Raptors Ink Amir Johnson To A Five-year, $34 Million Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quixotic wrote: View Post
    This is what I feared. Don't get me wrong, I like Amir, and I didn't actually think we'd get him back for $4 mil per, but I was hoping for no more than $5 mil per.
    Hopefully anything we do in days to come won't clog up our future cap too much and Amir continues to get better as an all-around player, or this could be JYD 2.0, especially with the new CBA.
    Lets Hope Amir Shows the same Hustle and energy this year as well and all that was not just for his Contract year because then, He would be worth than JYD.

This is a typical BC move. Play a player 25-30% more than anyone else and make sure you will sign him.

His ego was not allowing him to lose on both Bosh and Amir in the same summer. Now the question is how much will we pay Weems to stick around. another 5 year 40 million this time ???!!! Young Gunz all the way to the NBA finals.

Comment

For People who think this was a STEAL of a DEAL.
      What are you expectations of Amir in the coming year?
      How many minutes do you think he should be able to play?
      What kind of numbers sound reasonable with his new Salary and Status in the Raptor Land?

Comment

Definitely overpaid, however not by that much. If it was 6mil I think most people can live with it, 5.5 and ESPN wouldn't have Amir on their front page.
        The problem is the amount of people being overpaid on the current raptors roster; arguably Bargs, Jose, Turk, Banks, Evans, (Amir).

Optimistically I hope Amir improves because if he doesn't this becomes an obvious bad contract.

Comment

You, sir, are hilarious. Have you noticed that each and every single one of your posts involve a change in position?
          So here's my response:

You were also wrong in your initial point that the Raptors will have to use their MLE on Amir Johnson, but I guess you saw your error and quickly tried to amend it with another piece of speculative BS. If it takes way more than the ~$6 mil (MLE value) to re-sign Amir, goodbye Amir. Otherwise, welcome back and the Raptors will be sitting on $51-53 million worth of guaranteed salary, plus whatever they get back for Bosh, if anything, and plus or minus the difference in salary between Hedo and whatever we get back for him. Considering the luxury tax level will be ~$68 mil (if the projected cap of ~$56 mil stays true), we should have plenty of room for the rookie contract, MLE and minimum salary players, unless we take someone like Bynum back in the Bosh trade. It will likely be the MLE that puts us into the luxury tax, and if the MLE is well spent, it will be worth it anyhow.

Conclusion: You're an idiot.
          it can be argued that overpaying to keep him is better than losing him
          Tim, I have no idea why I decided to arbitrarily count only from the third season (when he got his new contract) onward. LOL
          We either have his Early Bird rights (I don't know of Early Bird rights follow the player the same was full Bird rights do), which does seem to work as well, or we just used our MLE on Amir (Bosh's cap hold puts us over the cap).
          Last edited by Vellassco; Fri Jul 2, 2010, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Amir is getting paid based on potential. Damn man, that's a hefty contract. At least we know he'll bust his butt trying to improve and earn it.

Comment

Finally heard from Bosh on this and he did send a very nice tweet.
              Chris Bosh chrisbosh

Congrats to @IamAmirJohnson on his new deal! He worked very hard last season and he deserves every penny. Proud of you bro! #freeagency about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter
              Twitter is having capacity problems so I will pass on including the link so I can post this now and move on. People can go to Bosh's Twitter page later to verify it.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Raptors to re-sign Johnson

Amir Johnson(notes) has reached agreement on a five-year, $34 million contract to return to the Toronto Raptors, his agent Kevin Bradbury told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

Johnson, 23, averaged 6.2 points and 4.8 rebounds while playing all 82 games for the Raptors last season. Bradbury said Johnson considered about four teams before agreeing quickly to return to Toronto on the first day of free agency.

“Amir didn’t want to play the free agency game,” Bradbury said. “He wanted to go back to Toronto. He’s young and he has security and a lot of basketball left in him.”

Johnson can’t sign the contract until July 8 when the signing moratorium ends.
                http://yhoo.it/cu8IvS

Bradbury is also at DBA like Duffy. I guess Bradbury took over Johnson's account. It could be that Duffy had too many to handle so he off loaded some to Bradbury
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                  For People who think this was a STEAL of a DEAL.
                  What are you expectations of Amir in the coming year?
                  How many minutes do you think he should be able to play?
                  What kind of numbers sound reasonable with his new Salary and Status in the Raptor Land?
                  Well, I don't think anyone actually thinks this is a steal. It is what it is. The Raptors were bidding against a few other teams, and with Drew Gooden getting similar money, it was pretty inevitable that Amir would be getting the kind of money he did. I'd love to have seen him gotten for less, but it's obvious that wasn't going to happen. All you complaining that he was overpaid have to realize that was almost certainly getting similar offers elsewhere.

As for his minutes, I'd like to see him get around 30 minutes a game, and I'm not really hung up on numbers. I would just like to see him contribute the same as he did in 17 minutes over 30 minutes.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    As for his minutes, I'd like to see him get around 30 minutes a game, and I'm not really hung up on numbers. I would just like to see him contribute the same as he did in 17 minutes over 30 minutes.
                    Definitely on the side closer to unlikely, but we can always hope. =)

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      Well, I don't think anyone actually thinks this is a steal. It is what it is. The Raptors were bidding against a few other teams, and with Drew Gooden getting similar money, it was pretty inevitable that Amir would be getting the kind of money he did. I'd love to have seen him gotten for less, but it's obvious that wasn't going to happen. All you complaining that he was overpaid have to realize that was almost certainly getting similar offers elsewhere.

Helping the Raptors win. I am sure he will continue his hardest during games and in practice to try and make that happen

Comment

A MLE deal can be up to 5 years, and the amount does seem to match.

What I'm actually a bit confused about is whether the Raptors have Amir's full Bird rights. For a team to gain full Bird rights, that player needs to have played for the same team for THREE consecutive seasons without being a free agent or being waived. Examples illustrate this being done with 2 full seasons and a half season before being traded, which lead me to now think we don't have his full Bird rights. We either have his Early Bird rights (I don't know of Early Bird rights follow the player the same was full Bird rights do), which does seem to work as well, or we just used our MLE on Amir (Bosh's cap hold puts us over the cap).

Larry Bird Exception - max salary limited by years of service, 10.5% raises, 6 years max
                        Early Bird Exception - max salary of either 175% of previous salary or just the average player salary, 10.5% raises, 5 years max
                        Mid Level Exception - max salary of the average player salary, 8% raises, 5 years max

As you can see both the MLE and the Early Bird are pretty similar.
                        25. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?
                        The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons (two for Early Bird). However there are a number of complications:

•When a player is traded, his new team inherits his Bird rights. For example, if a player signs a three-year contract, plays two and a half seasons with that team, and is traded at the trade deadline in the third season, then his new team owns full Bird rights following the third season.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q33

Comment

jbml wrote: View Post
                          25. How long must a player be with one team before the Larry Bird exception can be used?
                          The basic idea is that a player must play for the same team for three seasons for his team to gain Bird rights (two seasons for Early Bird rights). It can be a single three-year contract, a series of three one-year contracts, or any combination that adds up to three seasons (two for Early Bird). However there are a number of complications:

•When a player is traded, his new team inherits his Bird rights. For example, if a player signs a three-year contract, plays two and a half seasons with that team, and is traded at the trade deadline in the third season, then his new team owns full Bird rights following the third season.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q33
                          Yes, I also C&P-ed that two posts down, so C&Ping it again doesn't really help when what I wanted was clarification on the rule, lol. =)

In any case, the issue was cleared up by Tim (I forgot Amir's first two seasons counted towards his years total). Thanks anyway.
                          Last edited by Quixotic; Fri Jul 2, 2010, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Definitely on the side closer to unlikely, but we can always hope. =)
                            I probably should have said similarly. It's doubtful he'll be able to maintain what he did over 17 minutes for 30 minutes. Still, if he bring a similar amount of energy, hustle and does the other things he does well, I'll be happy.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Vellassco wrote: View Post
                              You have a long and grudge-holding memory, apparently. Good thing there's a thing called context, and anyone who reads your posts which my posts were in response to would be having a nice chuckle right now.

"it can be argued that overpaying to keep him is better than losing him"

What is wrong with this statement? "It can be argued" doesn't mean "I agree" in English. In fact, the rest of the post you cut that from was me stating the opinion that Amir is being overpaid.

"If it takes way more than the ~$6 mil (MLE value) to re-sign Amir, goodbye Amir."

Again, not sure why you bolded this part. First, it was my opinion that we should definitely let Amir go if it would cost us "way more" than ~$6 mil/MLE value. Second, it didn't cost us way more than MLE value; in fact, the deal will be very close to MLE value, since it will be starting at ~$5.6 mil.

As for the rest, yes, I admit I had a brain fart over a non-issue yesterday. You got me there.

But in the end, context is amazing and the next time you want to take issue, you might wanna include the rest of my post where I called you out for making up salary cap rules and pulling numbers out of your butt. It was a major factor in me calling you an idiot.
                              Last edited by Quixotic; Fri Jul 2, 2010, 06:18 PM. Reason: added last paragraph

Comment

You have a long and grudge-holding memory, apparently. Good thing there's a thing called context, and anyone who reads your posts which my posts were in response to would be having a nice chuckle right now.
                                I have never had a keen memory sorry but im not taking idiot calls everyday and also its really impossible to ignore you cuz you are everywhere in this forum. Forum is currently under invasion by your deep bright NBA knowledges!

"it can be argued that overpaying to keep him is better than losing him"

What is wrong with this statement? "It can be argued" doesn't mean "I agree" in English. In fact, the rest of the post you cut that from was me stating the opinion that Amir is being overpaid.
                                The wrong with this statement is coming from your "original" post, our NBA genius. Calling "Speculative BS" vs "it can be argued" for same argument (overpaying Amir) is creating a hard contrast and being good example for your lovely words "change in position" at least in Turkish!.

"If it takes way more than the ~$6 mil (MLE value) to re-sign Amir, goodbye Amir."

Again, not sure why you bolded this part. First, it was my opinion that we should definitely let Amir go if it would cost us "way more" than ~$6 mil/MLE value. Second, it didn't cost us way more than MLE value; in fact, the deal will be very close to MLE value, since it will be starting at ~$5.6 mil.
                                Its bolded cuz it will show you how quickly a "Spaculative BS" can turn a fact (in a week) and how you turned "You were also wrong in your initial point that the Raptors will have to use their MLE on Amir Johnson" to "we just used our MLE on Amir" in a week also. This time "Facts" changed your "position" huh.

As for the rest, yes, I admit I had a brain fart over a non-issue yesterday. You got me there.
                                If your mind full with too many bullshits, it will most likely release some metan(CH2) gas time to time. Be careful while your brain is farting, It can be dangerous, its one of the highly explosive gases, dont blow your mind with absurd things, get a life, walk on greens.

But in the end, context is amazing and the next time you want to take issue, you might wanna include the rest of my post where I called you out for making up salary cap rules and pulling numbers out of your butt. It was a major factor in me calling you an idiot.
                                Sure , if ya want. Here is the your major factor you want me to post:

"Not over 40M $, its 31.800.000 $ (last year on his contract has player option and CBA rules exclude option year at trade kicker). That makes his kicker about 4.700.000 $ ( if it is %15 on his contract, rumors say its max and %15) . If he waives some of his kicker, say %30 ( he cant waive all of it , sorry but its another CBA rules; max 1/3 i guess)"

Above sentences was written to some one who was debating hedos kicker is $6M over the remaining 4 years (actually pathetic part of whole those things --> he is not being a "idiot" in our NBA genius eyes while he was way away of the value but when some one from other continental who try to show him its not as simple math as he implied is being an "idiot". I bet it has nothing to do with being of Hedo fan for taking your attention! huh). Look English is not my mother tongue, yea right but i know if some one start with "say" and finish with "i guess" in his sentence he most probably is not being sure about what the precise figure and trying not to impose misleading information. At least he should not deserve to be calling idiot for his bona fide effort. Being Raptors fan from day 1 or having deep basketball knowledge cant give nobody the right of calling idiot anybody in this forum. I'm done with you. Feel free to fly. Good luck "Conclusion Man"
                                Last edited by Vellassco; Fri Jul 2, 2010, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X