This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Ethic!

DeMar DeRozan wanders by, here comes Sonny Weems, there’s Jarrett Jack, Amir Johnson trundles by and Joey Dorsey makes an appearance.

None of them had to be in town, they could have easily got their work in wherever they spend their off-seasons, but they all wanted to be here so they could check in with the coaches and get some teaching.

I was trying to think the last time I saw five young Raptors all in the gym here in June and I don’t recall when it was; perhaps back in the early days of the Butch Carter era.

It’s not usually until September that everyone starts arriving back in town for a long season and I’m thinking it says something about these kids – and what they want to accomplish – that they came up now.

We didn’t get a chance to talk to Amir, he was running late and we’ll probably get some time with him when we’re back there on Thursday but the others all said the things coaches like to hear.

DeMar wants to work on his penetration abilities because he knows if he beats his man off the dribble, he’s going to use his athleticism to get to the rim.

Sonny wants to extend his shooting range and work on his ball-handling.

And Jarrett? Well, if you read this, you know what Jarrett had to say.

Anyway, it may be not be the biggest news of the summer for this team but it’s a pretty good sign that at least the young kids are on board and looking to make things better.
    Source: Doug Smith's Blog

I don't know about anyone else, but stuff like this makes me smile. All I want is a hard working team to cheer for. If the team works hard the rest will take care of itself. Love it!

This definitely makes me smile too. I mean, none of those 5 players will ever take the league by storm, but they all serve a purpose. Assuming they all remain Raptors next season and for more seasons to come, we have a decent set of young role players moving forward.

Comment

Right, and if the Raptors can add two more young guns to this hard working group in the draft then things are going to start looking much better in a couple years.

Comment

A couple weeks ago there was a bit of a debate going on as to why the guys don't work out together in Toronto. I am ecstatic they got together and if Bargs will come on over from Europe for a bit I think we can start making some serious strides in terms of our Core getting to know how to play together.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
          A couple weeks ago there was a bit of a debate going on as to why the guys don't work out together in Toronto. I am ecstatic they got together and if Bargs will come on over from Europe for a bit I think we can start making some serious strides in terms of our Core getting to know how to play together.
          Don't think that will happen seeing how he starts with the Italian National Team either this week or next week.

Comment

I think Bargnani playing those minutes on the world stage is more important to his development then him posting up Amir for a few weeks.

EDIT: Although, I would like to see him come early before camp and hang with the three amigos.
            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jun 16, 2010, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Bargnani should direct the Young Gunz movie, Sergio Leone styles. Too bad, Hedo would've been a good Clint Eastwood.

Comment

Amir being here is even more impressive...him being a f/a and all. Injury for him during a workout could be devastating re a new deal. Wonder if they take part in the rookie workouts? Jack also said some good things about wanting to be here despite all the stuff happening. He is a keeper I think just for his character assets.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                  Bargnani should direct the Young Gunz movie, Sergio Leone styles. Too bad, Hedo would've been a good Clint Eastwood.
                  Funny you should mention it, I always though Hedo looked a bit like western character actor Jack Elam. Watch the Pizza Pizza commercial and then watch the first couple minutes of Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West and tell me there isn't an uncanny resemblance.

Comment

Working...
                  X