Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Possible Draft Day Trade With Blazers Involving 13th Pick

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ignoring the ignorant comments, do they really need another 3rd string SG?

    I would imagine that if BC did this he would get rid of Marco. It saves the Raptors some cash and actually I like Rudy better.

    But for someone who will play 20 minutes a game is it worth dropping 9 spots in this draft? At that point (#13) you're just hoping for a rotation player anyway and the pickings will be slimmer at #22.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Paul George and Ed Davis are both gone by 13, I'd be all for trading down. Fernandez is much better than he showed last season and would most likely be a better player than anyone else drafted at that spot. Plus, I don't know if there's really going to be much difference between the 13th and 22nd pick, quite frankly.

    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Good to know where to draw the line.

    Guess that's why Portland lost in the playoffs last year after a 54-28 record. They had 1 more than the maximum (Batum, Fernandez, Rodriguez). Probably wasn't smart to taunt the NBA gods either when they made Omer Asik a 2nd round pick earlier that year.

    But no team had more gall than the Spurs. In 2006-2007, they had 3 Euros in Parker, Elson and Udrih. They also drafted another Euro in Markota. As if that wasn't bad enough, they had two pseudo-Euros in Oberto and Ginobili.

    They knew they had it coming after winning the Championship that year, though. You can fool the NBA gods once, but not twice. Tiago Splitter was the harbinger of their doom, messenger sent from above to waste the Spur's first round pick. After they drafted Printezis, they quickly ditched him onto the ever-willing Raptors, the only team unaware of the Euro curse, to appease the NBA gods.

    Still, it was not enough, so they rid the team of Udrih, cut Elson's minutes in favor of the fake Euro, Oberto, and signed Mahinmi only to stash him in the D-League to stunt his progress. Then the Spurs came up with a bright idea. Why aimlessly bow to the will of the NBA gods when they could inflict their wrath on another team? They proceeded to draft another Euro using the pick they received from Toronto, and immediately traded him to their rival, the Suns, while laughing deviously all the way.

    Sadly, their plan backfired on them as the NBA gods grew impatient with the Spurs insistence on playing Parker. That they tried to play Mahinmi again after a whole season's absence did not escape the NBA gods' notice. "South Americans count as Europeans," they boomed ominously over Spurs management. "Two and one are still three, and the rule is one or two, not three, and certainly not five. Now it is time for your team to learn." The next day, Dragic, the weapon the Spurs intended to use on the Suns, ousted the Spurs from the playoffs.

    Little known, but true.
    Nice!

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    936
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If they do trade down (and I'd rather they didn't unless Alridch, George, and Henry are all gone), I wouldn't be surprised if it's to take Ebanks. i still think he'd be a great fit on the Raps.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote dagon420 wrote: View Post
    Great to know but no team has won with a star core of europeans. Also, black Europeans don`t count. Its those feeble white dudes that suck.

    Even players like Nash and Nowitzki haven`t been able to deliver.
    Nash isn't European. If you include him, you might as well include Duncan. Oh wait, I forgot the NBA gods in my story had big Dr. J afros. Woulda been a lot easier had y'all just referred to the movie title, "White Men Can't Jump," or just said "no team has won with a star core of white Europeans." Batum and Pietrus, you've been cleared! LOL

    I wonder what it says about guys like Mikan, Malone, Wilkins or Isiah Thomas, or West, Baylor, Havlicek, Stockton or Barry. Yes, I separated them by skin color for your convenience. =P
    Last edited by Quixotic; Thu Jun 24th, 2010 at 01:53 AM.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Ignoring the ignorant comments, do they really need another 3rd string SG?

    I would imagine that if BC did this he would get rid of Marco. It saves the Raptors some cash and actually I like Rudy better.

    But for someone who will play 20 minutes a game is it worth dropping 9 spots in this draft? At that point (#13) you're just hoping for a rotation player anyway and the pickings will be slimmer at #22.
    Honestly, if they went for Fernandez, it should be as the main backup wing. Not that I'm omniscient here, but I feel he'd be an immediate upgrade over all of our wings. If he was 6 years younger and drafted with our 9th overall, he probably would have done a pretty decent job starting for us. I might be reaching here but I think he would have been better than DeRozan. Also, if he was one of the potential draftees tomorrow (again adjusting his age back again), he could very well be a 10 through 18 pick.

    That said, I don't actually hope this trade comes to fruition. If it was the 13th pick for Rudy and the 18th, maybe 19th, I'd feel a lot better about it. I know Tim likes the 22nd as well as the 13th, but I think the 22nd is a bit too far down that we better be hoping to draft one of Bledsoe, Ebanks, Sanders, Alabi or Robinson. Or we could hope Damion James or Bradley falls to us. If we want one of George, Henry, Whiteside or Aldrich, 22nd is way too late. Just my two cents.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Once again if we do this trade we are settling for mediocrity. Come on Rudy is not going to change us to a better team and the 22 pick isn't going to net a player of much value. We should have bought the Rudy pick that year and drafted him but we didn't and now the Blazers are dangling him because their scouts are confident in selecting a good player around our pick.

    I rather for the Raptors to go with the high pick and swing for the fences. If our scouts can't find that diamond in the rough at the pick number 13 then its time for them to find another job!

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Once again if we do this trade we are settling for mediocrity. Come on Rudy is not going to change us to a better team and the 22 pick isn't going to net a player of much value. We should have bought the Rudy pick that year and drafted him but we didn't and now the Blazers are dangling him because their scouts are confident in selecting a good player around our pick.

    I rather for the Raptors to go with the high pick and swing for the fences. If our scouts can't find that diamond in the rough at the pick number 13 then its time for them to find another job!
    Hey, I'm just as for trading the 13th overall for Chris Paul (or even LBJ) as the next Raptors fan, but you have to start somewhere. And no, I think you can certainly try to find that diamond in the rough, but it doesn't mean you will. If it was a one person sandbox, fine, you can just pick whomever you want, but if the other 29 organizations are doing their jobs just as well as you are, then you're working against each other. Your diamond in the rough just became the surprise 12th overall pick because someone else had an earlier pick or because you tried to grab him later on in the draft. Hence all the disinformation.

    Also, you can watch all the NCAA games you want or conduct all the workouts you want, but in the end, you or some other team will still make an Adam Morrison or Luke Jackson-sized mistake. Part of it is the player not projecting as well as you thought he would, and the other is the lack of an actual real-life 5v5 workout with an actual NBA team. It's clear why player agents try to limit access to their clients if they already have a good NCAA resume.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Rookie ScottBaird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    179
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote AJ360 wrote: View Post
    I'd still rather keep the 13th pick and try and snag a late first-rounder.

    Bradley and Ebanks are what Im hoping for.
    Yes. I have no prejudice against euros, but don't we have a lot of them already? Are they working out?

    Scott.
    Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,195
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Come on people how much better Rudy is then Marco?! they both have the same potential to be better then they are but they both regressed last season and lost their jobs to more consistent players.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Rookie Raptors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ^ Exactly... keep the draft pick and rebuild. I say trade Hedo and Calderon for picks as well.
    This is a deep draft and we can be the next Thunder except replace durant with ellis lol.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Come on people how much better Rudy is then Marco?! they both have the same potential to be better then they are but they both regressed last season and lost their jobs to more consistent players.
    If the Raptors do this trade and then trade Belinelli for a future pick it will free up $1.6 million in 2010-11 which can then be invested in this forum and Raptors.com
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Rookie BomKeyzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Nash isn't European. If you include him, you might as well include Duncan. Oh wait, I forgot the NBA gods in my story had big Dr. J afros. Woulda been a lot easier had y'all just referred to the movie title, "White Men Can't Jump," or just said "no team has won with a star core of white Europeans." Batum and Pietrus, you've been cleared! LOL

    I wonder what it says about guys like Mikan, Malone, Wilkins or Isiah Thomas, or West, Baylor, Havlicek, Stockton or Barry. Yes, I separated them by skin color for your convenience. =P
    European players, as in "learned the game and/or trained in europe". No distiction of race should be brought up.

    It's no mystery that the european game is much different then the NBA game. Most "euro's" in the NBA are role players, yes there are exceptions ie. Parker, Ginoboli, Pau, but they teamed up with Hall of Famers... enough said.

    To build your team with 3/5 of your starting unit being "euro's" is a BAD idea, wanting to add MORE "euro's" is even worse. Our lone All star may be leaving, and Colangelo looks to bolster the roster with RUDY FERNANDEZ? All Raptors fans can vouche for the results... Losses.

    When I watch the Raptors I don't want to see my countymen playing basketball, I want to see Toronto win! Unless Colangelo can land Parker, Manu, Diaw, Dirk, Gortat, Pietrus and Batum, filling the roster with europeans is not gonna get it done. This is not a race thing... It's a TALENT/ABILITY thing.

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    man, i hope some of *us* learn to temper our expectations of what the 13th pick in a draft that features 4 or 5 legit NBA contributors can provide. realistically, there is almost ZERO difference in terms of quality of player that will be available after the 6th or 7th picks...sure, there will be a few late lottery picks that will be clearly better than guys picked in the late 1st or 2nd round, but for the most part, the 13th pick isn't going to be any more of an impact player than the 23rd.

    i do this deal in half a heartbeat...but i've always had a 'thing' for rudy, he just seems to 'get it.' portland had spent the previous few years acquiring wing depth, and he basically was getting squeezed out by guys the blazers have higher hopes for (namely, roy & batum). for the blazers, this is almost a no-brainer - if they can turn a guy who literally has NO future with them into a higher pick, then it's better than having him rot on their bench & have his stock drop further. it'd be nice if they could get a 3rd team involved that would be interested in hedo or jose, but that's pretty unlikely.

    it also gives the raps a bit more flexibility in terms of including some young, cheap players (namely weems) in a package to entice teams to take on jose or hedo.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would actually be very curious to see what a very good Euro league team could do in the NBA, or what a bad NBA team would do in the Euro league. I think the best Euro league team would absolutely crush the worst NBA team regardless of which rules they played by.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote dagon420 wrote: View Post
    Great to know but no team has won with a star core of europeans. Also, black Europeans don`t count. Its those feeble white dudes that suck.

    Even players like Nash and Nowitzki haven`t been able to deliver.
    Can you then also elaborate on that extra muscle all humans of the negroid species (anthropological term) possess... which sets them apart from the rest ?

    Re Nash & Nowitzski, you wouldnt want a list of tremendous black athletes who havent won the big one right? That would be too easy.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the race card is weak. super-weak.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    59
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raptors trading their draft pick for Rudy Fernandez?

    According to ESPN's Chad Ford,

    The Raptors and Blazers are in trade talks in which the Blazers would send Fernandez to Toronto in return for the 13th overall pick in the NBA Draft as part of the package.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Some of the comments on this thread lead me to think that maybe it should be closed.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BomKeyzi wrote: View Post
    European players, as in "learned the game and/or trained in europe". No distiction of race should be brought up.

    It's no mystery that the european game is much different then the NBA game. Most "euro's" in the NBA are role players, yes there are exceptions ie. Parker, Ginoboli, Pau, but they teamed up with Hall of Famers... enough said.

    To build your team with 3/5 of your starting unit being "euro's" is a BAD idea, wanting to add MORE "euro's" is even worse. Our lone All star may be leaving, and Colangelo looks to bolster the roster with RUDY FERNANDEZ? All Raptors fans can vouche for the results... Losses.

    When I watch the Raptors I don't want to see my countymen playing basketball, I want to see Toronto win! Unless Colangelo can land Parker, Manu, Diaw, Dirk, Gortat, Pietrus and Batum, filling the roster with europeans is not gonna get it done. This is not a race thing... It's a TALENT/ABILITY thing.

    "This is not a race thing... It's a TALENT/ABILITY thing".

    Damn right. So why bring up the nationality or racial profile at all. The player is either a good one or not...end of story. You mention a few exceptions. Do you really know anything about Fernandez's mental toughness? Why couldnt he be in the exception pile? Calderon is really a hard nosed player who just gets beat defensively but so does Bibby of Atlanta. Hmmm bad example...Bibby's skin pigmentation is a bit sketchy.

    Such postings really obscure the fact/argument whether Colangelo is doing a good or bad job putting together a winning team with infantile Cherryesque arguments about players with different backgrounds to the "norm".

    ps...only the cream of international players get to play in the NBA. The argument that the game is different doesn't wash too well. Such players are chosen precisely because their talent level is so high that they can surpass any deficient coaching/style. Besides, expansion in the nba has increased the need for importation or we might well have seen a much lower standard of basketball. Everyone is looking for the next big star...no matter where they come from.
    Last edited by Bendit; Thu Jun 24th, 2010 at 10:28 AM.

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Rookie philwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    Some of the comments on this thread lead me to think that maybe it should be closed.
    Yeah, I'm feeling like this type of ignorant, discriminatory, pseudo-nationalism has gone a bit too far.
    It's about money

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •