Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Do The Raptors Have A Deal With Amir Johnson?

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Do The Raptors Have A Deal With Amir Johnson?

    Listen to what Triano says on this mornings 590Fan interview beginning at the 7:01 mark.

    "We know that Chris Bosh is a free agent, we know that Amir Johnson was a free agent."

    http://ht.ly/17TyqN
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter cornbreadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Stern's gonna slug Triano 35k for that one

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter tonious35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Richmond Hill or Edmonton
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote cornbreadd wrote: View Post
    Stern's gonna slug Triano 35k for that one
    Well, it's for Amir Johnson, so I don't even think Stern will even notice. It's like a fart you make in a wide outside environment and the next guy who would smell it if 1km away, the fart disipates and there no smell at all. If it was for JJ, Wade, any big cheeses, then there's gonna be trouble.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter GameBreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ^^ LMAO...dude, your analogy is fuckin' funny as hell. But, point made...lol.
    The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.


    "My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
    Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
    www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
    http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
    http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, technically, isn't Amir not even a free agent, yet? The Raptors, as far as I know are allowed to talk to him because he's still under contract until June 1st. If they do have an agreement, I don't think the Triano or the Raptors did anything wrong.

    If true, it's nice to hear, though.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good ear. It could have easily been a simple mix-up of words so I think it will be over looked. Great news though if this was an indication that they have an agreement worked out.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Rookie LeeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I tried the link you posted, but couldn't find Jay's interview. Would love to listen to it. Any chance you could post the exact link that'll get me the interview? Thx.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie LeeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Whoops, didn't see that the link was already posted elsewhere. So now that I"ve listened to the interview, here's my take: he used the past tense because he was talking about "when we went into the draft..." (past tense). And then he rattled off the names of the players who were (past tense used, because he was talking about the preparations for the draft, which were in the past) free agents. He goofed grammatically by using the present tense with Bosh, then reverted to the past tense for Amir. All of that just to say, relax, he wasn't tipping his hand, Amir's still a free agent, there's no deal -- at least not on the basis of his having used the past tense. So, much ado about nothing, IMO.

  9. #9
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote tonious35 wrote: View Post
    Well, it's for Amir Johnson, so I don't even think Stern will even notice. It's like a fart you make in a wide outside environment and the next guy who would smell it if 1km away, the fart disipates and there no smell at all. If it was for JJ, Wade, any big cheeses, then there's gonna be trouble.
    ... Worst analogy ever.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Got to remember that taken by itself it might have just been a mistake. However, then you can combine this with what BC said in the post draft presser about Johnson and Davis playing together. You have this along with the fact that BC talked about it for maybe close to a minute. On top of that you have two other things.

    1. Johnson has stated that Toronto wanted to sign him and he wanted to return
    2. Johnson was just in Toronto for about a week. If he was not returning I doubt that he would have shown up.

    My guess is that they reached a deal when Johnson was just in Toronto. The league does allow a team to talk to its future free agents between when the season ends for that team and July 1st. Whether all parties actually have signed on the dotted line or not and post dated the deal, who really cares.

    When it will be announced and approved by the league office I think may be tied in with other moves that BC would like to make this summer.

    As it stands right now on July 1st Johnson I believes counts for $3.7 million toward the Raptors cap. Once the deal is approved by the league then it could change depending on how much his new contract amount in 2010-11 varies from his contract amount in 2009-10. This would then impact the Raptors team salary amount with respect to the cap and possibly signing other players, especially if Bosh walks. So if there is an increase since the Raptors hold Johnson's Bird rights they may wait to announce the deal and have it approved by the league until other deals are done.

    We will just have to see.

    Bottom line. I believe they have a deal but it wouldn't surprise me if nothing is announced immediately after July 1st.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jun 26th, 2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,266
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well you would think if a deal was done it would have been announced since teams are allowed to sign their own free agents I believe a week before the free agent deadline.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jive wrote: View Post
    Good ear. It could have easily been a simple mix-up of words so I think it will be over looked. Great news though if this was an indication that they have an agreement worked out.
    either way i'm almost certain it won't take much time to lock him up he'll prolly just look around at a couple deals to find his range make sure he gets around that from toronto and be hooked up.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LeeZ wrote: View Post
    Whoops, didn't see that the link was already posted elsewhere. So now that I"ve listened to the interview, here's my take: he used the past tense because he was talking about "when we went into the draft..." (past tense). And then he rattled off the names of the players who were (past tense used, because he was talking about the preparations for the draft, which were in the past) free agents. He goofed grammatically by using the present tense with Bosh, then reverted to the past tense for Amir. All of that just to say, relax, he wasn't tipping his hand, Amir's still a free agent, there's no deal -- at least not on the basis of his having used the past tense. So, much ado about nothing, IMO.
    Although I can see your point, the way he paused before speaking about Amir is probably why there was attention brought to his statement. It also wouldn't be the first time someone slipped up early. We all appreciate your grammatic analysis but unless you have inside sources there is no support on either side of your statement:
    "...Amir's still a free agent, there's no deal.."

    For those interested, this is the exact wording Jay used:

    "...we went into the draft, and you know, we know that chris bosh is a free agent, amir johnson was a free agent, rasho, patrick obryant....that's four bigs."

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I hope they have a deal, he is the raptors most important free agent.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Well you would think if a deal was done it would have been announced since teams are allowed to sign their own free agents I believe a week before the free agent deadline.
    I explained why it may not have been or will be announced immediately. Take it for what it is worth.

    Deals can not be announced before July ist. Free agents can not be signed this year until July 8th.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,219
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jive wrote: View Post
    Although I can see your point, the way he paused before speaking about Amir is probably why there was attention brought to his statement. It also wouldn't be the first time someone slipped up early. We all appreciate your grammatic analysis but unless you have inside sources there is no support on either side of your statement:
    "...Amir's still a free agent, there's no deal.."

    For those interested, this is the exact wording Jay used:

    "...we went into the draft, and you know, we know that chris bosh is a free agent, amir johnson was a free agent, rasho, patrick obryant....that's four bigs."
    You are wrong. Too many other things as I posted support what Triano says. cheers
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

    Memories some so sweet, indeed

    Larger Photo of the avatar



    “As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter tonious35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Richmond Hill or Edmonton
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    ... Worst analogy ever.
    As long as it gets the point across in some manner, LOL.

  18. #18
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh, I understand what you're saying.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    As it stands right now on July 1st Johnson I believes counts for $3.7 million toward the Raptors cap.
    I believe he actually counts for double that.

    Larry Bird, except when coming off rookie scale contract + Below the average salary = 200% of his previous salary

    Since $7.32 mil doesn't exceed the maximum he could earn, that's probably the cap hold.

  20. #20
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Either way, it doesn't matter because the Raptors are capped.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •