Perhaps Hedo Isn't Very Clutch After All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps Hedo Isn't Very Clutch After All

First off, where and when did Hedo get the "Mr. 4th Quarter" title? Was it because of his clutch shooting in last year's playoffs, or was it from times before that I just can't remember?

Clearly with Hedo it was the fact that when playing in Orlando he was surrounded by much better personnel. Meaning way less pressure to perform because you have other players like Howard, Lewis and Nelson that defence's have to worry about.

Now in Toronto the pressure couldn't be any bigger which is why we could be seeing him crumble this season. Look at this summer with the Turkish National Team. Although Turkey did well in the summer championships, Hedo was the focal point on the team and yet he was invisible. There was talk that he was fighting injuries, but could his regression in his game be because he can't play under pressure like most think he can?

Was his 5 year, $50+ million dollar contract a result of being a "good player" on an even better team? I mean, he's a career 12 ppg player. Sure he averaged 19 ppg 2 years ago, but Mike James also averaged 20 ppg for the Raptors 4 years ago too which doesn't say much.

So, how badly do we regret not re-signing Marion this summer? One, he would of come alot cheaper than Hedo and two, he'd hopefully be that consistent defensive presence we're so desperate to have right now.

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    First off, where and when did Hedo get the "Mr. 4th Quarter" title? Was it because of his clutch shooting in last year's playoffs, or was it from times before that I just can't remember?

Clearly with Hedo it was the fact that when playing in Orlando he was surrounded by much better personnel. Meaning way less pressure to perform because you have other players like Howard, Lewis and Nelson that defence's have to worry about.

Now in Toronto the pressure couldn't be any bigger which is why we could be seeing him crumble this season. Look at this summer with the Turkish National Team. Although Turkey did well in the summer championships, Hedo was the focal point on the team and yet he was invisible. There was talk that he was fighting injuries, but could his regression in his game be because he can't play under pressure like most think he can?

Was his 5 year, $50+ million dollar contract a result of being a "good player" on an even better team? I mean, he's a career 12 ppg player. Sure he averaged 19 ppg 2 years ago, but Mike James also averaged 20 ppg for the Raptors 4 years ago too which doesn't say much.

So, how badly do we regret not re-signing Marion this summer? One, he would of come alot cheaper than Hedo and two, he'd hopefully be that consistent defensive presence we're so desperate to have right now.

I don't think Marion was an option. He didn't want to play here. Just another gamble by Bryan in hopping that the 27 games or so would change his mind. It did not, and the Hedo move was to save face.

Speaking of 'clutch' labels, if I recall correctly, after the caliper some Raptor fans felt Andrea was clutch.

Comment

You're right. Where did he get that title? Before last year I had never heard it so you'd think the 2009 post-season is the main reason. He's always been a smart player that plays within his game and even in Sacramento he hit some pretty big shots. There's a difference between being a clutch player and being Mr. Clutch. He's a clutch player.

I always thought of him as a role player until his emergency in Orlando. He has the ability to run the offense but Triano's just giving him the ball and asking him to go one-on-one, that's cop-out coaching.

Comment

Hedo got the title the year before -- SVG's first year in Orlando -- when he was top 3/4 in fourth quarter scoring for most of the season. I think he finished 5th by the end of the year. Hedo was Orlando's closer and he was destroying teams all season long.

Hedo's performances were more up and down in the fourth quarter the following season, last year, but he had some big fourth quarters + clutch shots in the playoffs which continued the reputation.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

We haven't seen Hedo in full effect because he's been too much of a facilitator. I want him to be more selfish.
          Toronto's Finest

Comment

CripwalkinK wrote: View Post
            We haven't seen Hedo in full effect because he's been too much of a facilitator. I want him to be more selfish.
            Are you nuts? Every time I watch him play I want the ball out of his hands ASAP cause he rarely delivers.

Comment

Working...
            X