Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Ink Amir Johnson To A Five-year, $34 Million Deal

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Ink Amir Johnson To A Five-year, $34 Million Deal

Toronto Raptors have reached agreement to sign centre Amir Johnson to a five-year, $34 million deal, agent Kevin Bradbury tells Y! Sports. 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck
    http://twitter.com/SpearsNBAYahoo
    Toronto Secures $34M Deal With Amir Johnson
    Jul 01, 2010 8:47 PM EST

Toronto Raptors have reached agreement to sign center Amir Johnson to a five-year, $34 million deal, agent Kevin Bradbury tells Y! Sports.

Via Marc J. Spears/Yahoo! (via Twitter)
    http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir..._amir_johnson/
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors Sign Amir to 5 Yrs/$34 Million?

This according to Bosh's puppet Hadi

Amir Johnson has come to terms with the Raptors on a 5 year 34 million dollar deal. #YoungGunz
    Source - Click here

Post Thanks / Like

That was the big news he was talking about earlier today.

That is about in line with what I thought he would get at the top side except he got an extra year more than what I expected.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amir Johnson signs a new contract with Toronto

5 Years, 34 Millions, of course he is no center^^

first step to a successful offseason, congrats bc
    Last edited by jjiio; Thu Jul 1st, 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of having our second most productive player last year around for another 5 years, but I get the feeling BC bid against himself again and they could have gotten him for cheaper. If he gets the minutes, Amir will easily show he's worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

It is $2 million more than Drew Gooden got. So Liston's thread was right there.

Post Thanks / Like

IamAmirJohnson

BIG NEWS!!!!! IMMMMM BACKKK!!.... TDOT will be my home! I'm officially a Canadian..TDOT STAND UP LEEGO! #younggunz!!! :-) 5 minutes ago via web

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy for Amir, and the money is not hugely above what I figured he'd get - I was hoping around $6 mil a year, he got just under $7M.

A- for the signing, just 'cause I figure he could have been had for a few million less.

I'd be shocked if BC was the only GM interested though.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah well considering how we all see how much potential Amir still has, other GMs for sure saw that in him as well. Definitely other teams were interested in him so Im stoked on the deal, not so much the money but lets hope he only gets better and lives up to it

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have info on the per year breakdown?

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

According to Bruce Arthur from the National Post, Phoenix and Golden State were interested in Amir too.

Looks like Phoenix and Golden State were both interested in Amir Johnson, per @gswscribe and @paulcoro. 5/34M-interested? We'll never know.
    Source - Click here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    According to Bruce Arthur from the National Post, Phoenix and Golden State were interested in Amir too.

Source - Click here
    This is interesting because a month or so ago I had an email exchange with someone in the Pistons organization that I still maintain contact with. He said to me "Amir would sure look good with Nash"

Not to be unless Nash gets traded to Toronto

Post Thanks / Like

I think there were 4 teams interested in Amir, probably why the deal ended being more than it should be but ah well its good to keep the young gunz here.

http://www.thescore.com/home/article...6-a-good-start

Post Thanks / Like

Grading The Deal: Raptors Keep Amir Johnson

By: Christopher Reina
    RealGM.com Writer
    Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/src_fea...#ixzz0sU6HvKrZ

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_fea..._amir_johnson/

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy for Amir. If BC had competition for AJ then fine. He is young, plays hard, wants to be here and improving his offense. But somehow I always get the feeling BC overpays. The core gets larger and thats a good thing. And everyone seems to be paying top dollar at this time (J.Johnson, Gay, Salmons).

Post Thanks / Like

Suuweeet!

The Young Gunz will remain intact! I'm headed to Centre Sports to get my jersey now.

A few mil more prolly than what he's worth, but def a good move by BC locking him up fast. He's only going to get better with time, more mins so it's all good.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Amir Johnson was one the most productive players on the raptors last year, showing great hustle and desire despite his limited/developing skills.

However, this is a TERRIBLE deal for the raptors. The skills Johnson provides are the most replacable ones in the league and we grossly overpaid. BC keeps screwing around with our cap by overpaying players and then people wonder why we cant compete for free agents or properly rebuild.

Especially in the stage we are in (rebuilding if bosh goes), this deal is everything BC should not do.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow talking about overpaying for an unproven talent.

I like Amir but man this was an expensive contract.

I hope they have somewhere to ship Reggie Evans to lessen the blow (Turkoglu would help alot more but nobody wants him heh).

Amir went where the money went, nothing to do with preference for the Raptors.
    Last edited by Hotshot; Thu Jul 1st, 2010 at 10:40 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter blaze89's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

good signing just dont like the figures at all........ a shade under 7 mill for amir? come on im sure BC could of gotten ALOT cheaper i would think 5.5 mill MAX

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote dino gunners wrote: View Post
    Amir Johnson was one the most productive players on the raptors last year, showing great hustle and desire despite his limited/developing skills.

However, this is a TERRIBLE deal for the raptors. The skills Johnson provides are the most replacable ones in the league and we grossly overpaid. BC keeps screwing around with our cap by overpaying players and then people wonder why we cant compete for free agents or properly rebuild.

Especially in the stage we are in (rebuilding if bosh goes), this deal is everything BC should not do.
    Rebounding and hustle in a player that is also extremely efficient on the offensive end are NOT easily replaceable skills. They are actually difficult skills to find and contribute to wins more than someone who is just a scorer. His lack of scoring is probably his biggest weakness, but there are plenty of players on the team that can score. Of all the deals Colangelo has signed, this one and Jacks are easily the best.

Amir is the type of player that the Raptors need to get more of. Players who hustle, play defense and have the intangibles that help a team win.

I do find it incredibly ironic, however, that on the same day Drew Gooden is signed by Milwaukee, Amir signs with the Raptors. If Milwaukee doesn't regret letting Amir go, they should. I'd much rather have Amir on my team than Gooden, who was signed for only slightly less money.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information