Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Grizz May Have Some Interest In Calderon and Turk

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Grizz May Have Some Interest In Calderon and Turk

    There are no indications that the Grizzlies are involved in talks with the Toronto Raptors even as that Eastern Conference team prepares to overhaul its roster.

    Forward Chris Bosh apparently is ready to depart via free agency. Hedo Turkoglu publicly stating his desire to be traded. So the Raptors reportedly have indicated a willingness to listen to offers for Turkoglu and guards Jose Calderon and Jarrett Jack.

    While the Grizzlies have not engaged the Raptors there is some organizational interest in Turkoglu and Calderon.
    However, both players' long-term contracts starting at $9 million apiece might calm any Memphis desires.
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ans-a-mystery/

    Gay is a restricted free agent who could command about what Calderon and Turk are making.

    I would go for Turk for Gay.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rudy gay will be demanded much more than Calderon/Turk are making. The bare minimum I see him signing for is 12 mil, but 14 mil is more likely with all the cap space floating around.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Morel like 18. If the knicks strike out on Bron, Wade and Bosh they are going to offer near max deals to Booz, Amare and Gay. I really like Gay, he killed at the US tryouts last year and if he can get on the 2012 team, it will help his career exponentially. I think the Griz are going to be surprised by how much it is going to cost to retain him.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Rudy gay will be demanded much more than Calderon/Turk are making. The bare minimum I see him signing for is 12 mil, but 14 mil is more likely with all the cap space floating around.
    Its quite clear that you don't know how to structure a S&T contract.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mo-sales wrote: View Post
    Morel like 18. If the knicks strike out on Bron, Wade and Bosh they are going to offer near max deals to Booz, Amare and Gay. I really like Gay, he killed at the US tryouts last year and if he can get on the 2012 team, it will help his career exponentially. I think the Griz are going to be surprised by how much it is going to cost to retain him.
    Double or nothing on that pizza that Gay doesn't get an $18 million contract for 2010-11. This time you will have to pay my friend.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This would be a good move for the Grizz as Gay might bolt anyways. From a Raps standpoint, this would be unbelievable!

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gay can't get $18 million because it's more than the max. Gay will be going into his 5th year, which means he can get a maximum of 25% of the salary cap. Assuming that's $56.1 million, then Gay can get $14.025 million in his first season.

    Last season rumours had gay asking for 5 years $50 million as an extension. Now that he's a restricted FA, and there being plenty of teams with cap space, it's easy to see him making even more money. Especially after the Grizzlies' "strong" record (given that they play in the West).

    "Its quite clear that you don't know how to structure a S&T contract."

    Why on earth would Rudy Gay take less than what the Knicks/Nets would likely offer (12-14 million) to sign and trade to the Raptors?

  8. #8
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,370
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ans-a-mystery/

    Gay is a restricted free agent who could command about what Calderon and Turk are making.

    I would go for Turk for Gay.
    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Rudy gay will be demanded much more than Calderon/Turk are making. The bare minimum I see him signing for is 12 mil, but 14 mil is more likely with all the cap space floating around.
    I personally think he's going to be shooting for something like Bosh's current contract extension, just a little longer. He may not get it but if the Raptors were willing to pay it or a little less and the Grizz wanted no part of it does anyone think they would more strongly consider Hedo and Calderon, this time via a Rudy Gay S&T? I think landing Gay in this sort of deal would be a coup even if they "overpay" a little.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Overpay overshmay for Gay! Get him here to play without delay! Turk & Calderon in a sign & trade? Sounds good to me okay. It works out, in a way, in that positions they play make the trade nega(te) the loss. Though Turk & Calderon are the only ones that make our plays, surely Gay could arrive to save the day - in his own way? Surely he may. To the All-Star game for Bosh and Gay. Up up and away!

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    990
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    Overpay overshmay for Gay! Get him here to play without delay! Turk & Calderon in a sign & trade? Sounds good to me okay.
    Of course it sounds good to you. We're trading one/two over-priced contracts for one over-priced contract. Except the one we're getting can produce about 18 points and 6 rebounds per game and play defense. If the Grizzlies are looking to S&T Gay, it won't be for our crap.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Actually, I don't really see this happening, as from what I understand from all the rumour, conjecture and innuendo that's been floating around there's some kind of draft-day trade in the works or something like that? Given that FA negotiations can't take place until much later, I doubt Turk and/or Calderon will be around by then to make such a S&T possible.

    Might be more feasible with Jack instead of Calderon though.
    Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Fri Jun 18th, 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Better.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie sunndog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!! In what league is Rudy Gay making over 10 mil a season? The guy is worth 8 MAX!!! not to mention the fact that the lockout next year is going to cut salaries and contract length. I think this thread is severely overvaluing a player who was good, don't get me wrong, but on a bad team surrounded by young talent and very few stars. Anybody who's followed Gay knows that he is terribly inconsistent in all aspects of his game.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sunndog wrote: View Post
    YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!! In what league is Rudy Gay making over 10 mil a season? The guy is worth 8 MAX!!!.
    So what??!! Hedo signed for 10 mill and he is worth 5!

  14. #14
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like Rudy, but he hasn't really improved much in the last three years. He's turned into a guy putting up decent numbers on a pretty bad team. From what I read on the Memphis blog, his defense isn't great either. On the plus side, he never gets injured and can score, leaving defense aside, it's almost like he's what we want DeRozan to eventually become. I think.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sunndog wrote: View Post
    YOU GUYS ARE NUTS!!! In what league is Rudy Gay making over 10 mil a season? The guy is worth 8 MAX!!! not to mention the fact that the lockout next year is going to cut salaries and contract length. I think this thread is severely overvaluing a player who was good, don't get me wrong, but on a bad team surrounded by young talent and very few stars. Anybody who's followed Gay knows that he is terribly inconsistent in all aspects of his game.
    Gay is a 23 year old, extremely athletic 6'9 small forward who averaged 19.6 ppg and 5.7 rpg and has All-Star potential. $8 million is about the price the average starter in the NBA makes. Bargnani makes $10 million a year, as does Turkoglu. LaMarcus Aldridge, who was drafted the same year and is around the same talent level, will make $10.7 million next season and his contract goes up to $15.2 million in five years.

    If your argument is that players are vastly overpaid today, then I agree. If your argument is that Rudy Gay is not worth the same, or more, as Bargnani, Turkoglu and Aldridge, then you might be the one who is nuts.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie sunndog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Gay is a 23 year old, extremely athletic 6'9 small forward who averaged 19.6 ppg and 5.7 rpg and has All-Star potential. $8 million is about the price the average starter in the NBA makes. Bargnani makes $10 million a year, as does Turkoglu. LaMarcus Aldridge, who was drafted the same year and is around the same talent level, will make $10.7 million next season and his contract goes up to $15.2 million in five years.

    If your argument is that players are vastly overpaid today, then I agree. If your argument is that Rudy Gay is not worth the same, or more, as Bargnani, Turkoglu and Aldridge, then you might be the one who is nuts.

    Sorry, maybe nuts is the wrong word to use. I disagree though. Gay is playing on a bad team in the Grizz and if he's a potential all-star, then his numbers should have reflected that. I've followed Rudy's career for the most part (largely due to fantasy leagues) and I've seen the inconsistency he's had since he entered the league. I think you're giving him too much credit. Consider that the Grizzlies aren't even sold on him enough to have offered him an extension yet.
    In terms of the pay scale, I think Hedo and Aldridge have both earned their pay a bit more. Hedo had a bad season this year, but don't forget everything he did in the past that earned him that contract.
    Aldridge has been the starting 4 on a perennial playoff team since he entered the league and he's put up better and more consistent numbers than Gay.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Rookie philwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What is everything that Hedo did in the past to earn that contract?

    He has one very good, and one good season, in his entire 10 year career. What did he do? 20% of his career has been good, and this past season was just around his career averages. What did he do to earn $10m/yr?
    It's about money

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •