Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeMar & Sonny Playing in Summer League!

Per Doug's blog;

While chatting with DeMar and Sonny yesterday, both told us they plan to play for the Raptors summer league team out in Vegas.
    http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Good to hear from the youngers guys. Doug also talks about how great it is to see 5 Raptors in.. getting in some work.. and meeting with the coaches so early! (one being Amir, which hopefully means he plans on returning).

The team requires them to play in the Summer League.

I don't know if it is the contracts but basically every team in the league that has a summer league team either in Las Vegas or Orlando has their players within the first two or three years of their rookie contract playing in the summer league.

The news is a yawner.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I don't think young players are contractually obligated to attend summer league but they are expected to attend. I would have been shocked if one of them wasn't going to be there. I'd love to see Amir show up as well, as to continue to build chemistry but even though he's young, he's been in the league a while and still needs to be signed.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        I don't think young players are contractually obligated to attend summer league but they are expected to attend. I would have been shocked if one of them wasn't going to be there. I'd love to see Amir show up as well, as to continue to build chemistry but even though he's young, he's been in the league a while and still needs to be signed.
        It is my understanding that If a player who was under contract on June 30th and is not under contract at the time that the league plays their games that that player cannot play in the summer league. Johnson had this situation 3 years ago with the Pistons.

Of course Johnson could always sign on July 8th the first allowed day for free agents to sign in 2010. However, there may be another problem with him playing in the summer league. There may be an experience limitation. I am not sure about this.

I guess we will just have to see what happens.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I don't think players are contractually obliged to go either. Bargs didn't go last year and I doubt guys like Tyreke Evans or Stephon Curry will go this year. I don't think every team has a team in the Summer League either. I remember a few years ago the Raptors didn't have a summer league team at all.

Comment

santimo wrote: View Post
            I don't think players are contractually obliged to go either. Bargs didn't go last year and I doubt guys like Tyreke Evans or Stephon Curry will go this year. I don't think every team has a team in the Summer League either. I remember a few years ago the Raptors didn't have a summer league team at all.
            I believe that Bargs had played too many seasons to go last year. However, some exceptional young players who are eligible to play like KD I think might skip it. The better you perform in your first couple of seasons the better the chance you have of getting out of it.

However, again I don't know if players are contractually obligated but it looks pretty bad if you are eligible to play and don't unless you have shown yourself to already be an exceptional player.

Not many players who are eligible and not yet proven really want to go there and challenge the expected norm of going to the summer league for players at less than the star level. So in effect it becomes a required thing to do if you are allowed by the rules to do it unless of course you have already proven yourself to be a star player. Then it becomes definitely voluntary. In fact in those cases your team might not want you to go and risk injury. I don't think Weems and DeRozan fall into that category at this time.
            Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jun 16, 2010, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              It is my understanding that If a player who was under contract on June 30th and is not under contract at the time that the league plays their games that that player cannot play in the summer league. Johnson had this situation 3 years ago with the Pistons.

Of course Johnson could always sign on July 8th the first allowed day for free agents to sign in 2010. However, there may be another problem with him playing in the summer league. There may be an experience limitation. I am not sure about this.

I guess we will just have to see what happens.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
              My recollection of that SL was that Amir (well, really Amir's agent) did not allow him to play in the summer league (to avoid injury) until he had his contract signed, sealed and delivered.
              nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                My recollection of that SL was that Amir (well, really Amir's agent) did not allow him to play in the summer league (to avoid injury) until he had his contract signed, sealed and delivered.
                You could be correct.

It would be strange as a free agent if say Amir were to play for say the Spurs summer league team, assuming they had one, to audition for them.

After all if he is a free agent and if as you say can play in the summer league then he should be able to play for whoever wants him and he agrees to play for.

However, I am not sure who would pay him and he probably would not be covered by insurance if he were injured. So in effect it isn't realistic to expect a NBA player who has become a free agent to play in the summer league if they haven't signed a new contract.

Comment

Durant played in the summer league after his first year when he clearly didn't have to: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/...?urn=nba,92922

Not sure what this has to do with the Raptors but I think it would help to have Amir out there running for a little bit - depending on how many other bigs the Raptors have there to be evaluated.
                  Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
                  X