Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toronto Trying To Land Amare

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toronto Trying To Land Amare

This courtesy of Ric Bucher from ESPN:

Amare Stoudemire now appears to be a long shot to return to Phoenix after opting out of the last year of his contract and negotiations on a new deal with Suns owner Robert Sarver broke off late Tuesday night, a source said.

Stoudemire is now in the mix of free-agent power forwards being pursued by the Miami Heat, Chicago Bulls, New Jersey Nets and New York Knicks.

The Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and Toronto Raptors also are looking at potential sign-and-trade scenarios that could land Stoudemire.

Heat president Pat Riley met with Stoudemire last night and pitched Stoudemire on joining LeBron James and Dwyane Wade with the Heat, a source said.

All three would have to sign similar five-year deals starting at roughly $15 million, less than they could make on sign-and-trade deals.
    Source - Click here

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt Toronto is in the mix to try to land Amare' since they have more chances of landing Bosh.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

h, god. I hope Toronto isn't in the mix. What would be the point?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    h, god. I hope Toronto isn't in the mix. What would be the point?
    turning over a new leaf would be a point
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    turning over a new leaf would be a point
    How would that be turning over a new leaf? Amare is older, not as good a rebounder and plays worse defense than Bosh. Basically, it would take them back where they were before, but a worse defensively. Ya, that's turning over a new leaf.

Turning over a new leaf is not taking back any players who aren't, at the very least, above average defensively.

Post Thanks / Like

Riley pitched Amare on joining Wade and James? Bosh going elsewhere now? Funny.

In terms of the Raptors, I'm all for Amare coming here. Bosh isn't that much better than Amare.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I find it terribly odd that amidst all the defense/leadership/centerpiece status (or lack thereof) talk, the very same fans want us to go after players that don't match their own criteria. So I take it max money Amare can apparently be the man on this team? That David Lee/Elton Brand/Al Jefferson is also apparently a good defender.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you sat worst defense in the history of the league? Amare, while I do like his game, is not someone we want in Toronto.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Well its a longshot if we land amare but if we do its a good step towards building a new team. He isnt exactly a defensive presence but maybe his presence would attract other players to the team, or BC might get some intriguing offers for his services come deadline day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I find it terribly odd that amidst all the defense/leadership/centerpiece status (or lack thereof) talk, the very same fans want us to go after players that don't match their own criteria. So I take it max money Amare can apparently be the man on this team? That David Lee/Elton Brand/Al Jefferson is also apparently a good defender.
    It's gotten so bad that on another thread, a couple of people were actually arguing in favour of Beasley over Bosh.

All season long, people complained about the Raptors lack of defense, the lack of leadership from Bosh and the fact that they don't want the Raptors to overpay him. Yet people are so scared of losing Bosh's production they'll make a deal with the devil to get it back, ever in lesser form. Sure, Amare, Jefferson or whoever won't help one major problem the Raptors had last year, never mind actually improve them. At least the Raptors fans can pretend that little has changed.

These are the types of moves that scared GMs do, fearful of losing their job. If they can just keep enough talent around, no one will notice that the team actually isn't going anywhere. At least his job is safe.

I'm actually now looking forward to the rebuilding process. Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, Sonny Weems, DeMar DeRozan and even Marco Belinelli are some nice young players that should help the team on both ends of the floor. I look forward to watching them develop and watch the team acquire the right types of players. Sure, the wins won't be aplenty, but the future will certainly look a lot brighter.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy Moly. Not yet 24 hours and it's wilder than I ever thought.

Like someone else said everyone should chill and hope BC has a cool finger on the pulse of whats going down. Its like a convention of the baddest sharks.

Amare in Toronto? S&T? Quick, someone call Doug Smith to confirm and why?

Sidebar....this guy sometimes had problems with little Stevie N. And Nash made him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    A rebuild is about acquiring assets. I feel Amare's defense is as good as Chris' and I never have had a problem with Chris' defense. Chris wasn't the liability on defense for the Raptors and neither was Amare for the Suns
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jul 1st, 2010 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    A rebuild is about aquiring assets. I feel Amare's defense is as good as Chris' and I never have had a problem with Chris' defense. Chris wasn't the liability on defense for the Raptors and neither was Amare for the Suns
    Apparently you didn't watch the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Riley pitched Amare on joining Wade and James? Bosh going elsewhere now? Funny.

In terms of the Raptors, I'm all for Amare coming here. Bosh isn't that much better than Amare.
    they compared them on the score after amare claiming he was better than bosh and amare topped every category other than rebounding by like 1 and something esle that was pretty close. i say amare is better than bosh.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A rebuild is about aquiring assets. I feel Amare's defense is as good as Chris' and I never have had a problem with Chris' defense. Chris wasn't the liability on defense for the Raptors and neither was Amare for the Suns
    Fully concur with first sentence.

But rare is the time (I cant think of one) that one can move/trade a max. player (I assume an AS would be such) once accumulated as a considered asset. You do max deals because you believe in the player to keep as a cornerstone. The best assets to possess during a rebuild are draft choices, trade exceptions and low cost/young players that you can flip for proven and more expensive players.

Post Thanks / Like

they compared them on the score after amare claiming he was better than bosh and amare topped every category other than rebounding by like 1 and something esle that was pretty close. i say amare is better than bosh.
    What year was this? Compare their most recent seasons.

Anyway, if Bosh never took us anywhere, Amare is not going to do any better at all. Stupid idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    They are at about the same level offensively, although Bosh is a better passer, which tells you something about Amare's passing. Bosh was a better rebounder this season. Defensively, Bosh is much better. Amare is simply a poor defender with poor defensive instincts. And Amare is 2 and a half years older than Bosh.

The biggest issue, however, is that Amare has never played without Nash. Nash is renowned for making player look better than they are. How will Amare do when he doesn't have Nash setting him up? Bosh has never had anyone like Nash. He has to mostly create for himself, which Amare simply doesn't have to do most of the time.

I'm not sure how you can say that Amare is better other than the fact that you've watched Bosh for 7 years and are now possibly sick of him. It doesn't take away what Bosh is, though. And that's a better player than Amare.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Fully concur with first sentence.

But rare is the time (I cant think of one) that one can move/trade a max. player (I assume an AS would be such) once accumulated as a considered asset. You do max deals because you believe in the player to keep as a cornerstone. The best assets to possess during a rebuild are draft choices, trade exceptions and low cost/young players that you can flip for proven and more expensive players.
    As long as Amare stays healthy many teams would want him at max money. That said, I'm not Colangelo but I know he drafted Amare and must feel comfortable with the big man leading the team.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

so, basically amare is in the mix for half the nba teams

looks promising...

Post Thanks / Like

As long as Amare stays healthy many teams would want him at max money. That said, I'm not Colangelo but I know he drafted Amare and must feel comfortable with the big man leading the team.
    This isn't about what other teams would pay Amare, but what the Raptors should be doing. If the team didn't even make the playoffs with Bosh, what exactly are they going to do if they replace Bosh with Amare? Sure, they might improve a few games and maybe even make the playoffs, but that's about it. Again, it's this complete fear some Raptor fans have of regression, even if that's best for the future of the team. Amare would be a way to keep the team's head above water and nothing more. I agree with Bendit. If you're going to rebuild, signing a guy for the max probably isn't the best way to start.

Thread Information