Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mac Wants To Be A Laker

Post Thanks / Like

Default T-Mac Wants To Be A Laker

Tracy McGrady would like to sign with the 2010 NBA champion Lakers, and has forwarded that sentiment to his agent and close colleagues, according to sources within the Lakers' front office.

Despite having limited intentions to use the Mid-Level Exception this summer, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak would consider pulling the trigger on the seven-time All-Star swingman should he accept a paycut at the MLE. Ron Artest, the defensive-minded role player who played a huge factor in this year's Lakers-Celtics NBA Finals, has reached out to McGrady to "end his career as a champion."

The Lakers are willing to explore a potential reunion of former Houston teammates Ron Artest and Tracy McGrady once the July 1 free agency begins.

In Los Angeles, Tracy McGrady would be asked to come off the bench as a role player, similar to what Lakers' forward Lamar Odom has done in the past two seasons. McGrady would provide the Lakers' bench unit with some offensive firepower and stability, and be another deadly weapon in the already loaded Lakers' arsenal.

Most importantly, the acquisition of Tracy McGrady would address the important need for a secondary slasher besides Kobe Bryant. As advocated by Laker great Jerry West, "I think they do need some changes. If you look, they have some free agents that are coming up but the thing that would most concern me is I think they need someone else other than Kobe Bryant getting in the lane."

Moreover, unlike former teams in which he was asked to carry the team throughout the entire season, Tracy McGrady understands that a potential role with the Lakers would not require such an emotionally draining position of leadership. McGrady has tremendous respect for the reigning Finals MVP Kobe Bryant, and has made it known that he would gladly accept a lesser role to play alongside whom he considers the best basketball player in the world.

As expressed by one high-ranked official within the Lakers' management, should Tracy McGrady not return to the New York Knicks next season or spurn retirement, "expect the deal to get done by end of July."
    Source: Bleacher Report

I hope they're installing a seat belt on Kobe's coattail.

Post Thanks / Like

great if they get t-mac and he does good which he should in limited minutes they are three-poeating for sure.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. I didn't think i could hate the Lakers any more.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

This sounds like 2004 all over again, get a bunch of over the hill vets out for one last shot at glory or rather maybe just to taste the second round.

Maybe Kobe will even take Shaq back now that he has a comfortable one ring lead on him.

Oh my god, is that Steve Nash's music?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

T-Mac at the MLE is way too much to spend, especially when you're paying luxury tax. I doubt the Lakers take him unless he accepts the vets minimum, which is really not much less than he's currently worth.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate Tmac he's a prick, and selfish. That being said I'm sure anybody could care less what I have to say when the Lakers sport one of the best teams ever, and jive their third title in as many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    T-Mac at the MLE is way too much to spend, especially when you're paying luxury tax. I doubt the Lakers take him unless he accepts the vets minimum, which is really not much less than he's currently worth.
    It says clearly that they would consider him if he's willing to take a pay cut to the MLE.

Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    This sounds like 2004 all over again, get a bunch of over the hill vets out for one last shot at glory or rather maybe just to taste the second round.
    This is totally different. We're not talking about them going out and signing two aging Hall of Famers past their peak to play key roles in the starting lineup. We're talking about them signing an aging vet to come off the bench. Not sure how adding T-Mac causes them to step back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post

Maybe Kobe will even take Shaq back now that he has a comfortable one ring lead on him.

Oh my god, is that Steve Nash's music?
    you know the lakers are a bunch of bitches. but, i mean if thye got nash i'd be so happy for him.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

T-Mac What a Pathetic miserable excuse of a Player.

Lakers Do not need that Lazy Parasite on their team. They need young blood who are athletic and aggressive off the bench.

T-Mac wants a to be a Laker and ride Kobe and Gasol to a Ring at the end of his careers, then get the Veteran minimum and join the Lakers.

That is all you are Worth now T-Mac.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tells you something about T-mac. I guess he's given up as a player and just wants a ring he didn't even earn himself.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait, didnt T-Mac say quite so sincerely not too long ago that he would love to come back and play for the Knicks? He even said he would help with recruiting for them. How times change? I am surprised the pundits and sources dont say what Kobe thinks of the move? I am sure he has much input into such personnel change. TMac may think highly of Kobe (as he did of the Knicks) but does Kobe think the same of him?

Post Thanks / Like

Bendit, maybe the Knicks are non-commital? Maybe T-Mac knows something we don't? I think Kobe only cares about winning rings at this point in his career. He doesn't have to be best friends with everyone, he just needs them all to show up and perform. If replacing Ariza with Ron Ron didn't send ripples through the franchise then neither would adding T-Mac.

Oh and then I found this:
    Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady are good friends off the court
    Source: Basketball Digest
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jun 22nd, 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Reports were that D'Antoni didn't want T-Mac back.

Post Thanks / Like

One more interesting thing. Adam Morrison's contract is done. That's $5.2M off the books. Then when you add in Brown, Fisher, Ilunga-Mbenga and Josh Powell you have another $9M off the books. That's close to $15M off the books this off season while not even considering if they keep Farmar.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    One more interesting thing. Adam Morrison's contract is done. That's $5.2M off the books. Then when you add in Brown, Fisher, Ilunga-Mbenga and Josh Powell you have another $9M off the books. That's close to $15M off the books this off season while not even considering if they keep Farmar.
    They will be resigning Fisher, I'd expect for a modest contract seeing how he's BIG-TIME, and helped win 5 NBA titles.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy could retire.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jlongs wrote: View Post
    Tells you something about T-mac. I guess he's given up as a player and just wants a ring he didn't even earn himself.
    He isn't giving up as a "player" he is simply accepting numerous factors: injuries, knees, age (for him it's a factor), and his role.

After a while his age is catching up with him due to the fact that he has been injured in the past few years which limits his ability to be a leader on a team IMO. Accepting a lesser role and being a team player doesn't mean he's going to lay down and die it just means he wants less money for the fact that he can go to a contending team and contribute to what they need him to do.

I would love for the Lakers to build an Aged All-Star bench much like the Celtics, the rest of the league is going after the summit series FA's this summer, if the Lakers try to get people like T-Mac at the Veteran salary I believe they can threepeat next year! I'm for it!

Seeing Nash on the lakers would be rough though, do they move Fisher to the bench? Or place Nash on the bench?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    They will be resigning Fisher, I'd expect for a modest contract seeing how he's BIG-TIME, and helped win 5 NBA titles.
    heh, Adam Morrison makes me laugh check this out:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy could retire.
    He could definately retire. But watching Fish go for his fifth was pretty amazing. Its obvious this guy only gets his thrills playing high caliber bball. He's still got a couple years left, he played an integral role on their team, & Kobe wants him back more then anybody. Fish is one of the craftiest PG's in the league, and could definately be part of more championships. I just don't see it happening...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the direction they might want to go. Kobe will be pushing hard for him to come back, but I don't see how they can beat the Thunder next year with him at point guard.

Would he accept a role coming off the bench?

The Tmac move doesn't seem like a great one, they get older and slower. I still think he has something to offer, but how many pseudo alpha males can one team have before it starts to self destruct.

If they thought defending thier title the first time was hard, going for a threepeat is even harder. Outside of Kobe and Gasol, everyone's head is already expanding.

Thread Information