X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptors Reach Out To Amar'e

Raptors Reach Out To Amar'e

Jul 01, 2010 7:57 PM EST

Amar'e Stoudemire will meet with the Knicks on Monday, followed by the Bulls on Tuesday.

The Raptors have also expressed interest in Stoudemire.

Bryan Colangelo is the former GM of the Suns.

Via John Gambadoro/KTAR (via Twitter)
    http://bit.ly/bfcNzT

If Bosh Walks the Raptos wouldn't be low enough under the cap to sign Amar'e straight up however maybe a Bargnani for Amar'e deal on a S&T?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

It would have to be more than just Bargnani, since Amare's max contract will be $17+ mil, Bargnani is only due $8 mil this season and we would only be about $3 mil under the cap (not including Dorsey). Either we make room or make the salaries match 125% +100k.

Comment

dont really see why we need to be wasting more cap space on a player thats basically the same, didnt we win only one playoff round with bosh? i can just imagine what we are thinking with amare.
        also we are basically in "re-building" mode anyway so why just do it the proper way like OKC through the draft? not like were gonna be a contending team in the next couple of years anyway even with amare

Comment

Oh I definitely agree with you Blaze, but I fear BC is trying to retool again rather than just rebuild from prospects up. We've never really had a true rebuild aside from maybe BC's first year, but that rebuild was short-lived because 1) the pieces added were either on the decline or had injury problems, and 2) we surprised ourselves (47-35) and decided to go all in without a full hand.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
            It would have to be more than just Bargnani, since Amare's max contract will be $17+ mil, Bargnani is only due $8 mil this season and we would only be about $3 mil under the cap (not including Dorsey). Either we make room or make the salaries match 125% +100k.
            The Raptors could throw in Evans to balance it close enough to work. $13 million vs $16.9 million new max contract 56.1 X 30%

13 x 1.25 = 16.3 + .1 = $16.4 plus $500K cash or Bargnani + Banks + Belinelli. Though I would prefer not give up Belinelli.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

not a chance

i wouldn't make this deal even if i had a gun to my head. If we give up bargs for amar'e i will lose all faith in BC. Amare is very athletic yes but he will not have Nash along side him in toronto and we all know how much better Nash makes guys. If Bargs realizes he needs to get tougher and starts to rebound he could be an elite player in this league without a doubt. He has all the talent in the world and could be in a completely different league than amare.

Comment

Maybe BC is just doing Amare a favour, feigning interest to drive up his offers....

sigh....I give up....
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                  The Raptors could throw in Evans to balance it close enough to work. $13 million vs $16.9 million new max contract 56.1 X 30%

13 x 1.25 = 16.3 + .1 = $16.4 plus $500K cash or Bargnani + Banks + Belinelli. Though I would prefer not give up Belinelli.
                  Generally agree but just wanted to point out/nitpick two things:

1) The first-year base salary for Amare's new max contract will be more than $16.9. Assuming the BRI (not cap) calculation leaves the max salary at anything less than $17.2 mil, Amare's first-year salary will be $17.2 mil (105% of his previous salary, $16,378,325)

2) You can't make up the difference between salaries with cash, so it would likely have to involve Bargnani + Banks/Evans + one other.

Comment

blaze89 wrote: View Post
                    dont really see why we need to be wasting more cap space on a player thats basically the same, didnt we win only one playoff round with bosh? i can just imagine what we are thinking with amare.
                    also we are basically in "re-building" mode anyway so why just do it the proper way like OKC through the draft? not like were gonna be a contending team in the next couple of years anyway even with amare
                    i don`t think BC understands that we are in a `rebuilding`mode which is scary. bc thinks we are not far off. way to go to make us avoid getting harrison barnes or brendan knight and being mediocre.

Comment

Phoenix was interested in Amir (or so they say), so If they'll talk trade, they'll want at least Amir back.

I'm not sure I'll bite on that (certainly not for max money), but what do I know, I'm no GM. Any of you guys willing to part with Amir for STAT? On what terms?

Comment

Personally I wouldnt do an S&T for amare involving andrea, Without assist-happy nash as PG, who knows what Amare is really capable of doing...Andrea has shown consistent improvement on both ends and assuming Bosh leaves, Bargnani is set up to have even more improvement to his game barring injuries. I just think Andrea has more untapped potential than amare, and I think he would rather sign on with a contender anyways

Comment

We would use the Trade Exemption from Bosh no need to trade Bargs or anyone else for that matter

Comment

I posted the link and story without commenting on whether I think it would be a good move to acquire Amar'e.

I agree with those who would rather see Bargnani rather than Amar'e play for the Raptors especially if Johnson starts. Bargnani and Johnson played pretty good together last year and i would think they would only get better playing together over time.

Comment

Stu jackson wrote: View Post
                              We would use the Trade Exemption from Bosh no need to trade Bargs or anyone else for that matter
                              That assumes that the Raptors can get one.

Of course you are correct if the Raptors could get the TPE from the Heat for Bosh then they could use that however I am not sure that the Suns would do that unless Amar'e said he won't sign with them unless they trade him. I don't think that that is his position. So I don't see the Suns taking the TPE unless there is another player that they could use it on in 2010-11. Otherwise they are screwed for 2010-11 if all they get for Amar'e is a TPE that they can't use in 2010-11.

Comment

I would do an Amare for Bargnani trade. Of course there would have to be more pieces involved.

Comment

Working...
                                X