4 Raptors stats to pay attention to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Raptors stats to pay attention to

Jose's assist distribution: Last year it was skewed heavily towards Bosh. He was using the high screen, not doing anything and passing it back to CB4 for a J. If he maintains his AST/TO and his assist distribution should be more or less evenly distributed between Bosh, Bargnani and Turkoglu he'll be doing an excellent job.

DeMar DeRozan field goal percentage: They say the rookie's got an excellent mid-range game. That's an exaggeration, it's more like a so-so mid-range game with room to get better. If he shoots between 45-48%, that would be great, for the pre-season he's at 38%. Spotting up hasn't been an issue for him but his accuracy off the pull-up dribble hasn't been great. Dave Hopla to the rescue.

Bargnani's PER 36 or 48 rebounding. Sometimes his rebounding numbers take a huge hit because he picks up quick fouls and goes to the bench and doesn't return till the second half or so. Last year he was 10th on the team in PER 48, hopefully he can move up to around 4 or 5.

Opposing FG percentage. Last year we were 21st in the league at 46%, this number became a little more respectable after the JO trade. This is the best indicator of team defense and we should improve this by at least 2%. Since all the focus of training camp has been D so far, I actually think once our conditioning is straightened out, we'll improve here considerably for two reasons: 1) We have better athletes on the team and 2) Triano has a defensive scheme which promises to hide our weaknesses and help efficiently. Mitchell didn't have that and hopefully Triano can get that sorted out sooner than later.

Arsenalist;131
    [B
    wrote:
    DeMar DeRozan field goal percentage:[/B] They say the rookie's got an excellent mid-range game. That's an exaggeration, it's more like a so-so mid-range game with room to get better. If he shoots between 45-48%, that would be great, for the pre-season he's at 38%. Spotting up hasn't been an issue for him but his accuracy off the pull-up dribble hasn't been great. Dave Hopla to the rescue.
    No sarcasm, just an honest question. I understand Hopla was there for 3 days, do you think he could make a substantive difference with the rookie? Or any of the guys who he tutored?

Comment

Nice points Arse, I'll reply to them individually.

Jose- With the addition of Turk and now that Bargs has found his spot on the team, I think Calderon will be more comfortable playing with players other than Bosh. He needs to maintain his AST/TO ratio if he is to be successful.

DD- Eh... so-so? Maybe a bit less. I don't really think he can keep up his mid range until he keeps his driving solid. Just keep looking for the lanes and the jumpshot will come naturally.

Bargs- Yeah, problem #1 he needs to grab some boards. He does know his role now and that'll make him more aggressive which hopefully will lead to more boards than fouls.

Opposing FG- Our D needs to tighten up. Contenders have defense.
      Onions baby, onions.

Comment

Biff wrote: View Post
        No sarcasm, just an honest question. I understand Hopla was there for 3 days, do you think he could make a substantive difference with the rookie? Or any of the guys who he tutored?
        No doubt about it. How long do you think giving shooting instruction takes? Big man camps in the summer don't last for that long but produce results. Same here, a shooting coach will analyze a guy's shot and give instructions to the player and coaches accordingly. Sometimes he might just point out that a player is using his wrists more than his legs or the left hand is guiding the ball too much etc. The players/coaches then work on them through the course of time.

Hopla's making a living as a "consultant" and it's not for nothing.

Comment

TorontoForever wrote: View Post
          Nice points Arse, I'll reply to them individually.

Jose- With the addition of Turk and now that Bargs has found his spot on the team, I think Calderon will be more comfortable playing with players other than Bosh. He needs to maintain his AST/TO ratio if he is to be successful.

DD- Eh... so-so? Maybe a bit less. I don't really think he can keep up his mid range until he keeps his driving solid. Just keep looking for the lanes and the jumpshot will come naturally.

Bargs- Yeah, problem #1 he needs to grab some boards. He does know his role now and that'll make him more aggressive which hopefully will lead to more boards than fouls.

Opposing FG- Our D needs to tighten up. Contenders have defense.
          A lot of "remains to be seen" stuff on this roster. Whatever the case, the opposing FG stat is the one that needs to improve. If we're 21st in the league again this season's over before it starts.

Comment

Agreed. Opposing Fg is probably the biggest problem but every team has its flaw. Ours is pretty big because the Raptors vs Wolves game just finished and I know its pre season but this really concerns me.
            Onions baby, onions.

Comment

I typed up a huge reply, but it took two days to send it, forums logged me out, and now its lost in cyberspace. So sad.

Comment

1) Not all the points come from Bosh anymore. There was some great ball movement last season.
                2) DD's midrange game is still one of this team's main talking points, 5 years later.
                3) Andrea. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Have fun, New York....
                4) Defense finally changed when Casey got here. And once Jose, Hedo, and Bargs were out of the starting line up.

Conclusion - things are looking up! Damm, but I'm glad it's not 2009.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

flashback
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I read this and actually shuddered thinking about Bargnani.

Comment

I read this and remembered that Bosh used to be a Raptor I was excited to watch. Now he's just an internet meme.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        1) Not all the points come from Bosh anymore. There was some great ball movement last season.
                        2) DD's midrange game is still one of this team's main talking points, 5 years later.
                        3) Andrea. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Have fun, New York....
                        4) Defense finally changed when Casey got here. And once Jose, Hedo, and Bargs were out of the starting line up.

Conclusion - things are looking up! Damm, but I'm glad it's not 2009.
                        Im suprised you were able to find this thread considering it was AWOL for 5 years. lucky you. so moving on

1. Jonas`s IQ and awareness "will he throw 5 consecutive pump fakes even though his defender is sagging off?"

2. ross and his non-existent 16ft--3pt shot http://stats.nba.com/playerShotchart...layerID=203082

3. how in the world will caboclo get minutes aside from garbage time?

4. will derozan improve his defence and 3-pt shot enough to make casey consider pushing ross into his normal position ( SG )
                        Last edited by .I Can Smell You.; Fri Aug 29, 2014, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X