Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami Might Be at a Disadvantage With Bosh

ESPN Insider blurb from this evening from Chad Ford:

As the Nets, Bulls and Heat have cleared cap space in an effort to possibly sign two max free agents (LeBron James, Chris Bosh) outside of their current rosters, ESPN's John Hollinger reminds us of this: "Remember, Heat/Bulls/Nets needn't clear all the max cap room if they can put a contract into a sign-and-trade for Bosh."

It's been long assumed that Bosh would likely leave Toronto via a sign-and-trade.

And if that ends up happening, Miami would seem to be in a bit of a bind. Once free agency hits, only Michael Beasley and Mario Chalmers will be on their roster, and the Heat can't even give Beasley away at this point.

The Bulls have Luol Deng to offer back -- though it's been reported Joakim Noah would be a target of the Raptors, a player the Bulls are reluctant to give up -- and the Nets also have some movable parts and could potentially offer first-round draft pick Derrick Favors if it meant landing Bosh.

Bottom line: Cap space isn't the only way to land Bosh and LeBron. And if a sign-and-trade is the only route Bosh will go, Miami is at a bit of disadvantage in that realm because they only have two players total on their roster outside of Wade.
    Here's what Ford had to say himself:

"It's just so difficult to do what they're trying to do there. The Heat would be left with just four players on their roster ... LeBron, Wade, Bosh and Chalmers if they sign-and-trade Beasley. That's 10 minimum slots to fill. That's a huge risk by LeBron, Wade and Bosh that all three will stay healthy ... I think cooler heads prevail at the end of the day. [The Raptors] don't have to do a [sign-and-trade]. They can refuse. But Bryan Colangelo is keen on getting back assets and Bosh wants that extra year and higher raises, so my guess is they work together to make something happen."
    Source - Click here

If the Raptors trade Bosh before they sign anyone except their draft picks even with Johnson's current salary going against the cap hold amount the Raptors would be under the cap after the trade. The Heat would be under the cap after the trade. The Heat would most likely sign Wade last since they have his Bird rights and can go over the cap in signing him just as the Raptors have Johnson's Bird rights and can go over the cap in signing him.

So since the Raptors and the Heat would both be under the cap after the trade the Raptors could take back a TPE and some draft picks with no problem. In fact BC has already stated that a trade like that may in fact happen.

Its seems that ESPN is dazed and confused on this one.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      If the Raptors trade Bosh before they sign anyone except their draft picks even with Johnson's current salary going against the cap hold amount the Raptors would be under the cap after the trade. The Heat would be under the cap after the trade. The Heat would most likely sign Wade last since they have his Bird rights and can go over the cap in signing him just as the Raptors have Johnson's Bird rights and can go over the cap in signing him.
      Yes, the Raptors would be under the cap, but by not much more than the MLE. You are incorrect, however, about simply signing Wade last. Bird FAs earning at least the average salary continue to have a cap hold equal to 150% to their previous salary. This is, of course, limited by the maximum salary they can get based on years of service. Therefore, Wade's cap hold will be the same base year salary for his new deal (105% of his previous salary) and signing him last won't make a difference.

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
      So since the Raptors and the Heat would both be under the cap after the trade the Raptors could take back a TPE and some draft picks with no problem. In fact BC has already stated that a trade like that may in fact happen.
      Just FYI, the Raptors being under the cap has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they can take back a TPE or future draft picks. They could be above the cap and they would still get the same TPE.

Comment

During Chad's live chat today..someone mentioned the idea of Minny taking Beasley since they're under the cap (they also mentioned the Knicks, but they won't use up any cap space on Beas until they strike out big time)...so I was wondering if a S & T with Bosh for Beasley and a Trade Exception, and then flipping Beas to Minny for another Trade Exception would work?

No idea if that would be allowed as a 3 team trade, but can a player be traded twice the same day?
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Working...
        X