Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solomon Alabi (Update: Traded to Toronto - Pg. 2)

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to see BC going after some defensive players, take some pressure off of Bargs. I can't see Evans staying with the team after this draft, we have too many guys that can come in and do what he does with more control. You've got to think his contract will be involved with some deal soon.

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am extreemly happy for Alabi, he will continue to improve in coming years. I believe his relationship with Masai Urji will ease his transition into the NBA game. I see a Mutombo/Olojuwan type here. (Going way over board here, but there's a point) Wouldnt it be nice if Olajuwon took this kid under his wing for a couple years? He can greatly benefit from this type of exposure.
    All in all I am Very Pleased with this years draft.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    I am extreemly happy for Alabi, he will continue to improve in coming years. I believe his relationship with Masai Urji will ease his transition into the NBA game. I see a Mutombo/Olojuwan type here. (Going way over board here, but there's a point) Wouldnt it be nice if Olajuwon took this kid under his wing for a couple years? He can greatly benefit from this type of exposure.
    All in all I am Very Pleased with this years draft.
    I think Olojuwan now lives in Jordan and only comes to America for short periods to work in basketball camps during the off-season.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about this guy but Colangelo 2nd round picks in Toronto have never amounted to anything and judging by this pick its unlikely to do as well.

Its a late 2nd rounder which sounds to me more like a PR move rather then something substantial, I mean Nathan Jawai is probably a free agent today so maybe we should call him as well heh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    I don't know anything about this guy but Colangelo 2nd round picks in Toronto have never amounted to anything and judging by this pick its unlikely to do as well.

Its a late 2nd rounder which sounds to me more like a PR move rather then something substantial, I mean Nathan Jawai is probably a free agent today so maybe we should call him as well heh.
    Depends whether the T-Wolves extend a QO to him.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a decent move. Anyone at 7'1 is worth taking a look at. Put him into the D-league and let him bulk up...we'll see what he can do after a year.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
    I guess CB4 is really going..... two bigmen we drafted...
    Yes, because every 50th pick generally contributes almost immediately, right?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post

Colangelo 2nd round picks have never amounted to anything, but perhaps mentioning the sample size would be a good idea here. We've made exactly three 2nd round picks during BC's tenure: the first was P.J. Tucker, a clear 2nd rounder in a very weak draft; the second was Giorgos Printezis, the third last pick of the 2nd round, who we acquired for the purpose of stashing in Europe to work on his tan, err, I mean game; and the third was Nathan Jawai, who was only drafted last year as a project. The jury is still out on Printezis and Jawai, so I guess we're really judging this on the sample size of 1.

I personally don't think Alabi will amount to anything -- projects rarely do -- but there was at least talk about him going as high up as #20 to the Spurs or #21 to the Thunder. That's not something that can be said about Jawai, Tucker or Printezis. And had we traded for a late 1st round pick, we might have picked Alabi there anyway, so at least a lot of his risk has already been mitigated by where he ended up.

---

BTW guys, Alabi + Davis means nothing to Johnson and Bosh. Alabi won't be contributing for at least 2-3 years, and Davis could follow the same time frame (but contributing more, of course).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alabi...

They were high on this guy before the draft. Apparently the revelation that he had Hep B is what drove his stock down. Pure reaction because with the proper medication, this wont effect his game at all. I think this could be a steal.

Post Thanks / Like

great, now guys let's all get angry that we sent away another second round pick. OMG,WTF... oh wait, nobody cares pfff...hahahahaha.

seriously, though there's our back up centre prospect. hopefully, better than pooh on bricks
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...n-second-round

dropped in draft due to medical condition

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jbml wrote: View Post
    http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2...n-second-round

dropped in draft due to medical condition
    Thanks jbml and welcome to the forum.

Alabi was a steal, but the rare medical condition which they didn't talk about kind of concerns me.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be concerned. DeJuan Blair's stock plummeted due to having bad knees, and he worked out fine in one season. This is the 50th pick of the draft guys! We picked up Hasheem Thabeet 2.0 outside of the lottery and well into the late second round.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

As the article said...

"A lot of people, including myself, thought he'd be a first-rounder, so this is a good pick by Dallas," said ESPN analyst Jay Bilas, who listed Alabi as the 20th best prospect in the draft. "He can run, he can block shots and his ability to step away to knock down a shot is impressive. He's got the tools to be a good NBA player."
    FSU's coaches remain convinced Alabi will be a far better pro player than he was in college.
    "I still believe his best basketball is still in front of him," Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton said, noting that the Nigeria native got a late start in basketball. "As he gets bigger and stronger, he'll be more productive on offense."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guy was supposed to go in the mid 20s and the Raps have a good book on him (our African scout "discovered" him). Pity about his ailment...hope he can get medicated well.

Remember people, you cannot teach size and agility. He started playing late (on gravel grounds) and a great team/character individual. Taking a flyer on him at that draft pos. is a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Davis is maybe a weak rotation player at this point.
    Come on man. The guy has a great IQ and plays strong, hard working defense. He doesn't need to score to make an impact. The Raptors desperately need that and he's going to get PT. Book it. Johnson may not be in the cards anymore.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am expecting Ed Davis to be closer to the league average defensively in his rookie year. I think his defensive talent is more potential than current ability.

The rebounding should be very good + his offense should very efficient as a complementary piece. Add mediocre defense on top of that and you have a good rotation player.

I would happy enough to see Ed Davis start and get 30 minutes a night.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Hepatitis B crashed his draft stock. He's gonna be OK though. RT @introcollapse: Is this medical issue with Alabi going to stay under wraps.
    According to Draft Express Alabi has Hepatitis B which it totally treatable. So I don't think he was a risk at all. Certainly a stead for us.

Source - Click here

Post Thanks / Like

I merged the trade thread with a prior thread that had an article on his background.

Also, some information:

Hepatitis B

Also called: HBV

Hepatitis B is one type of hepatitis – a liver disease- caused by the hepatitis B virus (HBV). Hepatitis B spreads by contact with an infected person's blood, semen or other body fluid. An infected woman can give hepatitis B to her baby at birth.

If you get HBV, you may feel as if you have the flu, or you may have no symptoms at all. A blood test can tell if you have it. HBV usually gets better on its own after a few months. If it does not get better, it is called chronic HBV, which lasts a lifetime. Chronic HBV can lead to scarring of the liver, liver failure or liver cancer.

There is a vaccine for HBV. It requires three shots. All babies should get the vaccine, but older children and adults can get it too. If you travel to countries where Hepatitis B is common, you should get the vaccine.
    Source: Medline Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Come on man. The guy has a great IQ and plays strong, hard working defense. He doesn't need to score to make an impact. The Raptors desperately need that and he's going to get PT. Book it. Johnson may not be in the cards anymore.
    I knew that would rattle your chain.

Since I really didn't want to say anything more about that double three guy with the 14% body fat I thought I could have some fun with that comment. I guess I should have put a after it.

Actually, I like Davis game and do think that the Raptors got a young athletic big with very good potential when they drafted him

Post Thanks / Like

If he meet's his DraftExpress.com worst case scenario of a better version of Udonis Haslem then the pick is a home run. If he meets his best case scenario of Al Horford then the pick is a three run homer to left field:

Thread Information