Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grange: Raps Best Hope is There is a True Competition for Bosh’s Services

Thoughts?

Toronto’s best hope is there is a true competition for Bosh’s services among teams that have the salary cap flexibility. In that scenario, Bosh will be able to force a sign-and-trade and enjoy the security of that fifth year up front.

What would that mean to Toronto? Best case would be a deal netting a trade exception and perhaps a draft pick or two. (The trade exception could be worth as much as $16-million and allow the otherwise capped-out Raptors a way to add talent by taking on players from teams looking to dump salary – would the San Antonio Spurs be willing to part with guard Tony Parker and his $13.5-million salary to make way for George Hill? Not inconceivable.)

Colangelo’s latest spin as it’s become ever clearer that his franchise player is leaving is that getting non-player assets – the trade exceptions and draft picks – is a reasonable outcome. That with the right assets in hand, he can pull rabbits out of hats.

He might even be able to put a team together that could qualify for the playoffs, reversing the Raptors’ slide under his watch.

In any case, in his four years in Toronto, Colangelo’s wheel-and-deal magic act has been as entertaining as anything the floor. Get ready for another summer of the same.
    Source - Click here

Nothing really new (maybe the Parker thing) but still a very good article. And I agree, Bosh is gone and he is going where he wants.

I guess it is BC's spin on it now, but a large trade exception is better than garbage players - assuming BC doesn't use the TE for other garbage players.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Yes, best case scenario is Bosh not having a clear front runner, which would give us more leverage with S&T offers.

Comment

Like Bosh says himself (via twitter):
        chrisbosh After all these years... Just 24 hrs left..... Wow. I'm getting anxious.
        only 24(ish) hours to go to find out.

Comment

its about that time boys....... and to be honest i wouldnt mind a couple draft picks and a hefty trade exceptions for mr. bosh

Comment

Bosh to Miami feels very possible though which would leave us with nothing, not that Im complaining about having cap space on a rebuilding team.

Comment

I wonder if the "no state sales tax" in Florida compensates for the extra money he could make with the raptors. Can anyone fill us in on this?

Comment

ChrisR wrote: View Post
                I wonder if the "no state sales tax" in Florida compensates for the extra money he could make with the raptors. Can anyone fill us in on this?
                It's not no sales tax, it's no personal income tax. I have no idea how millionaires do their taxes, but as far as the first five years are concerned, it's a pretty safe bet that the lack of income tax more than makes up for the difference between 10.5% and 8.0% raises (about $2 mil over five years). As for the 6th year, it really would depend on how much the player re-signs for.

(And of course, even if the income tax makes up for the difference, it'd still be better to have the stability of 6 years and bigger raises atop less tax).

Comment

Am I right that MLSE has not extended Colangelo's contract and that he has only this upcoming season left under the current deal? Or put another way, should he be let go?

I used to be a Colangelo fan but having looked at his tenure in Phoenix and now with the Raptors, I don't think he's very good. While Phoenix was a good, maybe even great team, there were moves there that leave you scratching your head. In his mostly crappy book, Bill Simmons does a pretty good job of showing that Colangelo made some bone-headed moves (giving up picks while signing guys like Q. Richardson for way more money than the picks would have cost, not working harder to keep Joe Johnson). So he's had 2 teams and over a decade of work and does not seem to have managed either well. In fact, he appears to be getting worse. His situation when he took over the Raptors was about as good as a new GM could hope for after all. So isn't it time for a new GM?

And yes, there are worse out there and who trusts MLSE to make a solid choice. But guys like Pritchard and assistant GM's from solid organizations like San Antonio are likely available. If MLSE chose an assistant from a better organization they might be able to save money and upgrade the talent at the top. They could also hire the next Babcock but if this franchise is ever going to become a serious basketball team it needs to take those kinds of risks.

If I'm at a game where Bosh returns, I'll politely clap when he's introduced and then cat-call while the games actually being played. If I'm at one where Colangelo is introduced, I'll boo pretty hard. He's the one fans should be focusing their negativity on.

Comment

Strong competing attention for Bosh may give the Raps a BIT more leverage, but not a lot. Ultimately, it's still Bosh's decision which team he wants to play for, and that will determine what's available in a sign-and-trade.

Besides, no disrespect to CB, but with more and more players opting out every day, I would think that will actually REDUCE the level of competition for any single player who is not named Wade or James.... especially if Bosh has been branded as Robin to James' Batman.

Comment

A $16M trade exception is huge in a league full of sellers.

Comment

I dont understand why Grange is restricting his statement to include just teams with cap space. There are teams like Houston (over the cap) who are also interested in a Bosh. Such a team is a more favorable partner for the Raps since they can only s&t. That Bosh is willing to consider them is the kicker.

Comment

Recent reports have stated Houston is a long shot now. Sounds like Bosh isn't interested. Enough can't be said about the extra pressure that comes from playing at home.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I don't think teams over the cap can get the Raptors a trade exception..but then again, it is all about where Bosh wants to go.

Comment

The other thing is a trade exception only lasts a year. Given the glut of free agents and desperate cap-cutters the "Summer of Lebron" has created, it's a league more full of buyers than it may ever have been. What is that trade exception going to get the Raps in the next 12 months? Carlos Boozer or Joe Johnson after the Knicks or whoever decides they weren't worth the max contract they offered them? Who would be available that would be worth getting for a team that is (or at least should be) tearing itself down to the studs?

Sorry, I still think it's time for a new GM - or at least it will be at the end of the next season (maybe sooner if a caretaker like Wayne Embry could be found). That said, I'd be happy to hear from Tim W. or others as to why we should keep the faith in Colangelo.

Comment

Working...
                              X