Regarding Davis: "He's not going anywhere."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding Davis: "He's not going anywhere."

This via a very close source to Doug. So for those that think Davis is being dealt, think again.

The Raptors have stuck to their script and taken the player they deemed best at any position when they drafted Ed Davis with the 13th pick in Thursday's NBA draft.

The word on the 6-10 North Carolina power forward is long, athletic rebounder; coming off wrist injury but the Raptors aren't worried about that

Looks like a solid if unspectacular pick who was projected to go quite higher than No. 13.

Son of Terry Davis, who played 10 years in the NBA. Said his favourite player is Chris Bosh, too bad he was drafted to replace him.

We'll be back with more later on.

Well, here's the more:

The word I got from someone who I trust when I asked whether Davis was picked to be traded was:

"He's not going anywhere."

The interesting thing is the Raptors did not have him in for a workout; they asked but he thought he'd be gone by No. 13 and didn't accept the invitation. Toronto did interview him and see him work out at the Chicago pre-draft camp.
    Source - Click here

They should keep him for sure. Very high upside and might be the best PF in this draft in terms of potential. I'm still shocked he dropped to us.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

terry davis was one tough dude. We got lucky on this one

Comment

I really like this pick but I think he's going to need some work before he starts making GM's regret passing on him. He's has a very easy going attitude so I hope he can take some of that disappointment and channel it towards proving other GM's wrong.

Comment

Didnt Smith say yesterday that his real close sources narrowed the choices down to 4...and of course Davis wasnt one of them?

Comment

From DeMar's twitter page:

DeMar_DeRozan "We made a trade??"
            6 minutes ago via Echofon

THEN:

DeMar_DeRozan "Keep me posted ppl..."
            3 minutes ago via Echofon
            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

GameBreaker wrote: View Post
              From DeMar's twitter page:

DeMar_DeRozan "We made a trade??"
              6 minutes ago via Echofon

THEN:

DeMar_DeRozan "Keep me posted ppl..."
              3 minutes ago via Echofon
              Chad Ford is saying the Raptors are getting Solomon Alabi from the Mavs

Comment

Raptomist wrote: View Post
                Chad Ford is saying the Raptors are getting Solomon Alabi from the Mavs
                Doug Smith just confirmed it

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Didnt Smith say yesterday that his real close sources narrowed the choices down to 4...and of course Davis wasnt one of them?
                  That's because no one expected Davis to slip that far down. If he did it like that the Raptor's list would have including the likes of John Wall and Evan Turner...

Comment

Any time you get a top 10 talent slipped to you at 13, you pick him up and then go buy a lottery ticket.
                    I know RR wanted Udoh, but isn't Davis similar to Udoh but with more offensive talent? If so, I think we did pretty well at the draft tonight. I haven't even mentioning Alabi yet.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
                      That's because no one expected Davis to slip that far down. If he did it like that the Raptor's list would have including the likes of John Wall and Evan Turner...
                      Yup, Davis turned down the Raptors' invitation for a workout because it seemed clear he'd go to one of Golden State, Detroit, Los Angeles, Utah, or Indiana, after being a top 5 prospect before injury cut short his season. You wouldn't really be narrowing the list if you started including every single player above where you're picking, lol.

Kennay wrote: View Post
                      I know RR wanted Udoh, but isn't Davis similar to Udoh but with more offensive talent? If so, I think we did pretty well at the draft tonight. I haven't even mentioning Alabi yet.
                      As for the Udoh-Davis comparison, they're both raw, and while Davis was more polished and efficient (Udoh was pretty inefficient), Udoh has more range on his shot (he has 3-point range, while Davis was pretty much stuck in the post). Per 40 mins, Davis scored more points than Favors, Patterson and Udoh. Davis also drew a lot more free throw attempts than those three. In fact, he had one of the highest FTA/FGA ratios and was far ahead of most of the competition (almost doubling Patterson, for instance). Udoh had a tiny edge on the offensive glass, but Davis was one of the best defensive rebounders at his position, while Udoh and Favors were okay but not great, and Patterson was pretty bad. Udoh was a little better in the blocks and steals department though, and it seems Udoh is a lot better passer as well. Davis has more upside than Udoh though.

Overall, if we had both Udoh and Davis to choose from, Davis seems much more the type of PF we seek -- someone who takes care of the defensive glass, is committed to defense, and has no jump-shooting game.

Comment

Working...
                      X