Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Colangelo Pursuing Lee. Toronto Isn't Very High on Lee's List

  1. #1
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    3,946
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Colangelo Pursuing Lee. Toronto Isn't Very High on Lee's List

    Ouch ... probably for the best that Lee isn't too keen on coming here, but I still don't see how Lee can help us get better. Sure he's a great rebounder and showed last season that he can score too, but his defence is horrendous and that's the one area as a team we must improve on next season.

    Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, according to a source, is hotly pursuing Knicks free agent David Lee and would love to work out a sign-and-trade with the Knicks for Bosh.

    However, Lee is meeting with the Bulls in Chicago today and has Toronto not very high on his list. Colangelo might fly out to meet Lee in Chicago today also.
    Source - Click here

  2. #2
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He's better than nothing and I think what we're seeing is Colangelo targeting players in each scenario that could play out involving Chris Bosh. If Bosh chooses the Knicks, David Lee is the highest value asset that the Raptors can receive in terms of an actual player.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Starter Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Toronto Star wrote:
    According to team sources, Toronto has the parameters of five or six sign-and-trade scenarios worked out for Bosh but is waiting to hear from him on where he’d like to play next season.
    I'm assuming this is why we're hearing all these different players being "hotly pursued" by BC - like Apollo just said.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
    Ouch ... probably for the best that Lee isn't too keen on coming here, but I still don't see how Lee can help us get better. Sure he's a great rebounder and showed last season that he can score too, but his defence is horrendous and that's the one area as a team we must improve on next season.



    Source - Click here
    Bad, bad deal for David Lee. with such deal for Lee playing for the Raps, we have the softest and worst defensive frontline in the history of the laegue, way to go Brian!

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie Priest's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Im not against David Lee, I think he can help out any team a lot. His defense is suspect but then again he was surrounded by a very weak supporting cast and a not so defensive minded coach. If he ends up coming to Toronto it should be a good experiment to see if he can actually step up to the plate defensively.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,072
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lee is the same player as Bosh, he will put out big numbers but will always be a second option on a good team.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    He's better than nothing and I think what we're seeing is Colangelo targeting players in each scenario that could play out involving Chris Bosh. If Bosh chooses the Knicks, David Lee is the highest value asset that the Raptors can receive in terms of an actual player.
    Actually, he's worse than nothing. Nothing would give more minutes for Johnson and Davis to develop. Nothing would be a lot cheaper and nothing would actually make the Raptors a better defensive team.

    I'd rather have nothing.

  8. #8
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, I totally disagree with you so I guess we have nothing left to say.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    2,673
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Actually, he's worse than nothing. Nothing would give more minutes for Johnson and Davis to develop. Nothing would be a lot cheaper and nothing would actually make the Raptors a better defensive team.

    I'd rather have nothing.
    I agree. The only positions I really want coming back are C, SF, and PG. Anything else will delay the development of our young core of guys that need all the PT they can get to improve.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lee is only better than nothing if his deal is modest. I think he's trying to get a deal for $10+ mil a year. To that, I say no thank you, because the last thing we need is a big man who can't play D.

    Every player in the league has a distinct "worth" to each team in the league. If you think of every player's worth as a fraction of the league average payroll, where each value is normalized for each team so that all teams have an equal chance at winning the championship, then Lee's worth is certainly lower than what we would have to pay him since we need defense more than anything.

    And Hotshot, Lee is not the same player as Bosh. Not even close. And no, I don't care about PER, since basketball is not a game of five individual players on the court. More important is the effect a player had on the team, and Bosh had a notable positive effect (+4.0) on one of the best offenses in the league, along with a slight positive effect (+2.0) on one of the worst defenses in the league. Lee, on the other hand, had a slight positive effect on one (+1.6) of the better offenses in the league, and had a notable negative effect (-3.2) on one of the worst defenses in the league.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    agree that Lee is useless for this team and the development of a young and promising core.
    If BC signs Lee... The NBA might as well officially change the name of the team to Craptors!!

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If we are going to change the name, can we just change it to Huskies? After all, the team will seriously be dogging it.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I say why not.
    We are going to pay Amir who can do a half decent job on defense 7 million a year.

    Lets give Lee a 4 year, 45 million a year, then combine these two into one player that can maybe play.

    Come on BC, you master negotiator , make this happen.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote photoman wrote: View Post
    agree that Lee is useless for this team and the development of a young and promising core.
    If BC signs Lee... The NBA might as well officially change the name of the team to Craptors!!
    Come on now, Wait till next year when we pay Weems a 4 year $39 million contract. Then just imagine the young guns and Lee , wow, line up the rings boys, here is the Raptors coming .

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter rdiaz101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    Lee is the same player as Bosh, he will put out big numbers but will always be a second option on a good team.
    not to mention shit on defense too
    "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

    Herm Edwards

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    I say why not.
    We are going to pay Amir who can do a half decent job on defense 7 million a year.

    Lets give Lee a 4 year, 45 million a year, then combine these two into one player that can maybe play.

    Come on BC, you master negotiator , make this happen.
    As good as Amir is on defense, I don't think he can make up for Lee. :-p

    AJ + Bosh + Bargnani = very bad defense; AJ + Lee + Bargnani = even worse

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    I say why not.
    We are going to pay Amir who can do a half decent job on defense 7 million a year.

    Lets give Lee a 4 year, 45 million a year, then combine these two into one player that can maybe play.

    Come on BC, you master negotiator , make this happen.
    Wow, has the backlash of Amir already begun? The guy is extremely effective on both ends of the floor. He can play.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ^^ People must think Amir's salary is coming directly outta their pockets.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote photoman wrote: View Post
    ^^ People must think Amir's salary is coming directly outta their pockets.
    I believe the concern is the CAP. The Knicks under Layden & Isaiah messed with it severely that put the franchise in a bind that they are only now attempting to come out of.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    Wow, has the backlash of Amir already begun? The guy is extremely effective on both ends of the floor. He can play.
    If the backlash for Davis could start the moment he was picked, it certainly can start for Amir after an entire season. =P

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •