Raptors Haven't Apparently Practiced Zone Defense Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Haven't Apparently Practiced Zone Defense Yet

Yikes .... Triano said in the media scrum today that they haven't played the zone defence because they haven't had time to practice it. Ugh.

Triano is still reaffirming that they have 9 new players that are still learning too.

So, the not practicing zone defence leaves me speechless because right now our defence can't get any worse. So I think it might be wise for them to actually start practicing it and utilize in game situations.

The "new guys" excuse is starting to get old and I'm wondering how much longer can Jay get a pass for using it as often as he has?

Source - Click here

Everything makes sense now. Yes, let's employ defensive schemes that we don't practice. Excellent.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Everything makes sense now. Yes, let's employ defensive schemes that we don't practice. Excellent.
      I'm obviously not saying we use it without at least practicing it, but why on earth is it not something this team has practiced period?

Comment

Another thing he said that was kind of shocking is that they won't have another full practice until Dec. 21st, so there's no chance to work on zone until then. This makes me think it may have been a good idea to devote training camp to practicing basketball instead of bowling, for example. This is starting to sound a lot like last year's batch of excuses: too many new faces/new coach, no time to practice due to a tough schedule, the players just don't trust each other/trust the system... What is the solution? Even more worrying than the recurrent excuses is the fact that the coach just doesn't seem to be able to motivate the players. Xs and Os are a part of the job, but motivation is equally important. This team needs a coach who demands that his players play hard for him, and Triano doesn't seem to get enough effort out of them. The recent report about players taking things too lightly (e.g. eating popcorn) before games speaks to this. This kind of thing just shouldn't happen on a basketball team, and if it does, it's up to the coach to correct it. It's not good enough for him to say, "I don't know what the players are doing before the start of the game; I'm busy preparing with the other coaches." Triano may be a capable coach, but he's too soft for this group.

Comment

To me it's amazingly rediculous that they haven't practiced zone D. The Raps are NOT an athletically or individually gifted defensive players. So why not play zone to mask their weakness? This is what they do in Euro-ball, and damn it works pretty darn well if you ask me.
          Don't get me wrong, teams would still score on us...but probably not in the same degree they are now. Plus, these man rotations, switches, and help D right now seems to just be too slow or non-existent. Zone D would at least address these problems.

The biggest knock on zone D in the NBA is that once penetrated, it's rather easy to swing the ball and get a wide open jump shot...especially from beyond the arc. But last time I checked, the raps are giving up a lot of open 3's anyways.

Comment

Another question would be what happened to Ivaroni? Where is this mythical great defensive mind we've heard passed down through the media? Was defense ever a strong point in Phoenix or Memphis when he was there? I don't think so.

Comment

So true. We brought in the dude behind the Phoenix D AND have 3 slow footed euros in the starting line up. I guess it's rather easy to see why we're so bad in this area

Comment

Defense wins games because its easier for a good defensive player to be consistent than a good offensive player to be consistent. I would place more faith in a guy being able to keep a hand in the face of an opponent than a guy being able to hit a shot with a hand in their face...On a legit contending team that is. Same thing goes for depending on a guy to try to stay in front of a ball carrier as oppose to depending on a guy trying to get around a defender and score a bucket.
                Last edited by Apollo; Tue Dec 1, 2009, 01:21 PM.

Comment

This is so sad and I really mean it. How can you spend all your training camp on defense and not even practice zone. Zone defense is something every team plays here and there, it's like what you do when you're tired on D or want to force jumpers...unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                  X