Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash: "The Best Athlete in Canadian History"

Agree or disagree with Grange?

Me personally, I would say Ben Johnson but Grange might actually have a point here.

But think about it: Do his fans in the United States really understand how rare and unusual his background is? There are smalltown heroes all over the United States, but even in most of those places there is an infrastructure – coaching, tradition, precedent – that can identify talent and push it upwards. In Canada a means to elevate a kid like Nash hadn’t really been invented yet. The odds of this guy making it are staggering, as evidence by the fact he’s only person in Canadian history to have had an impactful NBA career (Jamaal Magloire’s excuse-me all-star appearance, with all due respect, doesn’t quite cut it) and there’s been no threat of one really since he arrived. That may be changing and I know there’s a lot of excitement about the young kids in the pipeline, but there’s a long road before any of them are earning multiple NBA all-star selections, MVP awards and Hall of Fame consideration.

Similarly, have Canadians quite grasped how good Nash is and was? I’m not sure I did. But believe me, the next time a true freshman leads a no-name NCAA school to one of the biggest upsets in NCAA tournament history; I will pay attention. The next time a six-foot-twp point guard dominates his conference; I will pay attention; the next time he gets picked in the middle of the first round of the NBA draft, I will pay attention. The next time he lifts Canada to a seventh-place finish at the Olympic Games with a 5-2 record, I will pay attention. Not that I didn’t the first time around, but I think we all understand the context of those achievements much better now than we did before for any number of reasons.

I have no problem making an argument that Steve Nash is the best athlete in Canadian history, bar none. No one else is even close (and I say this with a full measure of respect to Gretzky, Ferguson Jenkins, Larry Walker; Mario; Clara Hughes; Mike Weir and many others). I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t go down as Canada’s athlete of the 21st century. Over time he should be to Canada what Babe Ruth or Johnny Unitas is to the United States: part of a nation’s mythical fabric; an archetype against which others are measured and compared.
    Source - Click here

Gretzky dominated and re-wrote the record books. With a full measure of respect to Steve Nash, I totally disagree with Grange.

Comment

While I understand Gretzky, Lemieux, Bobby Orr and Larry Walker being part of the conversation, Nash has to be at least top 3. I do believe, however, that Nash has more "athleticism" than the other candidates. His body control and hand-foot-eye coordination is off the charts. He's fully ambidextrous with the basketball, and is very deft at handling a soccer ball with his feet. His spacial recognition is also without peer. That, to me, is a true measure of athleticism, as just about anyone can develop strength, speed and power, but what Nash has, you can't teach, or learn. You can only develop what you have. Nash has a high ceiling in that respect and has reached it.

Comment

Come on now, you don't think Gretzky had great body control or athleticism? He had a feather touch, yet he could wire it top shelf with the best of them. You can't make the kind of plays Gretzky made without having excellent control over your body. You also obviously can't teach what he could do as no one in the league can touch his records. Nash isn't even the best player at his position all-time, not even top five, let alone all-time greatest at his sport. Nash is no doubt high on the list but Gretzky might be the greatest sports star of all-time in any sport, and no doubt one of the best athletes.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Nash is no doubt high on the list but Gretzky might be the greatest sports star of all-time in any sport, and no doubt one of the best athletes.
          Its hard to say Gretzky was the greatest without looking at, Ruth, Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Carl Lewis, Bolt, Phelps, Pele and Tiger Woods.

Comment

Come on now, you don't think Gretzky had great body control or athleticism? He had a feather touch, yet he could wire it top shelf with the best of them. You can't make the kind of plays Gretzky made without having excellent control over your body. You also obviously can't teach what he could do as no one in the league can touch his records. Nash isn't even the best player at his position all-time, not even top five, let alone all-time greatest at his sport. Nash is no doubt high on the list but Gretzky might be the greatest sports star of all-time in any sport, and no doubt one of the best athletes.
            I don't disagree with you, but I put Nash at least in Gretzky's league. In both cases (and especially Gretzky), they not only had great hand eye coordination and spacial recognition, but they were very intelligent, far more so than the opponents they played against. I just don't consider Gretzky to be an overall athlete the way Nash is (I can't see Gretz dribbling a soccer ball or launching 3s like Nash, but I can imagine Nash lacing up some skates), although Gretzky certainly had a greater impact on hockey than Nash will on basketball.

Calling Gretzky the greatest sports star of all-time in any sport is a huge stretch (my votes go to either Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods) because hockey doesn't have the international appeal or popularity of soccer or basketball, or even golf probably. Tiger Woods nearly single-handedly made golf cool. Gretzky couldn't do that for hockey outside of Canada, even though he was given (traded) to LA in his prime.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              Its hard to say Gretzky was the greatest without looking at, Ruth, Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Carl Lewis, Bolt, Phelps, Pele and Tiger Woods.
              Its a good think I did neglect doing that. Along with Wilt, Jack Nicklaus and many others

Comment

No love for my homeboy Donovan Bailey?
                Toronto's Finest

Comment

No. No love for Bailey. He ran really fast and that's great but running isn't that complicated.

Comment

No. No love for Bailey. He ran really fast and that's great but running isn't that complicated.
                    what about Justin Morneau? Its harder to hit a baseball then shoot a basketball no?!

Comment

Working...
                    X