Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do The Raptors Have A Deal With Amir Johnson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do The Raptors Have A Deal With Amir Johnson?

Listen to what Triano says on this mornings 590Fan interview beginning at the 7:01 mark.

"We know that Chris Bosh is a free agent, we know that Amir Johnson was a free agent."

http://ht.ly/17TyqN
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Stern's gonna slug Triano 35k for that one

Comment

cornbreadd wrote: View Post
      Stern's gonna slug Triano 35k for that one
      Well, it's for Amir Johnson, so I don't even think Stern will even notice. It's like a fart you make in a wide outside environment and the next guy who would smell it if 1km away, the fart disipates and there no smell at all. If it was for JJ, Wade, any big cheeses, then there's gonna be trouble.

Comment

^^ LMAO...dude, your analogy is fuckin' funny as hell. But, point made...lol.
        The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
        Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
        www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
        http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
        http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

Well, technically, isn't Amir not even a free agent, yet? The Raptors, as far as I know are allowed to talk to him because he's still under contract until June 1st. If they do have an agreement, I don't think the Triano or the Raptors did anything wrong.

If true, it's nice to hear, though.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Good ear. It could have easily been a simple mix-up of words so I think it will be over looked. Great news though if this was an indication that they have an agreement worked out.

Comment

I tried the link you posted, but couldn't find Jay's interview. Would love to listen to it. Any chance you could post the exact link that'll get me the interview? Thx.

Comment

Whoops, didn't see that the link was already posted elsewhere. So now that I"ve listened to the interview, here's my take: he used the past tense because he was talking about "when we went into the draft..." (past tense). And then he rattled off the names of the players who were (past tense used, because he was talking about the preparations for the draft, which were in the past) free agents. He goofed grammatically by using the present tense with Bosh, then reverted to the past tense for Amir. All of that just to say, relax, he wasn't tipping his hand, Amir's still a free agent, there's no deal -- at least not on the basis of his having used the past tense. So, much ado about nothing, IMO.

Comment

tonious35 wrote: View Post
                  Well, it's for Amir Johnson, so I don't even think Stern will even notice. It's like a fart you make in a wide outside environment and the next guy who would smell it if 1km away, the fart disipates and there no smell at all. If it was for JJ, Wade, any big cheeses, then there's gonna be trouble.
                  ... Worst analogy ever.

Comment

Got to remember that taken by itself it might have just been a mistake. However, then you can combine this with what BC said in the post draft presser about Johnson and Davis playing together. You have this along with the fact that BC talked about it for maybe close to a minute. On top of that you have two other things.

1. Johnson has stated that Toronto wanted to sign him and he wanted to return
                    2. Johnson was just in Toronto for about a week. If he was not returning I doubt that he would have shown up.

My guess is that they reached a deal when Johnson was just in Toronto. The league does allow a team to talk to its future free agents between when the season ends for that team and July 1st. Whether all parties actually have signed on the dotted line or not and post dated the deal, who really cares.

When it will be announced and approved by the league office I think may be tied in with other moves that BC would like to make this summer.

As it stands right now on July 1st Johnson I believes counts for $3.7 million toward the Raptors cap. Once the deal is approved by the league then it could change depending on how much his new contract amount in 2010-11 varies from his contract amount in 2009-10. This would then impact the Raptors team salary amount with respect to the cap and possibly signing other players, especially if Bosh walks. So if there is an increase since the Raptors hold Johnson's Bird rights they may wait to announce the deal and have it approved by the league until other deals are done.

We will just have to see.

Bottom line. I believe they have a deal but it wouldn't surprise me if nothing is announced immediately after July 1st.
                    Last edited by Buddahfan; Sat Jun 26, 2010, 12:41 PM.
                    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Well you would think if a deal was done it would have been announced since teams are allowed to sign their own free agents I believe a week before the free agent deadline.

Comment

Jive wrote: View Post
                        Good ear. It could have easily been a simple mix-up of words so I think it will be over looked. Great news though if this was an indication that they have an agreement worked out.
                        either way i'm almost certain it won't take much time to lock him up he'll prolly just look around at a couple deals to find his range make sure he gets around that from toronto and be hooked up.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
                          Whoops, didn't see that the link was already posted elsewhere. So now that I"ve listened to the interview, here's my take: he used the past tense because he was talking about "when we went into the draft..." (past tense). And then he rattled off the names of the players who were (past tense used, because he was talking about the preparations for the draft, which were in the past) free agents. He goofed grammatically by using the present tense with Bosh, then reverted to the past tense for Amir. All of that just to say, relax, he wasn't tipping his hand, Amir's still a free agent, there's no deal -- at least not on the basis of his having used the past tense. So, much ado about nothing, IMO.
                          Although I can see your point, the way he paused before speaking about Amir is probably why there was attention brought to his statement. It also wouldn't be the first time someone slipped up early. We all appreciate your grammatic analysis but unless you have inside sources there is no support on either side of your statement:
                          "...Amir's still a free agent, there's no deal.."

For those interested, this is the exact wording Jay used:

"...we went into the draft, and you know, we know that chris bosh is a free agent, amir johnson was a free agent, rasho, patrick obryant....that's four bigs."

Comment

I hope they have a deal, he is the raptors most important free agent.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                              Well you would think if a deal was done it would have been announced since teams are allowed to sign their own free agents I believe a week before the free agent deadline.
                              I explained why it may not have been or will be announced immediately. Take it for what it is worth.

Deals can not be announced before July ist. Free agents can not be signed this year until July 8th.

Comment

Working...
                              X