Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Las Vegas Summer League Thread (Raptors Get Great Reviews, See Pg. 8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toronto 102 New York 89 F

Comment

Does mike roll ever miss?

Comment

Game #3 vs the Undersized Knicks

This game was hard to watch. At times it did have a good flow to it but it was a very choppy game with 64 free throws in the 40 minutes

The Knicks had no interest in playing defense the whole game with the Raptors ringing up 85 points in the first 30 minutes. That equates to 136 points over 48 minutes.

So because of the excessive number of fouls the Knicks being very undersized except for that superstar J. Jordan and their lack of defense numbers in this game are meaningless

Having said that I did want to comment a bit about Davis.

1. He did hit one mid range jumper from the right side showing a quick release and nice form.

2. The thing that has impressed me the most about him in the two games that I have seen him play in the LVSL is his interior passing. He has shown good court awareness, accuracy and timing in his interior passing.

The only other thing to add is that he was definitely more active in the paint than in the prior game but that could have been at least partially due to the fact that the Knicks really did not have any big bodies in the paint.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Back to Summer League for a second.

You know what I think of it and I haven’t watched a single second of a single game but I have talked to people who are out there because I figure you want to know what’s going on.

The word:

DeRozan and Weems look really good, lots of good chemistry; DeMar seems to have worked quite hard in his ball-handling and they’ve had some highlight reel stuff. That’s to be expected, of course, since they’re facing mainly non-NBA talent, but the thing people are most impressed with is the improvement in things like ball-handling, defensive awareness and cohesion.

Early reports on Ed Davis? Athletic, hasn’t had moments of mind-wandering too often, can keep up athletically and has more offensive game than some thought, at least at the summer league level. Seeing how he hadn’t played five-on-five since February, everyone seems pleased with progress.

Solomon Alabi? First day, got this: “Hope he likes Erie.” Since then, he seems to have become more comfortable. Remains a long-term project.

And now the guy everyone wants to know about: The New Legend Joey (Not Tommy) Dorsey.

Kid’s a bull, built like a linebacker and doesn’t mind contact at all. Has looked good and aggressive and solid on the boards. Is he a keeper? Depending on how many guys they end up with on the final roster, there are those who think he might just get some kind of non-guaranteed deal.
          Source: Doug Smith's Blog

Comment

Great game so far

Comment

Young Raptors Go To 4-0 - Cousins Almost Blows a Fuse

1. Davis looks like he has finally gotten his legs under him and was a blocking machine. He also ran the floor a lot better in this game then in the other three. He continued to show a nice shooting touch. However, his lack of muscle continues to show. Now in his defense as was mentioned on the telecast he was not able to work out for months while recovering from his broken wrist surgery. So I expect that he will get stronger and we should see this added strength come October.

2. DeRozan played another excellent all around game and continued to be very efficient on the offensive end getting to the free throw line 13 times on 12 field goal attempts, making 6 of 12 FGA and finishing with a game high 22.

3. Weems - Played a little out of control on the offense and it seemed to me that he forced his offense more than he should have reverting to what we saw in 09-10. He finished 6 of 19 from the field. He continues to show excellent ball handling skills and added some very nice passes. He finished with 3 assists. I look for the Raptors to take advantage of this once November rolls around.

4. Alabi - Another excellent game on both ends of the court. This guy continues to impress me at both ends of the court. If he has a good October I can see him being part of the regular rotation come November.

Cousins - We all know that physically this guy is a beast, big and strong. He is also extremely talented with a nice shooting touch and good footwork on offense. Top notch rebounder.

A big red flag went up in the first half. He did not have a good first half at all shooting something like 1 for 10. Eventually he did get it together in the second half.

However, in the first half for the first time in his very young NBA career he was very frustrated. He almost blew a fuse. You could see the anger and frustration in his face and body language. At one point after a Kings bucket he intentionally shoved Dorsey off the court. A bush league play to say the least. Dorsey did not retaliate. Eventually Cousins fouled out with a couple of minutes remaining. The game was close at the time when Cousins went to the bench for the last time. Once there he started smiling laughing and joking around.

Two very negative things about him became very clear in this game

1. He is still very immature
              2. The veterans are going to get into his craw plenty once November rolls around. I expect him to blow more than one fuse out there. How he deals with all of this only time will tell. However, it wouldn't surprise me to see him start making extra trips to McDonalds.

I am predicting it right now. Unless he can get his emotions and temper under control he will eat his way out of the league. By the same token if can get his emotions and temper under control he will become an all-star.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Thanks for the details. I didn't see this one.

Comment

I can see Garnett putting Cousins' name down in his list of "people whom I should taunt excessively."

Comment

I forgot two things

Here is the link to the box score

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/game.../gameinfo.html

Secondly, BC was interviewed at the announcers' table during the second quarter. He was very upbeat especially about the Raptors being a more up athletic and uptempo team in 10-11.

The announcers were asking him about Bargnani. BC went on to say that he thinks that Bargani can continue to grow and take on more responsibility on the offensive end.

Then he said something that sent a very big smile across my face. He said "We really like the Bargnani and Johnson metrics" from last season. LOL. Its nice to see that the Raptors management looks at the advanced hoops stats and believes in what they show. Hopefully this will translate into a 41+ win season for the Raptors in 10-11.

Comment

cousins got abused tonight ed davis played his best game. Cousins didn't even score in the first half and fouled out of the game at 10 fouls!

derozan and weems played well.

Comment

I felt cousins got beat up this game by davis, Dorsey, and alabi. They say cousins is ready to start and should have been picked #2 and Ed Davis was smacking alot of his shots into the stands so...I think we can now safely say we got a steal at # 13.

Who is our big man coach ? Cause I can see Ed Davis being like J o'neal in his prime, that's with some training tho. Alabi can be like dalembert but 7 foot 1 and with a mid-range game.
                        Last edited by grindhouse; Fri Jul 16, 2010, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Derozan's game seems to be highly improved. Anyone know what he's been doing over the summer? His jumper looks fluid and not robotic-like, as it was last year.
                          Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Comment

Arenick wrote: View Post
                            Derozan's game seems to be highly improved. Anyone know what he's been doing over the summer? His jumper looks fluid and not robotic-like, as it was last year.
                            He has been working out quite a bit in CA. and with guys like Amir, Jennings of the Bucks (he is from Compton as well). Kobe seems to like him a lot and they get together and JR Smith of the Nuggets. So he has good basketball company and must have picked up some pointers as well. Its always been said that he's been a hard worker so that helps. I can still see where he needs to handle the ball much better in order to create his shot...I dont think I have seen him crossover or use his left hand at the rim. But itll come I think.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              He has been working out quite a bit in CA. and with guys like Amir, Jennings of the Bucks (he is from Compton as well). Kobe seems to like him a lot and they get together and JR Smith of the Nuggets. So he has good basketball company and must have picked up some pointers as well. Its always been said that he's been a hard worker so that helps. I can still see where he needs to handle the ball much better in order to create his shot...I dont think I have seen him crossover or use his left hand at the rim. But itll come I think.
                              Hold on. From what I've been reading around here, DeRozan's just been hanging around with those no good Weems and Johnson, making videos and not working on his game. Are you telling me the people who have been saying that are full of s**t?
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Great post man.
                                Thanks Buddah.

Comment

Working...
                                X