A.I. Planning Comeback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I. Planning Comeback

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Allen Iverson is working on a comeback.

Gary Moore, Iverson's personal manager, said that Iverson is planning a return to the NBA next season. Iverson returned to the Philadelphia 76ers in December and took a leave of absence in March because of family issues.

"Allen is working out and he's getting himself prepared to make his return," Moore said by phone Friday. "He absolutely will try and play next year."

Iverson left the Sixers to deal with an undisclosed illness of his 4-year-old daughter, Messiah.

"With God's graces, she's doing very well," Moore said.

Iverson has not talked publicly since ending his second stint with the Sixers. Iverson's wife, Tawanna, filed for divorce the same week he left Philadelphia. He posted messages on his Twitter account in March telling fans he expected to overcome the most recent obstacles in his life.

Iverson's most recent Twitter updates were promotions for his basketball camp in July and his documentary "Deconstructing Allen Iverson." Moore said the film could be released in the fall.

Iverson was the No. 1 overall pick in the 1996 draft and spent his first 10 seasons in Philadelphia. He won the MVP in 2001 when he led the Sixers to the finals.

Sixers president Ed Stefanski said on an NBA.com chat this week the team was "not aware of what his plans are for the future."

Iverson, who turned 35 on June 7, was a four-time scoring champion and averaged 26.7 points in a 14-year career with the Sixers, Denver, Detroit and Memphis. He failed to win a championship.

Iverson made a tearful return to Philadelphia eager to prove he wasn't finished after disastrous stints in Detroit and Memphis. He returned to a sold-out crowd dotted with No. 3 jerseys, but he only showed flashes of his former playmaking self when he ruled the NBA as one of the best guards around.

"Allen wants to come and help a team win a championship, which he's completely capable of doing," Moore said.
    Source: NBA.com

T-Mac and Iverson to the Lakers as reserves haha

Comment

Yawn.
      This comeback will last about 10 games.
      Then he'll start complaining about practice or limited minutes or bla bla bla
      Then he'll quit.
      Then a few weeks later he'll whine about being able to help a team win a championship.
      Then people will yawn some more.

Comment

I think that the raps should go for him if possible. Now, I'm not condsidering the financial aspects as well as how the contracts would play out, but imagine inverson on this team. I beleive that he is still able to compete at this level. Now I'm not expecting 30 points per game and 7 assists, but maybe a solid 15 and 7. If he says he's been working out and he's still in decent shape, he could probably still run with the best of them, this could mean he could fly down the court with the young gunners, DDR and Weems. Also, he would provide another offensive threat on the floor with his own scoring ability, taking pressure off bosh (assuming he stays). On a defensive stand point, I believe that he is still able to run around with elite point guards like Chris Paul and Rajon Rondo, he may not be able to get 2 steals per game but atleast we have a better defensive liability at the point guard position. Heck, anyone is a better defensive liability than Calderon. I realize this seems kind of crazy, but I think it would be very benificial for inverson to come to the raptors, not sure if he would want too, but minutes would be available if calderon or jack leave. The only downside to this would be his willingness to play and how he would effect the chemistry of the locker room. All-in-all I'm an iverson fan and a raptors fan. I would love to see inverson at the ACC. GETTER DONE BC!

Comment

Working...
        X