5. Reggie Evans
    6. Marcus Banks
    7. $$$

Team Needs:
    1. Change at SF involving Hedo Turkoglu leaving Toronto
    2. An upgrade at the PG position
    3. A veteran backup center

Post Thanks / Like

I think they need a change of heart within the organization first and foremost.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What a depressing looking roster as it stands today.

My question is this, will Miami get our pick next season?! BC better continue to improve this roster because the current roster may not make it to 30 wins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote matt wrote: View Post
    I think they need a change of heart within the organization first and foremost.
    Hmmm.... May help to elaborate a little on that one.

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    My question is this, will Miami get our pick next season?! BC better continue to improve this roster because the current roster may not make it to 30 wins.
    The pick has lotto protection and so as of right now, I would say they don't get the pick.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would place a starting PG as a higher priority over the SF position.

Reasoning:

Our PG tandem aren't anything to get excited about, so why not give the ball to Turk like he wants to see what he can do with it? Trade for a shutdown defending PG who can provide an outside shot.
    If Turk gets his natural role back he should be motivated to show something. If it makes him happy, he may not want to leave... and if it doesn't, at least his trade value will go up.

It would, however, be nice if trading Bosh netted us some depth at SF.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Current Depth Chart:
    C: Andrea Bargnani, Solomon Alabi
    PF: Ed Davis, Reggie Evans*
    SF: Hedo Turkoglu
    SG: DeMar DeRozan, Sonny Weems, Marco Belinelli*
    PG: Jose Calderon, Jarrett Jack, Marcus Banks*
    *Final contract year
    Now I know more changes are to come, but looking at that depth chart right now just reek's of the New Jersey Nets from this past season.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

get bargnani out of here

Raptors Republic Rookie da_goose09's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

...3. A veteran backup center
    I disagree.. I think they need a starting center. I don't think Davis will be ready to be a full-time starter in this league, nor do I want Amir at that slot. I'd rather those two be bigs #3 and 4 in the rotation.

This "depth chart" is also leaving out any incoming players from a Bosh S&T (obviously.. we don't know who they are yet.. if anyone at all)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Now I know more changes are to come, but looking at that depth chart right now just reek's of the New Jersey Nets from this past season.
    Well, if they're as bad as the Nets then I guess Harrison Barnes would be a nice consulation prize. I think Colangelo is going to get something of value for Bosh and I feel he will move Hedo as well. Things aren't bleak. The Raptors are one of the youngest teams in the league and will be in the running for youngest depending on what happens in July. The rebuild will soon be in full effect.

Quote da_goose09 wrote: View Post
    I disagree.. I think they need a starting center. I don't think Davis will be ready to be a full-time starter in this league, nor do I want Amir at that slot. I'd rather those two be bigs #3 and 4 in the rotation.

This "depth chart" is also leaving out any incoming players from a Bosh S&T (obviously.. we don't know who they are yet.. if anyone at all)
    Based on comments by Colangelo that Buddahfan posted in another thread it sounds like Bryan is going to enter camp with a positional battle between Davis and Johnson. Drafting Davis alone signals that they're not giving up the idea of Bargnani at the 5. This is why I've said backup center is a big time need.
    Last edited by Apollo; Fri Jun 25th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade Evans, Bosh, Bell, Banks and Calderon.

Bring in a starting PG and a bench SF, ideally both with stronger defensive skills.
    Re-sign Amir.

Ultimately, it all depends on Bargs showing consistency and Turk proving his worth as a point-forward.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote geebee wrote: View Post
    Ultimately, it all depends on Bargs showing consistency and Turk proving his worth as a point-forward.
    I personally don't think keeping Hedo is even an option. Sure Colangelo said the other day that time has a way of healing wounds, but with Hedo publically demanding a trade there's nothing good that can come of this. He was a disruption and a huge disappointment for the most part last season, so you mix in a trade demand and nothing good can still come from this. If we're retooling/rebuilding then apart of that must include getting rid of Hedo. Fans will not forget nor forgive.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact is we don't have an all-star starting PG, and unless we manage to crowbar CP away we're not likely to get one. Setting up Turk as a point-forward not only gives him what he wants, it allows hime to rebuild his value as a commodity. As it is, BC has no leverage in the trade market with Turk. It's already public he wants out.

People keep talking about these potential trades for the Raps, but there's not a lot of people we have leverage with. Not Bosh and not Turk. Aside from that, all we've got is a few expiring contracts and a pair of backup point guards.

Try and get a good defensive perimeter shooter at PG.
    Let Derozan continue to develop as a slasher at SG.
    Give Turk "ball" as the natural point-forward.
    Match-up a strong defensive/rebounding big and a scoring big.

There's a starting line-up.

Back that up with Jack, Weems, a new SG, Amir and Alabi.

No, they're not going to dazzle anybody, but does anybody REALLY believe we were going to dazzle this season anyway? Let's at least try to maximize the assets we have left without simply GIVING them away.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnson will resign. If nothing else happens to the roster except Davis comes in, Bosh leaves and Johnson starts the team will better than last season, make no mistake about it.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote geebee wrote: View Post
    The fact is we don't have an all-star starting PG, and unless we manage to crowbar CP away we're not likely to get one.
    Why can't they go after New Orleans' other stud PG?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'd just have to see how the dynamic of the team would work for the team to be better by replacing Bosh on the starting line-up with Johnson.

I'm assuming you would be expecting various players to spontaneously improve their games, because Bosh certainly wasn't the biggest defensive liability on that starting roster.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Why can't they go after New Orleans' other stud PG?
    Fair enough. I didn't realize he was potentially on the market, but I suppose the right offer might draw him out. The question is do we have that offer?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets assume that Bosh and Hedo are both gone and we get some young talents and some draft picks for them.

Then we have a locker room of young guys and no LEADERS. I don't care about our needs for a talent in a specific position. This team needs a leader. A guy who can show these guys what it means to be in this league. A guy with high work ethics and a proven resume in this league. Some one who is NATURAL BORN LEADER.

I know some people will suggest Jack or AB ... But being an older player or being the best player in a team DOES NOT mean that you have to be the LEADER of the team.

We made this mistake with Bosh and tried to make a guy who does not have leadership qualities into a leader of the locker room just because he was our best player.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Team Needs:
    1. Change at SF involving Hedo Turkoglu leaving Toronto
    2. An upgrade at the PG position
    3. A veteran backup center
    Agree. As much as I believe in trading someone at their peak value, and Hedo is not at his peak value right now, if he couldn't handle the fans before coming out earlier this summer, he's definitely not going to do well with the fans hating him even more this fall. Without thinking about what the Wizards would want, I would be pretty happy if we managed to turn Turkoglu into Hinrich. Hinrich is Bradley with actual experience defending NBA guards, superior shooting ability, superior court vision, and superior playmaking skills, but without the flashy potential. I can live with that.

I don't know if we want Hinrich to start, or to split his minutes as backup at the 1 and 2 spots, but he would log a lot of minutes for sure, and would be an automatic upgrade at the point. I don't mind keeping Jack around, but I really don't see him as one of the better starting PGs in the league. Yeah, he plays a style that garners him a lot of love from TO residents, but realistically, Jack is in the bottom third of all starting PGs, and without Turkoglu it will become more apparent.

I like Bargnani, and I would love if he became a defensive stalwart (if he ever figures out help defense and defensive rebounding), but until then, it would be a dream if we acquired not a backup C, but a starting C who played immaculate defense. Okay, I'm dreaming here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

This team will pick one of the top 3 positions in the draft next year. Lets hope next year's draft has some legit star power and NOT another AB as a first overall pick

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah i actually think our pg position is pretty solid compared to other positions and i really dont see us getting a star point guard when so many teams are looking. I say we stick with this pairing for half a season and see what happens. Trade turk with bosh to chicago for deng, gibson and some picks

Thread Information