Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Canucks Vote With The Remote

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Canucks Vote With The Remote

    Outside our universal health care, there are few cows more sacred in this country than the arts.

    We fund all forms of art with taxpayer dollars — music, film, TV, dance, painting, sculpture, theatre and on and on.

    It’s expected we just accept it and dare not speak out about it, no matter how low-quality or questionable the content may be.

    The point was proven last week when Culture and Community Spirit Minister Lindsay Blackett took shots from all sides over comments he made at the Banff World Television Festival.

    Despite saying what a lot of people think, Blackett has been skewered by many in the industry, with the typical overreaction that comes anytime anyone wonders aloud about art forms that benefit greatly from the public’s largesse.

    The audience at the panel discussion had been howling with laughter for the 10 minutes leading into Blackett’s now infamous utterance of “Why do I produce so much s***? Why do I fund so much crap?”, mostly due to Canadian actor Kenny Hotz’s mocking of the overt Canadian-ness of a lot of what we produce.

    “I don’t ever have to have Rita MacNeil singing or Dalton McGuinty jokes” on my show, he said, to a chorus of laughter.

    He also slayed the crowed with quips about eagle heads, mukluks and no one in Toronto caring about shows set in Moncton or Winnipeg.

    But arts and culture luminaries ignored the obvious double standard and let loose on Blackett with both barrels.

    Actor Paul Gross, whose last major project benefitted from $5 million in provincial taxpayer money, told the Globe and Mail the comments were disheartening and it was “sad for all Albertans that this is what passes for responsible government.”

    And CBC Television General Manager Kirstine Stewart, who was in the audience, had the gall to tell the Globe “Nobody can ever question the quality of what we do here in Canada, creatively or otherwise.”

    Uh, why the hell not?

    Why is it that the industry feels not only entitled to funding, but also to be free from scrutiny?

    I guess we should tell the country’s TV critics “hands off” the next time the CBC, CTV or Global roll out another show that is awful.

    Because anyone who has watched any Canadian TV over the years knows the landscape is littered with crap.

    And if the minister — who elaborated on his comments in this paper, suggesting more needs to be done funding wise at the script development level, and pledged to see that happen — wants to start a national debate on how best to encourage our artists to produce their best work, then we should get behind him.

    So he used a four-letter word to emphasize his point? The horror.

    Who doesn’t want a minister who speaks his mind, especially if he’s speaking his mind about problems that are germane to the portfolio he oversees?

    No one with a brain in their heads should have been left with the impression that Blackett feels every Canadian TV show sucks.

    There are some great shows on Canadian TV and there are some terrible shows on Canadian TV, just like with movies, music, books, and so on.

    So if we’re going to dole out $31 million in provincial grants, as we did in 2008-09, then there’s absolutely nothing wrong with suggesting we can do better.

    But that notion is lost on those who would benefit from better Canadian programming.

    You’d think they’d want more Canadians to like and watch what they’re putting out there.

    Because, regardless of how highly industry or government view our cultural products, it’s Canadians who vote with the remote control.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/news/colum.../14459561.html

    i'm not going to lie our series suck. we haven't come up with a good drama, or comedy ina hwile, like i mean what do we have besides trailer park boys (which is brutal after a while)?

    the animated shows and sports shows are good. but, we need a good drama or cop show like house(was good now kinda boring),flash forward, lost (even though it's done), when have we ever come up with a good show like these?

    we've got candian guys like kiefer sutherland and joshua jackson in these shows. so, we know we have good actors now all we need is good shows they can be in.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good article I'm glad you posted it. I had the exact same thoughts just never followed through with it, good job. Canadian TV is absolutely terrible, with the exception of Trailer Boys, and Degrassi (maybe?) I think we got the technology to sport a show with good production value. It just seems as though Canada doesn't have the creativity to embrace our culture in an appealing manner.

    What does this have to do with a responsible government? Were talking about tv. Actor Paul Gross says this is disheartening to Albertans? Paul, you and your shitty resume is the only thing disheartening to Albertans you loser. His comment adheres to the mundane standard that Blackett was talking about. I couldn't be prouder that an Albertan let it rain in Banff.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I actually think Blackwell is an idiot, he admits that he has bad judgement when it comes to his spending.

    I support Canadian, taxpayer funding for the arts otherwise we'd only care about the Canadians working in L.A., which is stupid.

    I don't make a point of watching dramas no matter where they are from so I don't care whether they are good or bad. However, for Canadian dramas/cop shows (Flashpoint, the Border (was good for a while), Da Vinci's inquest was great, the Bridge and others). Other shows that were deemed too expensive, but were great (11th hour, This is Wonderland).

    The fact that some of the best Canadian shows are the ones that are not on CTV, Global, or the main network of CBC is part of the problem. Canada has a history of spending on good sci-fi dramas, documentaries, the best children's programming in the english world, stand-up comedy and others).

    If you want better shows maybe you need to convince people to spend the money on the shows.

    As an example, the original CSI was written by a Canadian.

    Check Wikipedia you'll recognize a lot of shows, that you may have never known were Canadian.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    I actually think Blackwell is an idiot, he admits that he has bad judgement when it comes to his spending.

    I support Canadian, taxpayer funding for the arts otherwise we'd only care about the Canadians working in L.A., which is stupid.

    I don't make a point of watching dramas no matter where they are from so I don't care whether they are good or bad. However, for Canadian dramas/cop shows (Flashpoint, the Border (was good for a while), Da Vinci's inquest was great, the Bridge and others). Other shows that were deemed too expensive, but were great (11th hour, This is Wonderland).

    The fact that some of the best Canadian shows are the ones that are not on CTV, Global, or the main network of CBC is part of the problem. Canada has a history of spending on good sci-fi dramas, documentaries, the best children's programming in the english world, stand-up comedy and others).

    If you want better shows maybe you need to convince people to spend the money on the shows.

    As an example, the original CSI was written by a Canadian.

    Check Wikipedia you'll recognize a lot of shows, that you may have never known were Canadian.
    ya, i know but it's kind of a what have you done for me lately kind of thing and ya csi was written by a candian so were a lot of things adn candian actors are/were in a lot of great shows but they weren't made in canada.

    you know what was shows that I still enjoy watching sometimes "Hilarious House Of Frightenstein" a kids show, prolly. but, still entertaining if you're not a kid.
    i still watch it on space sometimes.

    Quote Nick wrote: View Post
    Good article I'm glad you posted it. I had the exact same thoughts just never followed through with it, good job. Canadian TV is absolutely terrible, with the exception of Trailer Boys, and Degrassi (maybe?) I think we got the technology to sport a show with good production value. It just seems as though Canada doesn't have the creativity to embrace our culture in an appealing manner.

    What does this have to do with a responsible government? Were talking about tv. Actor Paul Gross says this is disheartening to Albertans? Paul, you and your shitty resume is the only thing disheartening to Albertans you loser. His comment adheres to the mundane standard that Blackett was talking about. I couldn't be prouder that an Albertan let it rain in Banff.
    never really watched degrassi. from what i've seen it's alright.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    ya, i know but it's kind of a what have you done for me lately kind of thing and ya csi was written by a candian so were a lot of things adn candian actors are/were in a lot of great shows but they weren't made in canada.
    Again, its a chicken and egg, if companies start showing the money more than likely the quality will improve. Too many times, Canadians don't want to watch shows that feel Canadian, which is ridiculous. If its bad its bad, but the fact that they want to watch Baywatch and Desperate Housewives instead, makes me embarrassed for them.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Again, its a chicken and egg, if companies start showing the money more than likely the quality will improve. Too many times, Canadians don't want to watch shows that feel Canadian, which is ridiculous. If its bad its bad, but the fact that they want to watch Baywatch and Desperate Housewives instead, makes me embarrassed for them.
    true say.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •