Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Expectations on the Bosh-less Raptors

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Expectations on the Bosh-less Raptors

Aside from "less wins than last season's Nets" and "total rebuilding mode", what positive spin can we give for next season's Bosh-less Raptors?

If the season starts next week after the trade has been consummated, what positive expectations can we get from the Raps?

Considering a youth-laden team, how far do you think they'll go?

Jose/Jack/Chalmers/Banks
    DeRozan/Weems/Bellinelli
    Turkoglu/Beasley
    Bargnani/Davis/Amir/Evans
    Anthony/Dorsey

Doesnt look that bad...i think whats clearly missing is a 20pt player...

Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    seconded...

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Kinda expected a little bit of support from the Admin of a home team's fan forum. But oh well, we all have our bad days i guess.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Kinda expected a little bit of support from the Admin of a home team's fan forum. But oh well, we all have our bad days i guess.
    You want blind optimism or outright lying? It's not about lack of support, it's looking at the situation realistically. And realistically, the Raptors are not going to be very good next year if Bosh leaves. I'm supportive of the team, as is Apollo, but we're certainly not delusional. Look at the team. If they weren't your favourite team, would you think they would be anything but a lottery team?

Raptors Republic Rookie daveyboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    You want blind optimism or outright lying? It's not about lack of support, it's looking at the situation realistically. And realistically, the Raptors are not going to be very good next year if Bosh leaves. I'm supportive of the team, as is Apollo, but we're certainly not delusional. Look at the team. If they weren't your favourite team, would you think they would be anything but a lottery team?
    Yes. Why? Because the Raptors play in the east. The East has 15 teams, so the Raptors have to be better than 7 teams to make the playoffs. As of right now we are better than the Knicks, Nets, Sixers, Pacers, Wizards, and Pistons. The Bucks and Bobcats are not significantly better than our roster with Bosh gone (and if LeBron, Bosh, Wade don't sign with them, neither are the Bulls).

Its too early to just come out and say whether we will be a lottery team or not. Too much depends on the Free Agency and for the most part not for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote daveyboy wrote: View Post
    Yes. Why? Because the Raptors play in the east. The East has 15 teams, so the Raptors have to be better than 7 teams to make the playoffs. As of right now we are better than the Knicks, Nets, Sixers, Pacers, Wizards, and Pistons. The Bucks and Bobcats are not significantly better than our roster with Bosh gone (and if LeBron, Bosh, Wade don't sign with them, neither are the Bulls).

Its too early to just come out and say whether we will be a lottery team or not. Too much depends on the Free Agency and for the most part not for us.
    Without Bosh, the Raptors are better than the Knicks, Nets, WIzards and Pistons. Both the Sixers and Pacers are now more talented than the Raptors. And if LeBron leaves Cleveland and goes somewhere other than the Nets or Knicks, that adds one more team. That's five teams. Of course, if the Nets get a couple of good free agents, then they'll probably leapfrog over the Raptors, so it's back to four. The Bucks and Bobcats were better than the Raptors when they had Bosh. They are certainly better than them without Bosh.

I was called a homer by predicting the Raptors would win 45 games last year. I was overly optimistic, but they were at that rate at the All-Star break. It's not like I'm some bitter, pessimistic fan. If nothing else, I'm usually pretty realistic. It really is to make confident predictions, but if the summer goes the way I think it will, without any big surprises, and Colangelo does what he should do, which is build for the future and not take any big veterans that are going to take time away from the development of the younger players, then the Raptors will be lucky to win 30 games, and more likely will be closer to 20.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I don't hear the phrase 'historically bad defense' once, I'll consider the season a success. Mid lottery pick is most likely. Hopefully we'll see some individuals (Bargs, Davis, DeRozan) show some excellent growth. Getting Turkoglu to guy into a team system would be an added bonus.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

15 - 20 win team, new Nets of the East next year. This is not a mid-lottery team. welcome to the long haul.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Raps obtain (and keep) Beasley I will personally guarantee he averages 20 ppg. (I will not make any promises on his defense, but it really can't be much worse than that of Turk, Barg, Jose, Bellinelli, etc.)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

We will gain from Bosh's departure:
    1. Ability to play faster tempo
    2. Better ball movement=more effective offensive possessions and scoring
    3. Great opportunity for multi-player development
    4. Ability to experiment with new offensive and defensive schemes (yikes)
    5. The removal of a massive ego from our roster

Post Thanks / Like

You're obviously assuming Bosh goes to Miami for Chalmers, Anthony and Chalmers. That's certainly a possibility, but it's doubtful there have been any discussion, yet, so I think you're jumping the gun a bit. Besides, if the Raptors get Chalmers, it's safe to say either Calderon or Jack is gone.

You also seem to believe Turkoglu will be back.

Also, you're forgetting Solomon Alabi. I don't think he'll contribute much, but I definitely think he'll make the team.

I'm hard on Bargnani and would not like to see him return (obviously) but if he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 20 ppg, but at a lower shooting percentage than this season. I certainly don't see him starting at PF, though, having both Johnson and Davis play behind him. The only way Bargnani will move to the four is if the Raptors get Bynum back in a sign and trade with Bosh or Dalembert back in a trade for TUrkoglu. Otherwise the Raptors are most likely going to start the season with Bargnani at center and Johnson at PF.

Personally, though, I'm looking at the development of the young players. I'm excited to see how much DeRozan and Weems improves, how Johnson does in a bigger role and what Davis brings to the table next season. I'm not going to get hung up on wins and losses. There's really no point.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I'm hard on Bargnani

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

With that team, a maximum 15 win next season.

Raptors Republic Rookie bigmanshaq's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Just in case Beasley comes back in the S&T, here's a breakdown of his game from Draftexpress.com,
    although its from his rookie year, I think it still applies to his game today.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...l-Beasley-605/

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

But Tim, you know Bargs is BC's boy. There is nothing, the fans can do to change BC's opinion. Let's just hope "delusional and our team is not far off from contending" BC gets fired or not extended and real GMs like Kevin Pritchard, Steve Kerr or Jerry West are hired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Aside from "less wins than last season's Nets" and "total rebuilding mode", what positive spin can we give for next season's Bosh-less Raptors?
    No more Juicy Fruit commercials.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Too hard to make any predictions yet because there is still much more work to be done this summer by Colangelo, but based on your roster above we're certainly lottery bound again next season. Lots of youth and lots of learning.

Raptors Republic Rookie Realist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We won't be awful. We'll once again be a .500 team fighting for 8th.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Realist wrote: View Post
    We won't be awful. We'll once again be a .500 team fighting for 8th.
    Hmm, I don't know what team, you are seeing. This is a 15 win team with 20 wins being the high end. Top 5 pick for Harrison Barnes or Brendan Knight or 6-11 SF baby!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information