Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should The Raptors Take A Look At Morrison? (Update: Raps WILL Take a Look At Adam M)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jeevie wrote: View Post
    If we resign bosh, and can get an all-star to play with him then yes get him at the minimum for 1.8 mill, when our starters come off the bench, or when DD gets an unreal dunk over someone we need someone off the bench to jump in a suit waving his hands in the air.

Adam Morrison, the last 2 years of his career has made every high school kid who was the 12th guy on the team feel special. He gives hope to water boys everywhere!
    Jeevie, to clear something up because I believe I didn't do a proper job of explaining earlier:

BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception was previously named the "$1 Million exception" (perhaps "misnamed" is more appropriate, since it was only valued at $1 million in 1998-99). It may be used to sign any free agent to a contract starting at the following amounts:
    2010-11 $2.08 million
    This exception may not be used two years in a row (and if the $1 Million exception was used in 2004-05, the Bi-Annual exception may not be used in 2005-06). It may be split and given to more than one player, and can be used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 8%. Also see question number 20 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.
    Vet Minimum:
    The minimum salaries scale upward each season. Here are the minimum salaries:
    For a player with 4 years of experience the Vet minimum is $915,852 in the 2010/2011 season. That's that the best case scenario for signing Morrison. The worst case would actually be $2M, the BAE(Bi-Annual Exception)

Source: NBA Salary Cap FAQ

Comment

That depends in who else is around. Like Tim. W said, it would be better to save that spot for someone who could actually do something, but if he's still available and we haven't got anyone I don't see why we wouldn't sign him for the min. The guy did have some skill at some point, and interestingly, already has more title than Bosh, Howard, Wade, and Lebron combined.
      That may be one of the worst draft years ever, the only all stars to date were Roy and Rondo, neither of which went in the top ten.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

...either awy he's terrible.

Comment

Id probably give morrison a chance. People can say "if he was good why didnt Phil Jackson give him a chance to play" i mean common, the lakers are loaded, especially in his position. you have artest, then odom and its not like he's a young player that they can develop. im pretty sure Phil saw some good things in his game that he could bring to the table incase one of the SFs go down, otherwise they wouldve either used him as trade addition or waived him.

he could be an interesting addition. he's at the point of his career where he'll basically sign with any team that would take him, and, prove to that team that he still has it in him to play. he would definitely become a student, trying to grasp whatever he can from his coach and teammates and follow everything that he is asked of him because he is not in a position to argue. in short, these are desperate times for him so i dont think he'll throw that opportunity away in case the Raps sign him.

He can probably still knock down the 3 and he looks like he's still quick on his feet to guard SFs, if not, he has his 6 fouls the team can use.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            I think he's still got a decent chance at being an NBA player, but he's completely the wrong type of player for the Raptors. Completely. I'd much rather use a roster spot for a player that would be much better for the team.
            Most guys signed with the vet minimum, with the exception of contenders, are guys who typically can't help a team.

Comment

The sooner everyone passes up on Morrison, the sooner he can get on with his life. This guy should not be making any more than you or I, which is somewhere in the range of 40-80k per year (on average). Any more than that would be a serious travesty.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

I dunno about this one. Larry Brown didn't like him, neither did Phil Jackson. Dude has not played competitively for 2 years (and he got 2 rings for it). His game was terrible in Charlotte. I think he does deserve another shot to prove himself, and sadly, I think BC is just the type of guy who will give him the shot. Really, Morrison, O'Bryant, hell, Douby, whoever you get is just going to ride the pines anyways. Might as well throw the vets min at AI and see if he takes it.

Comment

Tell me. Which wing player currently on the Raps roster is Morrison superior to?

I would take Bellinelli over this guy. At least he can run.

I think its fast becoming an annual ritual, where some guy comes up with the "The Raps should go after Adam Morrison..." statement.

Unless you like the way he looks in a suit, sitting at the end of the bench, or maybe you just find him cute, there is no place for him in this league on any team but a bottom-feeder team.

Comment

EarthJuice wrote: View Post
                    Tell me. Which wing player currently on the Raps roster is Morrison superior to?

I would take Bellinelli over this guy. At least he can run.

I think its fast becoming an annual ritual, where some guy comes up with the "The Raps should go after Adam Morrison..." statement.

Unless you like the way he looks in a suit, sitting at the end of the bench, or maybe you just find him cute, there is no place for him in this league on any team but a bottom-feeder team.
                    i think you need to realize that Adam Morrison will not be the savior of this team. he's an insurance player. players who you can bury on the bench and then come game 50 you can call when you need em and they wont whine and pass on playing. i think everybody here expects that you need a Chris Paul as your 15th man so that the team still looks good even upto the last player.

If you can name a vet in his early 20s who's gone through a lot of adversity in his career, and still has some fight left in him, who can still shoot then id take that over morrison.
                    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Jun 22, 2010, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Yes, to sign him to a one year vet minimum contract would mean little to the bottom line. He would be easy to cut if they needed roster space. All they would be doing is bringing him in and hoping for something positive. Before they brought in JaMario Moon no one had heard of him and no one expected him to make camp. He turned out to be a decent role player. I believe the only reason people don't even want to consider the idea is because the guy carries the "bust" label. We collectively have clamored over players who had no right being in the league, let alone with the talent to be selected 3rd overall.
                      Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jun 22, 2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

I really like Morrison, but I only sign off his signing if it means half the roster has also been replaced. I'd like to know how mentally stable he is, is he working on his game or has he just been crying on the inside for two years.

The guy has a ton of talent and a great feel for the game, but talk about reclamation projects.

Comment

well, at least he's better than Bosh

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                            He got the attention, the Coaching that he will never get in Raptors ( well, look at out coaching staff and what they have done for some of our talents in recent years) and still was not able to impress.
                            I'm not sure if you're insinuating that Morrison wouldn't get the attention he got in L.A. because the Raptors coaching staff doesn't help young players, but if you are, that goes against logic. If the Raptors coaching strength has one strength, it's helping young players develop.

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Most guys signed with the vet minimum, with the exception of contenders, are guys who typically can't help a team.
                            I'm not saying that those guys are going to help the team, per say, but if you need one to play a few minutes, here or there, I'd rather he be someone who more fits what they need, a la Banks or Evans (both of whom SHOULD probably be making the veteran's minimum. Basically, I'd like role players for my deep bench, and Morrison doesn't seem to have a role at this point.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I'll say again that typically #14 or #15 on the depth chart does nothing to help the team now. Those guys are typically prospects and/or players desperate for a break, hoping to get a shot at PT if they work hard and hang around long enough. These guys rarely dress for games and rarely enter games period. If they can get Adam Morrison for one of these roles and let him play here in practice for a year maybe it will be found that 13 people who voted no to the idea of bringing him in were absolutely wrong in doing so. In the worst case scenario in an emergency Adam Morrison ain't a bad players to have to go to, to suit up and still not play in the darn game.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                I'll say again that typically #14 or #15 on the depth chart does nothing to help the team now. Those guys are typically prospects and/or players desperate for a break, hoping to get a shot at PT if they work hard and hang around long enough. These guys rarely dress for games and rarely enter games period. If they can get Adam Morrison for one of these roles and let him play here in practice for a year maybe it will be found that 13 people who voted no to the idea of bringing him in were absolutely wrong in doing so. In the worst case scenario in an emergency Adam Morrison ain't a bad players to have to go to, to suit up and still not play in the darn game.
                                hahaha Apollo, dont exhaust yourself. Seems like you and me are the only ones on the same page here. Clearly almost everybody thinks roster spot = tier 1 player, regardless if its a starter or 15th man. the player has to be a 20-30minute man in everybody's eyes.

Comment

Working...
                                X