Raps 2010-2011 Starting C and PF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raps 2010-2011 Starting C and PF

Next year could see some major changes for the Raps starting PF and C.

Working under the assumption CB takes a hike, we will most likely be looking at a starting combo of Bargs and Amir or Bargs and Davis.

What do you all think? Will Bargs be C or PF?

With Davis being fresh to the NBA and Amir blossoming at an exponential rate I would assume Amir would be starting. That being said, Davis has lots of potential too which might be good to tap into right away (plus, there is no full guarantee yet on Amir re-signing- fingers crossed).

If we don't pick up anyone else and Bosh leaves, Bargs will be at center. Both Davis and Amir are too light to match up against guys like Dwight Howard and would basically get posterized for 48 minutes. I could see them having either Amir or Davis playing closer to the basket on defense though in order to provide extra help when Bargs get's confused. On offense, Bargs has basically been playing the 4 for the last few years anyway, so yah.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
      What do you all think? Will Bargs be C or PF?
      Considering we don't really have any other starting options at the centre spot, I don't see anything changing with Andrea and moving him to the PF spot. If the man could learn to use his size to his advantage, then having Bargnani as a centre would only benefit us. Offensively and 1-on-1 defence I'm not worried. It's his terrible rebounding and help defence which is worrisome. If he can improve in those two departments this summer for next fall, then I'll be a happy camper and lay off the Andrea criticism ..... a bit.

Comment

That's what I was curious about too. With the rebounding issue at hand, it might be better to put Davis down low at the C position anyways and revert Bargs to CB4's usual post positioning.

Comment

I don't think it matters. On offense the other team chooses who they want to defend the opposing players. Bargs will probably draw the better front court defender while Amir/Davis get the other guy.

On defense, it all depends on matchups. If it's Dwight Howard, I think it makes sense Bargs would be the one covering them. But if it's Joakim Noah?

Comment

we might start reggie for a different look seeing how he is the strongest out of that group.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

hmmm...

I really hope Bargs goes to the 4 with possibly Alabi at the 5. Alabi is a great defensive player and has the size to play with the bigs in the NBA. Amir and Davis could be very good and a lot of fun to watch coming off the bench.

Comment

Actually Amir and Davis would look pretty good off the bench together. Or Reggie and Davis off the bench and Amir starting.

Comment

That's what I was curious about too. With the rebounding issue at hand, it might be better to put Davis down low at the C position anyways and revert Bargs to CB4's usual post positioning.
                  How exactly does it make a difference which position Bargnani will play? Bosh played PF last year, and Bargnani played center, yet Bargnani spent the majority of time camped out at the three point line. You guys have to get over this fascination of which hypothetical position Bargnani will play. It really won't make much difference at all.

Selects87 wrote: View Post
                  I really hope Bargs goes to the 4 with possibly Alabi at the 5. Alabi is a great defensive player and has the size to play with the bigs in the NBA. Amir and Davis could be very good and a lot of fun to watch coming off the bench.
                  You want a second round pick, who's incredibly raw, to start at center? I think it's doubtful he'll even get regular minutes, let along start. I think you're expecting far, far too much from the 50th pick.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tim W.;23334]How exactly does it make a difference which position Bargnani will play? Bosh played PF last year, and Bargnani played center, yet Bargnani spent the majority of time camped out at the three point line. You guys have to get over this fascination of which hypothetical position Bargnani will play. It really won't make much difference at all.

Ummm..hello..it makes a big difference in terms of positioning for rebounding, which is what we were talking about.

Comment

Ummm..hello..it makes a big difference in terms of positioning for rebounding, which is what we were talking about.
                      Bargs is best when guarding the opposing team's larger power based interior player who tries to isolate and back him down. Conversely, many PFs are just too quick and athletic for him to handle. I think that has been the consensus for quite some time.

Amir, on the other hand, is best when guarding quick PFs.

Bargs is going to suck at rebounding regardless of whether he's at PF or C. His lack of defensive awareness and understanding of team & weakside defense, while perhaps a bigger issue at C, will still remain a problem at PF. He's also going to struggle with transition defense no matter what 'position' he's playing.

On offense, you want to force the other team's C into a matchup with Bargnani, since he is usually no match for Bargnani's shooting range and first step.

Comment

When we're talking about the difference between PF and C, not it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Last season Bargnani defended mostly centers, yet could only grab 6.2 rpg. Bosh defended PFs, yet averaged double digit rebounding. If Bargnani defends PFs, his rebounding numbers could conceivably get worse if he's asked to defend more on the perimeter, but really, both positions spend the majority of their time on defense (where most rebounds are gotten) either in the paint or close to it.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          When we're talking about the difference between PF and C, not it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Last season Bargnani defended mostly centers, yet could only grab 6.2 rpg. Bosh defended PFs, yet averaged double digit rebounding. If Bargnani defends PFs, his rebounding numbers could conceivably get worse if he's asked to defend more on the perimeter, but really, both positions spend the majority of their time on defense (where most rebounds are gotten) either in the paint or close to it.
                          Offensive rebounding....

Comment

Offensive rebounding....
                            What about it?

Comment

Brasky wrote: View Post
                              What about it?
                              1. They are great.
                              2. If Bargs plays further away from the basket (as per the norm), I think Amir/Davis will be excellent at corralling them. Much better than Bosh in fact.

Comment

Working...
                              X