Possible Draft Day Trade With Blazers Involving 13th Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Come on people how much better Rudy is then Marco?! they both have the same potential to be better then they are but they both regressed last season and lost their jobs to more consistent players.
    If the Raptors do this trade and then trade Belinelli for a future pick it will free up $1.6 million in 2010-11 which can then be invested in this forum and Raptors.com
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
      Nash isn't European. If you include him, you might as well include Duncan. Oh wait, I forgot the NBA gods in my story had big Dr. J afros. Woulda been a lot easier had y'all just referred to the movie title, "White Men Can't Jump," or just said "no team has won with a star core of white Europeans." Batum and Pietrus, you've been cleared! LOL

I wonder what it says about guys like Mikan, Malone, Wilkins or Isiah Thomas, or West, Baylor, Havlicek, Stockton or Barry. Yes, I separated them by skin color for your convenience. =P
      European players, as in "learned the game and/or trained in europe". No distiction of race should be brought up.

It's no mystery that the european game is much different then the NBA game. Most "euro's" in the NBA are role players, yes there are exceptions ie. Parker, Ginoboli, Pau, but they teamed up with Hall of Famers... enough said.

To build your team with 3/5 of your starting unit being "euro's" is a BAD idea, wanting to add MORE "euro's" is even worse. Our lone All star may be leaving, and Colangelo looks to bolster the roster with RUDY FERNANDEZ? All Raptors fans can vouche for the results... Losses.

When I watch the Raptors I don't want to see my countymen playing basketball, I want to see Toronto win! Unless Colangelo can land Parker, Manu, Diaw, Dirk, Gortat, Pietrus and Batum, filling the roster with europeans is not gonna get it done. This is not a race thing... It's a TALENT/ABILITY thing.

Comment

man, i hope some of *us* learn to temper our expectations of what the 13th pick in a draft that features 4 or 5 legit NBA contributors can provide. realistically, there is almost ZERO difference in terms of quality of player that will be available after the 6th or 7th picks...sure, there will be a few late lottery picks that will be clearly better than guys picked in the late 1st or 2nd round, but for the most part, the 13th pick isn't going to be any more of an impact player than the 23rd.

i do this deal in half a heartbeat...but i've always had a 'thing' for rudy, he just seems to 'get it.' portland had spent the previous few years acquiring wing depth, and he basically was getting squeezed out by guys the blazers have higher hopes for (namely, roy & batum). for the blazers, this is almost a no-brainer - if they can turn a guy who literally has NO future with them into a higher pick, then it's better than having him rot on their bench & have his stock drop further. it'd be nice if they could get a 3rd team involved that would be interested in hedo or jose, but that's pretty unlikely.

it also gives the raps a bit more flexibility in terms of including some young, cheap players (namely weems) in a package to entice teams to take on jose or hedo.
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

I would actually be very curious to see what a very good Euro league team could do in the NBA, or what a bad NBA team would do in the Euro league. I think the best Euro league team would absolutely crush the worst NBA team regardless of which rules they played by.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

dagon420 wrote: View Post
            Great to know but no team has won with a star core of europeans. Also, black Europeans don`t count. Its those feeble white dudes that suck.

Even players like Nash and Nowitzki haven`t been able to deliver.
            Can you then also elaborate on that extra muscle all humans of the negroid species (anthropological term) possess... which sets them apart from the rest ?

Re Nash & Nowitzski, you wouldnt want a list of tremendous black athletes who havent won the big one right? That would be too easy.

Comment

the race card is weak. super-weak.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Raptors trading their draft pick for Rudy Fernandez?

According to ESPN's Chad Ford,

The Raptors and Blazers are in trade talks in which the Blazers would send Fernandez to Toronto in return for the 13th overall pick in the NBA Draft as part of the package.

Comment

Some of the comments on this thread lead me to think that maybe it should be closed.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

BomKeyzi wrote: View Post
                    European players, as in "learned the game and/or trained in europe". No distiction of race should be brought up.

It's no mystery that the european game is much different then the NBA game. Most "euro's" in the NBA are role players, yes there are exceptions ie. Parker, Ginoboli, Pau, but they teamed up with Hall of Famers... enough said.

To build your team with 3/5 of your starting unit being "euro's" is a BAD idea, wanting to add MORE "euro's" is even worse. Our lone All star may be leaving, and Colangelo looks to bolster the roster with RUDY FERNANDEZ? All Raptors fans can vouche for the results... Losses.

When I watch the Raptors I don't want to see my countymen playing basketball, I want to see Toronto win! Unless Colangelo can land Parker, Manu, Diaw, Dirk, Gortat, Pietrus and Batum, filling the roster with europeans is not gonna get it done. This is not a race thing... It's a TALENT/ABILITY thing.

"This is not a race thing... It's a TALENT/ABILITY thing".

Damn right. So why bring up the nationality or racial profile at all. The player is either a good one or not...end of story. You mention a few exceptions. Do you really know anything about Fernandez's mental toughness? Why couldnt he be in the exception pile? Calderon is really a hard nosed player who just gets beat defensively but so does Bibby of Atlanta. Hmmm bad example...Bibby's skin pigmentation is a bit sketchy.

Such postings really obscure the fact/argument whether Colangelo is doing a good or bad job putting together a winning team with infantile Cherryesque arguments about players with different backgrounds to the "norm".

ps...only the cream of international players get to play in the NBA. The argument that the game is different doesn't wash too well. Such players are chosen precisely because their talent level is so high that they can surpass any deficient coaching/style. Besides, expansion in the nba has increased the need for importation or we might well have seen a much lower standard of basketball. Everyone is looking for the next big star...no matter where they come from.
                    Last edited by Bendit; Thu Jun 24, 2010, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                      Some of the comments on this thread lead me to think that maybe it should be closed.
                      Yeah, I'm feeling like this type of ignorant, discriminatory, pseudo-nationalism has gone a bit too far.
                      It's about money

Comment

bigmanshaq wrote: View Post
                        If history has taught us anything is always do the opposite of them Blazer crews on draft nights.
                        Allow me to elaborate, if Blazers come to Raps with a trade purposal for our 13th, instead of trading it, keep it. why ? Think back a few years ago when Portland flipped Tyrus thomas into Lamarcus Aldrige, then flipped Randy Foye to Brandon Roy. You know the bulls/t-wolves are begging for a redo on that one.
                        I think its 12 month later,they found a way to turn Darell Arthur into Nicholas Batum. Not the best example, but still a good find by Pritchard, Batum is a starter and arthur isn't.

Them Blazer front office have a history of being able to find talent, and if they want our 13th pick, you know they see some good value there, so lets not be the 2010 version of the 06' Bulls/ T-wolves.
                        That's funny ... the fact that Blazers have someone in mind at 13th, it doesn't mean Raptors will go for the same one; speaking of history, Raptors screwed up at 8th (picking Haffa), based on your theory what makes you think they will draft better at 13th?

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                          that's funny ... The fact that blazers have someone in mind at 13th, it doesn't mean raptors will go for the same one; speaking of history, raptors screwed up at 8th (picking haffa), based on your theory what makes you think they will draft better at 13th?
                          please do not trade this pick without trading turkoglu
                          It's about money

Comment

insight_tor wrote: View Post
                            That's funny ... the fact that Blazers have someone in mind at 13th, it doesn't mean Raptors will go for the same one; speaking of history, Raptors screwed up at 8th (picking Haffa), based on your theory what makes you think they will draft better at 13th?
                            Because Rob Babcock is a fucking idiot.

With that being said, gaining a proven commodity like Fernandez and moving down 9 spots in the draft sounds like a good idea... until you notice that we already have 3 shooting guards and one of them is very similar in style to Fernandez (Belinelli). Unless you're trading for your second Tim Duncan, roster duplication is rarely a good thing.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                              Because Rob Babcock is a fucking idiot.

With that being said, gaining a proven commodity like Fernandez and moving down 9 spots in the draft sounds like a good idea... until you notice that we already have 3 shooting guards and one of them is very similar in style to Fernandez (Belinelli). Unless you're trading for your second Tim Duncan, roster duplication is rarely a good thing.
                              is it really 'duplication?' what makes rudy's & marco's game's 'very similar,' exactly?
                              TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

What do we think of Rudy Fernandez?

From the outside, he looks like a guy who could fill the Hedo Turkoglu playmaking gap for us from the SG/SF position....

He's young, athletic, and has done very well against us in the past

So is he worth giving up our 13th pick for? Is that the only thing we'll be giving up for him?

Also, what is your impression of the guy?

Comment

Working...
                                X