Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Raps 2010-2011 Starting C and PF

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raps 2010-2011 Starting C and PF

    Next year could see some major changes for the Raps starting PF and C.

    Working under the assumption CB takes a hike, we will most likely be looking at a starting combo of Bargs and Amir or Bargs and Davis.

    What do you all think? Will Bargs be C or PF?

    With Davis being fresh to the NBA and Amir blossoming at an exponential rate I would assume Amir would be starting. That being said, Davis has lots of potential too which might be good to tap into right away (plus, there is no full guarantee yet on Amir re-signing- fingers crossed).

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we don't pick up anyone else and Bosh leaves, Bargs will be at center. Both Davis and Amir are too light to match up against guys like Dwight Howard and would basically get posterized for 48 minutes. I could see them having either Amir or Davis playing closer to the basket on defense though in order to provide extra help when Bargs get's confused. On offense, Bargs has basically been playing the 4 for the last few years anyway, so yah.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  3. #3
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    What do you all think? Will Bargs be C or PF?
    Considering we don't really have any other starting options at the centre spot, I don't see anything changing with Andrea and moving him to the PF spot. If the man could learn to use his size to his advantage, then having Bargnani as a centre would only benefit us. Offensively and 1-on-1 defence I'm not worried. It's his terrible rebounding and help defence which is worrisome. If he can improve in those two departments this summer for next fall, then I'll be a happy camper and lay off the Andrea criticism ..... a bit.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's what I was curious about too. With the rebounding issue at hand, it might be better to put Davis down low at the C position anyways and revert Bargs to CB4's usual post positioning.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    That's what I was curious about too. With the rebounding issue at hand, it might be better to put Davis down low at the C position anyways and revert Bargs to CB4's usual post positioning.
    How exactly does it make a difference which position Bargnani will play? Bosh played PF last year, and Bargnani played center, yet Bargnani spent the majority of time camped out at the three point line. You guys have to get over this fascination of which hypothetical position Bargnani will play. It really won't make much difference at all.

    Quote Selects87 wrote: View Post
    I really hope Bargs goes to the 4 with possibly Alabi at the 5. Alabi is a great defensive player and has the size to play with the bigs in the NBA. Amir and Davis could be very good and a lot of fun to watch coming off the bench.
    You want a second round pick, who's incredibly raw, to start at center? I think it's doubtful he'll even get regular minutes, let along start. I think you're expecting far, far too much from the 50th pick.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=Tim W.;23334]How exactly does it make a difference which position Bargnani will play? Bosh played PF last year, and Bargnani played center, yet Bargnani spent the majority of time camped out at the three point line. You guys have to get over this fascination of which hypothetical position Bargnani will play. It really won't make much difference at all.


    Ummm..hello..it makes a big difference in terms of positioning for rebounding, which is what we were talking about.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Ummm..hello..it makes a big difference in terms of positioning for rebounding, which is what we were talking about.
    Bargs is best when guarding the opposing team's larger power based interior player who tries to isolate and back him down. Conversely, many PFs are just too quick and athletic for him to handle. I think that has been the consensus for quite some time.

    Amir, on the other hand, is best when guarding quick PFs.

    Bargs is going to suck at rebounding regardless of whether he's at PF or C. His lack of defensive awareness and understanding of team & weakside defense, while perhaps a bigger issue at C, will still remain a problem at PF. He's also going to struggle with transition defense no matter what 'position' he's playing.

    On offense, you want to force the other team's C into a matchup with Bargnani, since he is usually no match for Bargnani's shooting range and first step.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Brasky wrote: View Post
    Bargs is best when guarding the opposing team's larger power based interior player who tries to isolate and back him down. Conversely, many PFs are just too quick and athletic for him to handle. I think that has been the consensus for quite some time.

    Amir, on the other hand, is best when guarding quick PFs.

    Bargs is going to suck at rebounding regardless of whether he's at PF or C. His lack of defensive awareness and understanding of team & weakside defense, while perhaps a bigger issue at C, will still remain a problem at PF. He's also going to struggle with transition defense no matter what 'position' he's playing.

    On offense, you want to force the other team's C into a matchup with Bargnani, since he is usually no match for Bargnani's shooting range and first step.
    I only remember one instance of Bargs getting completely burned by his man last season and that was against Lemarcus Aldrige. He had very good games against big guys like Duncan and Howard, and I also remember him doing a fairly good job on Nowinski and Pau Gasol, who are both more finesse guys. Bargs has fairly quick feet and I see no reason or evidence to indicate he could not guard fours in the NBA. The issue is more that we need someone who can take on the opposing teams five, and we didn't have any this past season and won't next season.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is absolutely no difference between the 4 and the 4 and 5 on the offensive end and what people need to start saying is not, "move Bargs to the four" and instead say, 'move Bargs into the high post". I'm pretty sure that is what most people mean when they talk about Bargs as a power forward.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Ummm..hello..it makes a big difference in terms of positioning for rebounding, which is what we were talking about.
    When we're talking about the difference between PF and C, not it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Last season Bargnani defended mostly centers, yet could only grab 6.2 rpg. Bosh defended PFs, yet averaged double digit rebounding. If Bargnani defends PFs, his rebounding numbers could conceivably get worse if he's asked to defend more on the perimeter, but really, both positions spend the majority of their time on defense (where most rebounds are gotten) either in the paint or close to it.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    When we're talking about the difference between PF and C, not it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Last season Bargnani defended mostly centers, yet could only grab 6.2 rpg. Bosh defended PFs, yet averaged double digit rebounding. If Bargnani defends PFs, his rebounding numbers could conceivably get worse if he's asked to defend more on the perimeter, but really, both positions spend the majority of their time on defense (where most rebounds are gotten) either in the paint or close to it.
    Offensive rebounding....

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    Ummm..hello..it makes a big difference in terms of positioning for rebounding, which is what we were talking about.
    rude

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    47
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Chris Bosh does not resign, I believe there are several alternatives that may be available to the Raptors. I think Bargnani should be the starting PF with the Raptors exploring deals to acquire a Haywood, Milicic or Okefor,
    all big men who will compliment Bargnani's style of play.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think it matters. On offense the other team chooses who they want to defend the opposing players. Bargs will probably draw the better front court defender while Amir/Davis get the other guy.

    On defense, it all depends on matchups. If it's Dwight Howard, I think it makes sense Bargs would be the one covering them. But if it's Joakim Noah?

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    we might start reggie for a different look seeing how he is the strongest out of that group.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

    Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default hmmm...

    I really hope Bargs goes to the 4 with possibly Alabi at the 5. Alabi is a great defensive player and has the size to play with the bigs in the NBA. Amir and Davis could be very good and a lot of fun to watch coming off the bench.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Actually Amir and Davis would look pretty good off the bench together. Or Reggie and Davis off the bench and Amir starting.

  17. #17
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If playing the PF makes Bargnani play closer to the rim, then I'm all for it, but I don't think it matters. If he wasn't able to use his quickness against the C's in this league over the last three years, then he sure as hell won't do it against the PFs.

    Re: Rebounding

    He can't box out his own shadow, maybe his height advantage will yield him more rebounds (since PFs are usually shorter), but since he doesn't jump and other PFs do, even that's questionable.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The point of what I was saying is that Amir and Davis will probably REB better than him.

    Davis and Johnson will both be better rebounders than CB4, so will Bargs.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    The point of what I was saying is that Amir and Davis will probably REB better than him.

    Davis and Johnson will both be better rebounders than CB4, so will Bargs.
    Way to ruin a decent thread.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Multipaul wrote: View Post
    The point of what I was saying is that Amir and Davis will probably REB better than him.

    Davis and Johnson will both be better rebounders than CB4, so will Bargs.
    I'm curious how you can even type this s**t. Bosh was the 6th leading rebounder in the entire league. The only better rebounder on the team, per minute, was Reggie Evans. Bargnani was 7th. On the team. In order to average double digit rebounding, Bargnani would have to play 56.5 mpg.

    And since offensive rebounding is generally only a small percentage of a player's rebounding total, where he plays on offense doesn't matter. Loads of perimeter big men don't have trouble grabbing boards. Only Bargnani.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •