• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S. African Man Beaten To Death For Watching World Cup

June 17, 2010
    S. African killed by wife, kids in TV spat

Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.

David Makoeya, a 61-year-old man from the small village of Makweya, Limpopo province, fought with his wife and two children for the remote control on Sunday because he wanted to watch Germany play Australia in the World Cup. The others, however, wanted to watch a gospel show.

"He said, 'No, I want to watch soccer,'" police spokesman Mothemane Malefo said Thursday. "That is when the argument came about.

"In that argument, they started assaulting him."

Malefo said Makoeya got up to change the channel by hand after being refused the remote control and was attacked by his 68-year-old wife Francina and two children, 36-year-old son Collin and 23-year-old daughter Lebogang.

Malefo said he was not sure what the family used to kill Makoeya.

"It appears they banged his head against the wall," Malefo said. "They phoned the police only after he was badly injured, but by the time the police arrived the man was already dead."
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...cc=5901&ver=us
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Musta been The Very Rev. Jimmy Swaggert who was being pre-empted.

Comment

Apparently they missed the point of the religion they were so fervently trying to follow.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

ya, uh over here we dont murder someone for not wanting to watch the show we want.

that might be why they aren't a developed country.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I nearly beat myself to death after watching the Aussies get their butts smacked.

Comment

Luckily I didn't watch, or I would have beat the shit out of the TV

Comment

South Africa is a messed up country.

They should have the world cup in Canada.

Comment

Working...
              X