Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: Possible Draft Day Trade With Blazers Involving 13th Pick

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Possible Draft Day Trade With Blazers Involving 13th Pick

    Update (6:04PM):

    Chad Ford writes...

    ----------------------
    The Raptors have had serious talks today with the Portland Trail Blazers about a deal that would send the 22nd pick and Rudy Fernandez to Toronto for the 13th pick. The Blazers have been very aggressive about getting up into the lottery, but have been reluctant to part with both Fernandez and the 22nd pick to do it.
    ----------------------

    -- Ben Golliver | [email protected] | Twitter
    http://www.blazersedge.com/2010/6/23...rs-knicks-rudy
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not bad if they get Alabi at 22

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Not bad if they get Alabi at 22
    Fernandez will make only $1.2 million next season which is pretty cheap. His contract has a team option for 2011-12.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie BomKeyzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    While Colangelo's insane affection for european players gets the local fan base excited about watching their countrymen, it will soon be the demise of the Toronto Raptors. One or two europeans is a good mix anything more and you're just a borderline NBA team. Good for international revenue.... BAD for wins. This is the NBA... we need NBA players!!!!

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,678
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you play in the NBA you are an NBA player.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rudy Fernandez is an NBA player and he is very good. Only issue I see is we have way to many wings right now and I don't know where he would play otherwise that's not a bad deal.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think that this trade would be about Fernandez. The difference in salary between a #13 and a #22 over their first three years in the league is about $2 million. So If BC thinks he can get the player he wants at #22 why spend the extra millions to draft him at #13.

    Ferandez could replace Belinelli and save the Raptors another $1 million plus in 2010-11 if Fernandez replaced Belinelli.

    So right there the Raptors pick up about $1.6 million in more cap space in 2010-11 if they can say unload Belinelli for a future draft pick.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Wed Jun 23rd, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  8. #8
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,049
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Doing this would be a safe play for the Raptors. I like it.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter AJ360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brrrrrrrrrrrie
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd still rather keep the 13th pick and try and snag a late first-rounder.

    Bradley and Ebanks are what Im hoping for.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think there will still be a lot of quality guys available at 22. I think we are going to see a few Renaldo Balkmans this year. Everyone wants to find the hidden gem of this draft.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    162
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why do we need another Hedon't? Rudy had some issues at Portland...
    and Raps are not good at all in dealing with players who have issues...

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wouldn't do it. We don't need any more European players. We are rebuilding essentially this summer. We need that draft pick.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter cornbreadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Bradley could be available at 22, so this is a good deal for the raps

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I`m afraid to say that Rudy is already 25 years old and not a good defender and his shooting percentage last year was 37.8. Just not sure if we need another European player of that style.

    Would rather keep the 13th to see who drops.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie bigmanshaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    68
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If history has taught us anything is always do the opposite of them Blazer crews on draft nights.
    Allow me to elaborate, if Blazers come to Raps with a trade purposal for our 13th, instead of trading it, keep it. why ? Think back a few years ago when Portland flipped Tyrus thomas into Lamarcus Aldrige, then flipped Randy Foye to Brandon Roy. You know the bulls/t-wolves are begging for a redo on that one.
    I think its 12 month later,they found a way to turn Darell Arthur into Nicholas Batum. Not the best example, but still a good find by Pritchard, Batum is a starter and arthur isn't.

    Them Blazer front office have a history of being able to find talent, and if they want our 13th pick, you know they see some good value there, so lets not be the 2010 version of the 06' Bulls/ T-wolves.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BomKeyzi wrote: View Post
    While Colangelo's insane affection for european players gets the local fan base excited about watching their countrymen, it will soon be the demise of the Toronto Raptors. One or two europeans is a good mix anything more and you're just a borderline NBA team. Good for international revenue.... BAD for wins. This is the NBA... we need NBA players!!!!
    Good to know where to draw the line.

    Guess that's why Portland lost in the playoffs last year after a 54-28 record. They had 1 more than the maximum (Batum, Fernandez, Rodriguez). Probably wasn't smart to taunt the NBA gods either when they made Omer Asik a 2nd round pick earlier that year.

    But no team had more gall than the Spurs. In 2006-2007, they had 3 Euros in Parker, Elson and Udrih. They also drafted another Euro in Markota. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had two pseudo-Euros in Oberto and Ginobili.

    They knew they had it coming after winning the Championship that year, though. You can fool the NBA gods once, but not twice. Tiago Splitter was the harbinger of their doom, messenger sent from above to waste the Spur's first round pick. After they drafted Printezis, they quickly ditched him onto the ever-willing Raptors, the only team unaware of the Euro curse, to appease the NBA gods.

    Still, it was not enough, so they rid the team of Udrih, cut Elson's minutes in favor of the fake Euro, Oberto, and signed Mahinmi only to stash him in the D-League to stunt his progress. Then the Spurs came up with a bright idea. Why aimlessly bow to the will of the NBA gods when they could inflict their wrath on another team? They proceeded to draft another Euro using the pick they received from Toronto, and immediately traded him to their rival, the Suns, while laughing deviously all the way.

    Sadly, their plan backfired on them as the NBA gods grew impatient with the Spurs insistence on playing Parker. That they tried to play Mahinmi again after a whole season's absence did not escape the NBA gods' notice. "South Americans count as Europeans," they boomed ominously over Spurs management. "Two and one are still three, and the rule is one or two, not three, and certainly not five. Now it is time for your team to learn." The next day, Dragic, the weapon the Spurs intended to use on the Suns, ousted the Spurs from the playoffs.

    Little known, but true.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
    If history has taught us anything is always do the opposite of them Blazer crews on draft nights.
    Allow me to elaborate, if Blazers come to Raps with a trade purposal for our 13th, instead of trading it, keep it. why ? Think back a few years ago when Portland flipped Tyrus thomas into Lamarcus Aldrige, then flipped Randy Foye to Brandon Roy. You know the bulls/t-wolves are begging for a redo on that one.
    I think its 12 month later,they found a way to turn Darell Arthur into Nicholas Batum. Not the best example, but still a good find by Pritchard, Batum is a starter and arthur isn't.

    Them Blazer front office have a history of being able to find talent, and if they want our 13th pick, you know they see some good value there, so lets not be the 2010 version of the 06' Bulls/ T-wolves.
    Nice point, but maybe this year will be the opposite, what with Pritchard and ownership at odds. Maybe Pritchard wants to send a parting shot across the bow of the Blazers franchise before he leaves.

    BTW:

    Fernandez - http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-fernandez
    Belinelli - http://www.nbadraft.net/players/marco-belinelli

    I think Spanish and French Euros are fine. It's the Italian and Turkish ones we need to stay away from (sarcasm). And his problems with the Blazers stemmed from lack of playing time. Was hard for him to get off the bench with Webster, Roy, Batum, Outlaw and others all effectively ahead of him in the rotation. IMO, a much better player than Belinelli, and someone we could afford to have come off the bench to inject instant offense, provided we shore up our defense at the same time.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie Raptors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    horrible trade... I seriously don't want to see any more europeans -_-

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great to know but no team has won with a star core of europeans. Also, black Europeans don`t count. Its those feeble white dudes that suck.

    Even players like Nash and Nowitzki haven`t been able to deliver.


    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Good to know where to draw the line.

    Guess that's why Portland lost in the playoffs last year after a 54-28 record. They had 1 more than the maximum (Batum, Fernandez, Rodriguez). Probably wasn't smart to taunt the NBA gods either when they made Omer Asik a 2nd round pick earlier that year.

    But no team had more gall than the Spurs. In 2006-2007, they had 3 Euros in Parker, Elson and Udrih. They also drafted another Euro in Markota. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had two pseudo-Euros in Oberto and Ginobili.

    They knew they had it coming after winning the Championship that year, though. You can fool the NBA gods once, but not twice. Tiago Splitter was the harbinger of their doom, messenger sent from above to waste the Spur's first round pick. After they drafted Printezis, they quickly ditched him onto the ever-willing Raptors, the only team unaware of the Euro curse, to appease the NBA gods.

    Still, it was not enough, so they rid the team of Udrih, cut Elson's minutes in favor of the fake Euro, Oberto, and signed Mahinmi only to stash him in the D-League to stunt his progress. Then the Spurs came up with a bright idea. Why aimlessly bow to the will of the NBA gods when they could inflict their wrath on another team? They proceeded to draft another Euro using the pick they received from Toronto, and immediately traded him to their rival, the Suns, while laughing deviously all the way.

    Sadly, their plan backfired on them as the NBA gods grew impatient with the Spurs insistence on playing Parker. That they tried to play Mahinmi again after a whole season's absence did not escape the NBA gods' notice. "South Americans count as Europeans," they boomed ominously over Spurs management. "Two and one are still three, and the rule is one or two, not three, and certainly not five. Now it is time for your team to learn." The next day, Dragic, the weapon the Spurs intended to use on the Suns, ousted the Spurs from the playoffs.

    Little known, but true.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Rookie chiddyy33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    id rather have the 13th pick....not a big fan of rudy and to many europas in toronto alreadyy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •