if) we lose Bosh, we just won't have the assets to build a winner for next season. I think we give Bryan this one last shot at rebuilding this team, but if we haven't acquired some significant assets with promise by this time next season I think it's time to look in a different direction. I don't know if Colangelo has the patience to build the type of team that this organization needs for the future.

Comment

Smith is the master of stating the obvious. In the past 5-6 years, I can not recall even once that he reported on some braking news or did a great analysis or have some real insider information.

It is a shame how lazy he is with all his access and influence. It sometimes feels like that he visits RR and then waits on the news for a week and then reports it !!!

Comment

Come on Doug, you could have done better than "...doesn’t mean he’s going to work harder. He’s worked to the best of his abilities since he got the job.".

Doesnt every GM do precisely that? The real issue you fail to address, because either you haven't figured it out, or your shorts are fitting too tightly, is BC's vision for the team since he began here. He consciously decided to go for the run & gun offensive team which diminished the defensive, rebounding, shotblocking skills required in a well balanced team.

While I believe BC has recognized the error of that vision you have not it seems. All of that "hard work" becomes unimpressive unfortunately when the recipe is flawed.

Comment

On D. Smith I agree, he has been a spokes person for the Raptors on so many different levels sometimes I even question if his loyalty is with The Raptors or with The Star.

Anyways, I think this reported exodus of players out of Toronto has to do with two things. BC signed the wrong player last summer in Hedo. No one in the league gave him the deal we gave him for a good reason, he was not the right fit plain and simple. The second, I think is uncharachteristic of BC is his mumblings about players; namely the PGs at the exist interview. If I were JJ and I heard what Colangelo said I would demand a trade no question about it.

But hey thats all past tense now, what strikes me as odd is that no one, absolutely no one holds the biggest culprit accountable, namely MLSE. Does anybody think that the firing of Smitch (whether your with it or against it) was orchasterated by BC on his owm!

How about the hiring of Jay, does anybody think that MLSE had no say in it what so ever? If the mandate is to complete (as alleged by management and ownership; i.e. not re-build) Then why no one objected to hiring a coach who never coached a single game in the NBA let alone played in one!
            This is just an example of the constant meddling by the ownership group "The Invisible Hand" who says all the right things, takes part in making all the decisions but hardly ever is to blame.

Money aside (which btw is the only goal MLSE has), I think a stand up charachter in any society whether it be individual or corporate is to admit guilt when they/it commits a mistake. Sadly, MLSE never ever has made such an admission of guilt. More worrying to me is the fact that the sequence of events taking place now is very similar to previous situations this organization has gone through and we as fans have seen as well. I sincerely hope that someone will do something different about it this time.

Comment

thomas1 wrote: View Post
              But hey thats all past tense now, what strikes me as odd is that no one, absolutely no one holds the biggest culprit accountable, namely MLSE. Does anybody think that the firing of Smitch (whether your with it or against it) was orchasterated by BC on his owm!

How about the hiring of Jay, does anybody think that MLSE had no say in it what so ever? If the mandate is to complete (as alleged by management and ownership; i.e. not re-build) Then why no one objected to hiring a coach who never coached a single game in the NBA let alone played in one!
              This is just an example of the constant meddling by the ownership group "The Invisible Hand" who says all the right things, takes part in making all the decisions but hardly ever is to blame.
              Put down the conspiracy stick and step away from the fire.

No, I don't the MLSE had any hand in firing Sam Mitchell or hiring Jay Triano. That makes almost no sense. Actually it makes no sense. They hired Colangelo because of his background, knowledge and reputation. They're not going to try and undermine him and Colangelo's not going to stand for it if they did.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Put down the conspiracy stick and step away from the fire.

No, I don't the MLSE had any hand in firing Sam Mitchell or hiring Jay Triano. That makes almost no sense. Actually it makes no sense. They hired Colangelo because of his background, knowledge and reputation. They're not going to try and undermine him and Colangelo's not going to stand for it if they did.
                So why didn't they object to hiring Jay an unproven coah? never coached in the NBA could he be trusted to lead a "contender"? I think the stated policy of no -rebuilding is undisputed, so why not hire a proven coach ?

Comment

I actually don't mind reading Doug Smith's blogs and stories. The thing is though, I don't view him as a basketball analyst but as a reporter. I don't read his blog for speculation or to read his opinion, I want insider information which is what he provides. He talks to other team's scouts and reporters that cover other NBA teams, etc. I guess it just depends on what you're expecting when you read his stuff.

Comment

So why didn't they object to hiring Jay an unproven coah? never coached in the NBA could he be trusted to lead a "contender"? I think the stated policy of no -rebuilding is undisputed, so why not hire a proven coach ?
                    Uh, well since they hired Colangelo to run the team, they are leaving the decisions to him. It's pretty straight forward. The hired Colangelo because they trust his decision making, so why interfere? That makes no sense. And Triano was well respected in the coaching ranks, having been an assistant and helping out with Team USA.

I also don't know anything about this stated policy of no rebuilding. Maybe you could enlighten me?
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      Uh, well since they hired Colangelo to run the team, they are leaving the decisions to him. It's pretty straight forward. The hired Colangelo because they trust his decision making, so why interfere? That makes no sense. And Triano was well respected in the coaching ranks, having been an assistant and helping out with Team USA.

I also don't know anything about this stated policy of no rebuilding. Maybe you could enlighten me?
                      Mighty mouse, T-Mac, VC and now Bosh how many have walked on us for whatever reason they had, the only things that sticks in my mind is we have an ownership group that cant keep their stars at home. This has been proven time and time again, what is happenning with us and Bosh now is De Javu all over again and I dont think it will stop with him.
                      I will gladly enlighten you on the no-rebuilding policy, since BC assumed the helm of the Raptors almost four years ago how many picks did we get out of the draft?

Did we trade for any young talent during that period? please don't mention Amir and Weems. Amir came because Delfino forced and trade and Weems because Roko wanted more play time. Garbo, Marion, JO, Rasho, Parker, Baston, Evans and so many others are no young talent.

Comment

If BC couldn't fix Raptors, then the Raptors is doomed. Is just too bad that BC put his trust in Hedo, but fans should remember that most of them were behind of BC signing Hedo (except me and few others LOL). At the time, all BC moves made sense and nobody complained, it is easy after things go wrong to point out fingers. I would give BC a second contract, sooner or later he will find the right combination to improve the Raptors, if not a championship squad, at least a second round playoffs team.

Comment

santimo wrote: View Post
                          I want insider information which is what he provides. He talks to other team's scouts and reporters that cover other NBA teams, etc. I guess it just depends on what you're expecting when you read his stuff.
                          That is exactly what I look for sometimes as well but as I said, he has been disappointing so far over the years. All the news that he come up with, has been reported here in RR a week or so before so it is not really an insider news anymore. For a guy with his access and tools, I am expecting some fresh news.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                            Smith is the master of stating the obvious. In the past 5-6 years, I can not recall even once that he reported on some braking news or did a great analysis or have some real insider information.

It is a shame how lazy he is with all his access and influence. It sometimes feels like that he visits RR and then waits on the news for a week and then reports it !!!
                            meh, he's just old.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Mighty mouse, T-Mac, VC and now Bosh how many have walked on us for whatever reason they had, the only things that sticks in my mind is we have an ownership group that cant keep their stars at home. This has been proven time and time again, what is happenning with us and Bosh now is De Javu all over again and I dont think it will stop with him.
                              I will gladly enlighten you on the no-rebuilding policy, since BC assumed the helm of the Raptors almost four years ago how many picks did we get out of the draft?

Did we trade for any young talent during that period? please don't mention Amir and Weems. Amir came because Delfino forced and trade and Weems because Roko wanted more play time. Garbo, Marion, JO, Rasho, Parker, Baston, Evans and so many others are no young talent.
                              You're looking for connections where there aren't any. The problem with your theory is that there hasn't been one owner of the Raptors. There have been several people or groups that have had controlling interest in the Raptors. It's true that Stoudamire left due to ownership, but that's because he had loyalty to Isiah, who was forced out. McGrady left because he didn't want to be overshadowed by Vince and because he felt he was being held back by Butch Carter. VInce left because he, quite rightfully, didn't have confidence in Rob Babcock's ability to improve the team. If Bosh does leave, it's probably because Colangelo failed to build a winning team around him. None of this has anything to do with who currently owns the Raptors. You can believe whatever you want, and probably will, but the fact that Raptors have lost their stars has everything to do with the fact that their GMs have simply not been able to build a successful team longterm.

As for the non-rebuilding policy, your theory is, again, flawed. Of the four drafts that Colangelo has been involved in, including this one, he's traded one draft pick. One. And that was a non-lottery pick for a player he felt would get the Raptors to the next level after making the playoffs two years in a row. Trading a non-lottery pick doesn't exactly have anything to do with not rebuilding. That doesn't make sense.

Oh, and the other draft the Raptors missed was due to Glen Grunwald trading it away for Lamond Murray.

I certainly would have liked Colangelo to bring in more young players initially, but the fact of the matter is that the Raptors had 7 rotation players last year who were 26 years or younger. And you need to get your facts straight about Delfino leaving. He didn't force anything. The Raptors felt, after all the trades they did, that Delfino had no place on the team, so they both agreed that the Raptors find a place for him to go.

You're trying to find the worst in any situation regarding the Raptors, and ignoring facts that contradict your theory.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                              X