Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did The Bobcats Offer To T.Thomas Raise Amir's Asking Price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    As far as that ranking goes, it is total BS and my guess, you didn't provide a link, is not based on any numbers but just one person's opinion. Anyone can create a subjective list. That won't mean squat when it comes to contract negotiations.
    Yes, I agree it was subjective. It would be ridiculous for me to say hey, according to God's list of all NBA 2010 free agents, Amir is ~#50. All ESPN/Yahoo/NBA.com rankings are subjective. It should be obvious, lol. (and no, I don't have the link because I read it a long time ago, and what his actual ranking was is beside the point, but you are free to google it and no it was not Bleacher Report =P)

But there's also an extent to that subjectiveness. For instance, LBJ, Wade and Bosh are at the very top of the list, and so are JJ, Boozer, etc. It's subjective that these guys are better than Amir, but it's probably also true. Just as true is that people outside of TO will have a different view of him, and that is what I said. A lot of teams have someone like Amir that fans love, but I bet neither you nor I can name them.

That link you provided with his adjusted stats and what not, well, frankly means very little for the reason I already gave. The veracity of stats always depends on volume and context and in this case Amir cannot be compared to a player who simply plays more minutes in real life and not some statistical extrapolation, and you also have to take into account who he was playing against.
    Last edited by Quixotic; Sat Jun 26, 2010, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      What the highest bidder is willing to pay will be determined by among other things what T. Thomas was offered because Thomas and Johnson have similar games and similar numbers last season except in the advanced stats where Johnson was clearly superior.
      What the highest bidder is willing to pay is determined by what the second highest bidder is willing to pay. Sure they play the game in a similar way but Thomas comes with more prestige, had a great second half after being traded and besides, the market is flooded with a lot of good players this off-season. We're not talking the NFL where a player is trying to work an extension based on what someone with comparable skills makes and is willing to hold out if he doesn't get it. Teams aren't going to look at what Thomas got and then make an offer based on that. They're going to look at how much they have budgeted for the off-season and make an offer based on that. If someone beats that offer then they need to decide if they want to make a second bid. What I'm saying is that Tyrus Thomas would be a guideline to owners trying to get Amir Johnson. I think you overrate Johnson.

Comment

One more thing to consider. A lot of the teams with big time cap space are going to be not making smaller plays until the top free agents are out of play. Amir has a tough call on waiting for that to play out as opposed to accepting the offer that I'm sure Colangelo is probably going to drop at the stroke of midnight, July 1st. If Amir keeps a team waiting he might work himself out of play with that team. Players have been burned in the past by waiting too long.

Comment

Working...
        X