Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit a Homerun or Build For the Future?

Jack Armstrong did a nice piece with TSN this morning giving his two cents on how he would like to see things roll out for the Raptors this summer and down the road.

Jack seems to be going to the way of starting a rebuild now and build for the future instead of what most fans want today, that being "hit a homerun" now and see moves can be made this summer with the hopes that the team does something sooner rather than later.

So, we've beaten a dead horse with all these trade proposals involving Bosh, Jose, Hedo, Nav Bhatia, etc, but right now where would you guys like to see things go? Fix the problems NOW and try and be a contender immediately or building something over the next couple seasons with the hopes of being a contender a few years from now and a team that will remain strong for years to come ala the Pistons from 2001-2008 as Jack mentioned?

It's most important to consider that it's unlikely to expect the Raptors to be playing in the NBA Finals next season. The Eastern Conference Finals aren't likely either. Who knows if they'll even be good enough to compete for a playoff spot. Lets be realistic. This is about building a sustainable championship-caliber organization and the next few moves will decide whether the proper pieces are in place to build that type organization. In my opinion, they should make moves that make sense in 2012, 2013 and beyond. I'd rather wait and make sharp under-the-radar moves that make sense in building a team (EX: Detroit Pistons 2001-08). Build a team that is around for the long haul and is successful rather than trying to hit a home run and risk striking out with names that might wow you rather than get you wins. The Raptors should just use good Ol' fashioned common sense and do what's right instead of what's popular. Long term thinking is key.
    Source - Click here

Full rebuild mode. Put this team on DeMar's shoulders and see if we can move Bargs elsewhere.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
      Put this team on DeMar's shoulders...
      Really - put this team on DeMar's shoulders? This guy has had a half dozen good games in the Pac-10 and some okay play as a rookie and you are ready to put this teams future in the hands of the next Fred Jones?

I really hope I am wrong, but I don't see DeMar being anything more than a servicable rotation player.

Comment

Putting the team on DeMar's shoulders doesn't mean he is the future of the team. It means what it says. Let him shoulder some load to show if he's the real deal or not, so that we can decide if we should go after another SG with major upside.

Playing the role of 5th option was a horrible idea for his rookie season in my opinion. If you want a guard to develop, you need to put the ball in his hands. Giving him minutes is not enough. Especially when, in those minutes, he had the defined role of "just don't fuck up and play".

Comment

I don't understand how we will rebuild when all our stars want to leave T.O. after few years !!

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
            I don't understand how we will rebuild when all our stars want to leave T.O. after few years !!
            Couldn't agree with you more. If Bosh wants to stay in Toronto then we gotta take him. Its a rare occurence for the Raps to lure all-stars so I would take him in a second. As for putting the team on Demars shoulders, are you for real?? I understand everybody has a boner for him because he's staying in Toronto and working hard (which is very awesome), but come on. Can somebody give me a reason why the Raps would do so.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
              Vince stayed 6 years, signed an extension, and eventually demanded to be traded after realizing the team was going nowhere. Bosh stayed 7 years and MAY leave this summer because after 7 years, no one has been able to surround him with enough talent to get out of the first round, and the team hasn't made the playoffs in two years.

Players tend to want to leave teams more that aren;t going anywhere and stay with successful teams. If you rebuild the Raptors into a successful team, that's the best way to keep your talent.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I would rather start a rebuild, but I wouldn't mind trying for the home run if Bosh comes back. Just so long as home run means someone who is actually pretty good and not someone who has had one good playoff run or doesn't have functioning knees anymore.
                Also, there is no way Demar is ready to be the number one option on any NBA team and we would win fewer games than New Jersey did if we try that. I think you use him as your second option and run a lot of plays for him, but there is no way he will be successful as the guy any time soon.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Armstrong's Take On The Raptors' Off-Season

Bosh:
                  We're all worn out by this whole July 1 saga with the stars of the game holding the emotions of their fan bases hostage, as we wait for their decisions.
                  Bosh absolutely needs to have a dynamic perimeter presence to truly be an upper tier player who can help a team win.
                  I'm not sure if he's a good investment if he doesn't have that other type player with him. I hope he stays, but it's got to work for both sides.
                  Hedon't:
                  You have 29 other teams making offers to you that are 50-60 cents on the dollar, which is a tough spot for Colangelo to be in. Turkoglu put the team there. Does Turkoglu have value? Yes, he's a good player, and I think he'll play well next season for whichever team gets him. Many don't want anything to do with his contract unless they can unload some 'issues' back on you. The Raptors need to sift through the challenges here and come up with a deal that makes sense economically and on the court.
                  PG Situation:
                  My bet is that at least one of them will go, and they'll live with the other and try to draft a second point guard and/or pick up one on the cheap in a trade, etc. Resolution is needed in this area. Who is your guy? Decide and live/grow with him.
                  Draft:
                  I expect the Raptors to stay true to their draft board and pick the highest-ranked player when their turn comes, despite position.
                  It wouldn't surprise me to see them try to acquire another first-round pick. Picking low-cost players with potential is not a bad way to go right now. There is no doubt that they would put this pick in play as well if it could improve a package with the other three above options.
                  Source: TSN.ca

Comment

if the raptors got another first rounder and philly drafted cousins and the nets were offering up there pick we could get it with the 2 p[icks and maybe i don't know belinelli or banks or maybe even derozan?

would you do it?
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Beat ya to it yesterday Apollo.

But you pointed out a couple more references that I didn't touch on that Jack discussed. So carry on.

Comment

There goes my undefeated streak. Thaaaanks alot!

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                          Putting the team on DeMar's shoulders doesn't mean he is the future of the team. It means what it says. Let him shoulder some load to show if he's the real deal or not, so that we can decide if we should go after another SG with major upside.

Playing the role of 5th option was a horrible idea for his rookie season in my opinion. If you want a guard to develop, you need to put the ball in his hands. Giving him minutes is not enough. Especially when, in those minutes, he had the defined role of "just don't fuck up and play".
                          Sorry Marz I disagree. The Raptors started a rookie to give him a good chance to get his feet wet. This is not normally done but I agreed rather than do what was with Bargs. You must remember DD was picked for his "potential" on developing his various basketball skills rather than any one aspect (other than his athleticism). Even his physical size has not yet fully matured and caused some problems last season in terms of finishing. The team was also expected to do much better and it was best not to put too much pressure on him by assigning him the role you described.

As you know, in the nba good rookie players automatically find their level on the team (eg. Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings etc) and DD would if he improves on his skillset. Some of the deficiencies I (as well as others) notice is his ball handling, dribble-drive finishing, rebounding and 3 pt. shooting and of course defense. This is quite a list and all we can go on is his potential because he doesnt have a large resume (1 yr at USC where he was a high flyer) and hs where he was so athletically gifted that he probably didnt need the above mentioned individual bb skills to succeed as a forward in a running offense. Now its half court sets most of the time and the competition much better.

So, unless the Raptors decide to go into full bore rebuild it would be difficult imo to let DD be a very high scoring option on the team. He is going to have to create his shot when he gets the ball and be defensively responsible to prove he is ready. He is still only 20 so he has time before we should lay too much on his shoulders.

Comment

Personally i think its a good idea to see if Demar can handle doing anything, but spotting up in the corner and cutting to the basket. Let him run some PNR's, give him a few iso's, and run a couple pinch posts with him and Andrea.

Comment

Working...
                            X