Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Raptors 'Close' To Signing Player For MLE

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ajax
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Raptors 'Close' To Signing Player For MLE

    The Raptors are still waiting for Chris Bosh to make a decision, but they haven't completely stopped all other operations.

    Toronto is "close" to reaching an agreement in principle with a free agent for some, if not all, of the team's mid-level salary cap exception.

    No names have became immediately apparent, according to league sources.

    The NBA's mid-level exception is worth more than $5 million, but teams can offer less to players.

    Doug Smith of the Toronto Star lists Matt Barnes, Ronnie Brewer, Shannon Brown and J.J. Redick as potential targets.



    Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...#ixzz0soHS8H7m

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ajax
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
    I like Reddick as well but i wouldn't mind seeing Matt Barnes, he'll certainly add that toughness, cockiness and defensive mentally the team is sorely lacking, plus he's a good spot up shooter as well.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was secretly hoping for Ronnie Brewer.
    I wouldn't mind Barnes though.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
    I'm sorry, on another thread you're arguing that the Raptors should start Marcus Banks because the most important thing for the Raptors is defense, but then you turn around here and say you think they should sign J.J. Reddick????

    ANYONE who has complained about the Raptors defense should not be pining for a below average defensive player to be signed by the Raptors.


    Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    PS> I know that trades happen to destinations one least expects. Now, I know that New Jersey is in the mix. Couldn't we deal Bosh to them in the hopes that it would somehow net us Favors? I know they won't part with Lopez in as much as Chicago won't part with Noah. Thoughts?
    Actually, I would compare New Jersey keeping Lopez to Chicago keeping Rose. As in there's absolutely no way they'd trade him. He's a potential All-Star calibre center who can score in the post and step outside, rebound and play defense.

    Favors, on the other hand, they are apparently not set on keeping if the right deal comes along. I think they're crazy, but if New Jersey can convince Bosh to sign with them, Favors would be a great return for him. He's 18 and possibly still growing, so very well might end up being able to play center. He's bigger and stronger than Davis and if those two could pair up together in the future, it would be an incredibly intimidating front line defensively.


    Quote jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
    I also think it would be a mistake to sign anyone before we know what's going on with Bosh - simply because we can't say yet who or what will be coming back. Say he chooses Houston - whereby we get 2 SF's in return, negating a need to sign one, and in fact creating a logjam there. Likewise to the Bulls, where James Johnson or Deng may come back. Likewise, if we get a huge TPE, we could use that on any number of players or a player for any number of positions. Especially if with this "close" to happening signing we get just an average player, which is beyond likely given that it's gonna be for the MLE.

    Say we keep Bosh - doesn't that make it more than likely we'll move Turk? Who knows who we'll get in return for him.

    This has the potential to keep us medicore more than anything else, filling a need that may turn out not to be a need, and I'm saying this having no idea who they're really targeting. Regardless, it still is a mistake to sign anyone at this point, unless one of two things:

    1) Unless they're targeting Josh Childress
    2) Unless this potential signing is not for a SF, in which case, this post is moot.
    This might be a ploy to force Bosh's hand and/or get better sign and trade offers for him. First they spread the rumour that they might not be interested in doing a sign and trade with Bosh, then send out signals they are going to be using their MLE, which would back this up.

    Or they simply may feel that by waiting, they may lose any players they have interest in.

    I do think it would be hard to figure out who they'd want, however, if they still are planning to make a bunch of moves. Unless this is a "don't wait" signing like Brendan Haywood, Luis Scola or Mike Miller, which is not very likely.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    1,524
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry, on another thread you're arguing that the Raptors should start Marcus Banks because the most important thing for the Raptors is defense, but then you turn around here and say you think they should sign J.J. Reddick????

    ANYONE who has complained about the Raptors defense should not be pining for a below average defensive player to be signed by the Raptors.
    Acually from what I've been reading Reddick is not nearly as bad defensively as people like to think. This is from David Thorpe

    I find it absurd that you think JJ can not guard any starting two guard in the NBA. A good defenderís foundation is typically built on toughness, disposition, and intelligence. I have no doubt about his toughness and intelligence, and his disposition to defend should not be a problem if his coach tells him that he wonít be playing without trying to defend.
    http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/...thinks-jj.html

    Now this was written a few years ago, but I see no reason that this doesn't still apply to Reddick. He may not be the best defender in the league, but he's ahead of where DeRozen was last season and I don't think he will hurt us defensively as much as you make out.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Acually from what I've been reading Reddick is not nearly as bad defensively as people like to think. This is from David Thorpe


    http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/...thinks-jj.html

    Now this was written a few years ago, but I see no reason that this doesn't still apply to Reddick. He may not be the best defender in the league, but he's ahead of where DeRozen was last season and I don't think he will hurt us defensively as much as you make out.
    don't think Reddick is as bad defensively as people think, but he's still below average. You just need to watch him to see that. And Howard makes anyone look better. Reddick simply doesn't have the physical abilities to be even an average defender, I don't think. DeRozan struggled defensively mostly because he was a rookie. He's got the ability to be an above average defender and showed that in the last part of his year in college.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Acually from what I've been reading Reddick is not nearly as bad defensively as people like to think. This is from David Thorpe


    http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/...thinks-jj.html

    Now this was written a few years ago, but I see no reason that this doesn't still apply to Reddick. He may not be the best defender in the league, but he's ahead of where DeRozen was last season and I don't think he will hurt us defensively as much as you make out.
    All that quote says is JJ can guard SOME NBA guards as opposed to no NBA guards. Also states pretty clearly that his motivation to defend is lacking. If we spend the MLE on him, it wouldn't be a surprise that we'd be hesitant to bench him. All of that together hardly means he's even an average defender.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Guelph,ON
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    I like JJ Reddick, hope it's him if only to get a guy who torches us onto our side. He also played very well in the playoffs this year for the magic and will give us the spot up shooter we've been missing since Kapono started to suck.
    no please no kapono 2.0 . Though reddick is better then Kapono but hes still not what the raptors need

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What about Kyle Korver?

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    171
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would think the Magic would match any offer for Reddick....I would be happy with Matt Barnes or Shannon Brown...Brewer is o.k but just dont really want him even though he may be a better player then Barnes...Like Barnes toughness or Browns athletsism....Don't get me wrong I think JJ would be a good signing but Orlando will match....

  12. #12
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ronnie Brewer would be the best possible signing for the Raptors. He would provide strong defense.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie RAPT0RS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's secretly Wade for the MLE, but don't tell anyone...

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    648
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    None of those players, Barnes/Brewer/Brown/Redick, names have been mentioned by any source as ones that Toronto has interest in. That is just Doug Smith's personal list of the 4 that might fit best in Toronto.

    If you read his latest blog and his article he links in it, the only player he mentions that a source has told him the Raptors have interest in is Ryan Gomes.

  15. #15
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    None of those players, Barnes/Brewer/Brown/Redick, names have been mentioned by any source as ones that Toronto has interest in. That is just Doug Smith's personal list of the 4 that might fit best in Toronto.

    If you read his latest blog and his article he links in it, the only player he mentions that a source has told him the Raptors have interest in is Ryan Gomes.
    No free agents that aren't linked to potential Bosh destinations have been mentioned anywhere yet. If Colangelo is committed to improving defense then Ronnie Brewer is far ahead of everyone.

    No one was praising Barnes' defense until he landed in Orlando. In Phoenix he did nothing to improve their defense. I think his weaknesses are being hidden by Dwight's dominance and Rashard's good defense. Their team plays good D overall and are well coached. You put Barnes on the Raptors and he'll be in the boat next to Hedo. You'll be scratching your head wondering how such a defensive drop off could occur. Barnes is not a defensive difference maker like Brewer is.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Etobicoke
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    No free agents that aren't linked to potential Bosh destinations have been mentioned anywhere yet. If Colangelo is committed to improving defense then Ronnie Brewer is far ahead of everyone.

    No one was praising Barnes' defense until he landed in Orlando. In Phoenix he did nothing to improve their defense. I think his weaknesses are being hidden by Dwight's dominance and Rashard's good defense. Their team plays good D overall and are well coached. You put Barnes on the Raptors and he'll be in the boat next to Hedo. You'll be scratching your head wondering how such a defensive drop off could occur. Barnes is not a defensive difference maker like Brewer is.
    Um, Barnes WAS known for his defense before he signed with the Magic. He just enjoyed his best defensive year with the Magic because of Dwight Howard, but he didn't suck in the department prior to that.

    Barnes, 29, averaged 10.2 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists last season for Phoenix and is regarded as a versatile player off the bench who can guard forwards of all sizes and make the occasional 3-point shot.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4342767

    Personally I don't want Barnes. He's too inconsistent and will probably want to play a bigger role offensively. No thank you.

  17. #17
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Marz wrote: View Post
    Um, Barnes WAS known for his defense before he signed with the Magic. He just enjoyed his best defensive year with the Magic because of Dwight Howard, but he didn't suck in the department prior to that.
    I never said he sucked. I said he's not a defensive force and he certainly isn't the sort of impact defensive difference maker that Ronnie Brewer is becoming. You drop him down in the Raptors system and he won't have the extra something to overcome the incompetence of many of those around him in the rotation. Ronnie Brewer has the know how but he also has elite athleticism. Ronnie is going to be an elite defender when he hits his prime. That's my guess. You sign him and in a couple years the Raptors will have one of the most explosive defensive wing parings in the league in him and DeMar.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    While I liked Barnes game (mostly toughness/defense) with the Magic and Suns, he doesnt have a stellar record when playing for a not v/ good team (GSW). There is also the question of why teams wont give him a multi year contract. He might be the type who needs a good team to be motivated..I'd be careful with him. Brewer is probably the best of the bunch.

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hopefully its childress. Atlanta doesn't have the money to match a mid level exception offer for childress as they just tied all their money up with Joe Johnson. I would take any of the players barnes, brewer or reddick. Hopefully we find out soon

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Starter jeff_hostetler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Childress would be a crazy, home run signing, and it does make a little sense (i'll state the obvious here): Raps have a number of European players, Childress just played the last 2 years in Greece, could be a nice combination of complimentary playing styles. However, I also think Childress may want to sign with a team that lands one or two of the big name FA's. New York seems like a good destination (basing this opinion on absolutely nothing, of course).

    I doubt we'd be the ones Childress chooses, but it would be a good fit. A Turk/Childress combo would be decent indeed.

    And the boredom at this point has more to do with everything waiting on Wade LeBosh I would think. No one wants to make a move only to then take themselves out of consideration for the guy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •